Re: Haley Cotton

  • Tom Knox
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
      Lissel -

      > 1930 Perris, Riverside, California
      > McCain, Arthur C/46:AR, Minnie/41:AR, Elmer C/22, Odes W/19,
      > (), Lazo W/13, Willard J/10, Edward W/7, Cleo P/5
      > Cotton, Haley father-in-law 86 widowed married at age 21 born MS

      Have you followed Minnie Cotton McCain backward in the censuses?
      Maybe back to a census with her parents?

      Trying Haley Cotton all by himself -
      here's a possible combination, as Albert H (for Haley?) Cotton,
      son of Haley/Hally Cotton -

      1850 Beat 5, Leake, Mississippi
      Cotton, Hally/59:SC/farmer, Mafsey/46:SC, William M/23:MS,
      (), Benjamin F/18, Felix H/15, Louisa A/11, Albert H/8

      1860 (P.O. Carthage), Leake County, Mississippi
      Cotten, Haley/68:SC, Mapsey I/55:SC,
      (), B J F/26:MS, Lavenia A/20, Albert H/18

      The name "Haley" of "Haley Cotton"(1930) may have been his MIDDLE name!

      I have not (yet) found any possible connecting-censuses of 1870-1920.

      - Tom Knox IBSSG

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "lissel3" <lissel3@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Martha,
      >
      > Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born 1844
      > Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas. We have
      > been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930 census when he
      > was visiting a daughter in CA.
      >
      > Lissel

    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
        wrote:

        > Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born 1844
        > Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas. We
        have
        > been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930 census when
        he
        > was visiting a daughter in CA.
        >
        > Lissel

        Lissel:
        A quick check on Ancestry.com came up with a tree posted by
        Owner: VickieEbeling; from her Family tree on Ancestry.com
        Showed the followin info re: Haley Cotton

        Vital Information Facts & Events Relationship Events Relationships

        Vital Information
        Name: Haley Cotton
        Gender: Male
        Birth: 1843 in , , Mississippi, USA
        Death: 1932 in , , Texas, USA

        Facts & Events
        Residence: 1930 in Perris, Riverside, California

        Relationship Events with Unknown
        Marriage: Garland, Arkansas

        Relationships:
        Father:
        Mother:
        Wife: Mary Elizabeth Raspberry (Born: 1861)
        Children:
        Jesse Columbus Cotton (Born: 1881)
        Thomas H Cotton (Born: 1882)
        Minnie Viola Cotton (Born: 1888)
        Hattie M Cotton (Born: 1898)
        **********************************
        Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949 about Haley Cotton

        Name: Haley Cotton
        Spouse: Mary Elizabeth Rasberry
        County: Garland
        Source Information:
        Hunting For Bears, comp.. Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949 [database on-
        line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original
        data: Arkansas marriage information taken from county courthouse
        records. Many of these records were extracted from copies of the
        original records in microfilm, microfiche, or book format, located at
        the Family History Library.
        1930 United States Federal Census about Haley Cotton

        Name: Haley Cotton
        Home in 1930: Perris, Riverside, California
        Age: 86
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
        Birthplace: Mississippi
        Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law
        Race: White
        Occupation:
        Education:
        Military service:
        Rent/home value:
        Age at first marriage:
        Parents' birthplace: View Image
        Neighbors: View others on page

        Household Members: Name Age
        Arthur C McCain 46
        Minnie McCain 41
        Elmer C McCain 22
        Odes W McCain 19
        Lazo W McCain 13
        Willard J McCain 10
        Edward W McCain 7
        Cleo P McCain 5
        Haley Cotton 86

        Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Perris, Riverside,
        California; Roll: 183; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 31; Image:
        783.0.

        Source Information:

        Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line].
        Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002. Original data:
        United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of
        the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and
        Records Administration, 1930. T626, 2,667 rolls.

        California Death Index, 1940-1997
        about Jesse Columbus Cotton
        Name: Jesse Columbus Cotton
        Social Security #: 0
        Sex: MALE
        Birth Date: 6 Sep 1891
        Birthplace: Arkansas
        Death Date: 4 Dec 1955
        Death Place: Kern
        Mother's Maiden Name: Rasberry
        FATHER'S SURNAME: Cotton
        *********************

        Perhaps you could contact her through Ancestry.com to colloborate.
        She did not have any info posted on the tree for Haley's or Mary's
        parentage. If her info is correct, you might try to find Haleys death
        certificate in Texas records.
      • lissel3
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
          Thanks for the information about Haley Cotton. I also have a tree on
          ancestry.com but feel that I just need a bit more on Haley and I have
          pretty much exhausted ancestry's resources. A record of his death or
          a grave site would help to confirm his birth date which I feel could
          be an error since if he was actually born in 1844 his first child was
          born when he was in his 40's. I can not find a census for him that
          shows his children too, such as 1890 or 1900? Unless his name was
          misspelled.

          Lissel
        • Martha Menzel
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
            I got 10 hits for first name Haley, last name Cotton.
                 5 hits in Texas Marriages 1968-2003
                 1 hit in Texas Divorces 1968-2001
                 1 hit in Ohio County Times-News (Hartford, Kentucky)
                 1 hit in Malakoff News (Malakoff, Texas)
                 1 hit in Askov American (Askov, Minnesota)
                 1 hit in Mississippi Territory in the War of 1812

            None of these seem to be the right place or time.

            I tried footnote.com for "Haley Cotton".  I got 3,909 matches.  Of these, 4 were in AR--all in the >=1942 and 59 in Mississippi--most were in the 1900s.  There was 1 in 1824 and 2 in the early 1900's but unfortunately this isn't a very good search engine so they were about cotton (like in clothing).  If you want to search on footnote, if you find anything that you'd like to see, I can grab it for you.

            I tried newspaperarchives.com--16 hits; none right timeframe.

            I did find a 1900 census record for a Haley Cotton married to Mary, but it had his birth year as 1854; her birth year as 1861 and she the mother of no children.  I didn't think this was the right one either.  It was in Lincoln, MS.

            This link listed some land records listings Cotton and Haley Cotten:
            http://files.usgwarchives.net/ms/franklin/land/franklin-a-c.txt

            Sorry, none of this looks very promising...

            Martha

          • Tom Knox
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
              Sharon -

              Nice find on Haley!
              I didn't think to look at the Public Member trees.

              Lissel -

              A possible match -
              1870 Collins (P.O. Cutoff), Drew, Arkansas
              (indexed as COTLON but looks like COTTON)
              Cotton, Haly, 21 farm hand (dittoed born "Ark")
              NOTE:
              Yes, I know - *your* Haley was born Mississippi - but census
              enumerators were BIG violators in over-using ditto marks,
              and this might be your guy.

              - Tom Knox IBSSG

              --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
              <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

              > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "lissel3" <lissel3@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Martha,
              > > Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born
              1844 Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas.
              We have been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930
              census when he was visiting a daughter in CA.
              > > Lissel

            • Martha Menzel
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                1890 census is basically gone.  1900 might be possible.  What were his children's names and approximate birth dates.

                Martha