Re: Obituaries

  • Martha Menzel
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
      I will check worldvitalrecords.com when you post the names and dates

      Martha

    • lissel3
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Martha Menzel
        <menzelgen@...> wrote:

        > I will check worldvitalrecords.com when you post the names and dates
        >
        > Martha

        Hi Martha,

        Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born 1844
        Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas. We have
        been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930 census when he
        was visiting a daughter in CA.

        Lissel
      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
          Lissel -

          > 1930 Perris, Riverside, California
          > McCain, Arthur C/46:AR, Minnie/41:AR, Elmer C/22, Odes W/19,
          > (), Lazo W/13, Willard J/10, Edward W/7, Cleo P/5
          > Cotton, Haley father-in-law 86 widowed married at age 21 born MS

          Have you followed Minnie Cotton McCain backward in the censuses?
          Maybe back to a census with her parents?

          Trying Haley Cotton all by himself -
          here's a possible combination, as Albert H (for Haley?) Cotton,
          son of Haley/Hally Cotton -

          1850 Beat 5, Leake, Mississippi
          Cotton, Hally/59:SC/farmer, Mafsey/46:SC, William M/23:MS,
          (), Benjamin F/18, Felix H/15, Louisa A/11, Albert H/8

          1860 (P.O. Carthage), Leake County, Mississippi
          Cotten, Haley/68:SC, Mapsey I/55:SC,
          (), B J F/26:MS, Lavenia A/20, Albert H/18

          The name "Haley" of "Haley Cotton"(1930) may have been his MIDDLE name!

          I have not (yet) found any possible connecting-censuses of 1870-1920.

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "lissel3" <lissel3@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Martha,
          >
          > Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born 1844
          > Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas. We have
          > been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930 census when he
          > was visiting a daughter in CA.
          >
          > Lissel

        • Sharon
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
            wrote:

            > Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born 1844
            > Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas. We
            have
            > been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930 census when
            he
            > was visiting a daughter in CA.
            >
            > Lissel

            Lissel:
            A quick check on Ancestry.com came up with a tree posted by
            Owner: VickieEbeling; from her Family tree on Ancestry.com
            Showed the followin info re: Haley Cotton

            Vital Information Facts & Events Relationship Events Relationships

            Vital Information
            Name: Haley Cotton
            Gender: Male
            Birth: 1843 in , , Mississippi, USA
            Death: 1932 in , , Texas, USA

            Facts & Events
            Residence: 1930 in Perris, Riverside, California

            Relationship Events with Unknown
            Marriage: Garland, Arkansas

            Relationships:
            Father:
            Mother:
            Wife: Mary Elizabeth Raspberry (Born: 1861)
            Children:
            Jesse Columbus Cotton (Born: 1881)
            Thomas H Cotton (Born: 1882)
            Minnie Viola Cotton (Born: 1888)
            Hattie M Cotton (Born: 1898)
            **********************************
            Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949 about Haley Cotton

            Name: Haley Cotton
            Spouse: Mary Elizabeth Rasberry
            County: Garland
            Source Information:
            Hunting For Bears, comp.. Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949 [database on-
            line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original
            data: Arkansas marriage information taken from county courthouse
            records. Many of these records were extracted from copies of the
            original records in microfilm, microfiche, or book format, located at
            the Family History Library.
            1930 United States Federal Census about Haley Cotton

            Name: Haley Cotton
            Home in 1930: Perris, Riverside, California
            Age: 86
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
            Birthplace: Mississippi
            Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law
            Race: White
            Occupation:
            Education:
            Military service:
            Rent/home value:
            Age at first marriage:
            Parents' birthplace: View Image
            Neighbors: View others on page

            Household Members: Name Age
            Arthur C McCain 46
            Minnie McCain 41
            Elmer C McCain 22
            Odes W McCain 19
            Lazo W McCain 13
            Willard J McCain 10
            Edward W McCain 7
            Cleo P McCain 5
            Haley Cotton 86

            Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Perris, Riverside,
            California; Roll: 183; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 31; Image:
            783.0.

            Source Information:

            Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line].
            Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002. Original data:
            United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of
            the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and
            Records Administration, 1930. T626, 2,667 rolls.

            California Death Index, 1940-1997
            about Jesse Columbus Cotton
            Name: Jesse Columbus Cotton
            Social Security #: 0
            Sex: MALE
            Birth Date: 6 Sep 1891
            Birthplace: Arkansas
            Death Date: 4 Dec 1955
            Death Place: Kern
            Mother's Maiden Name: Rasberry
            FATHER'S SURNAME: Cotton
            *********************

            Perhaps you could contact her through Ancestry.com to colloborate.
            She did not have any info posted on the tree for Haley's or Mary's
            parentage. If her info is correct, you might try to find Haleys death
            certificate in Texas records.
          • lissel3
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
              Thanks for the information about Haley Cotton. I also have a tree on
              ancestry.com but feel that I just need a bit more on Haley and I have
              pretty much exhausted ancestry's resources. A record of his death or
              a grave site would help to confirm his birth date which I feel could
              be an error since if he was actually born in 1844 his first child was
              born when he was in his 40's. I can not find a census for him that
              shows his children too, such as 1890 or 1900? Unless his name was
              misspelled.

              Lissel
            • Martha Menzel
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
                I got 10 hits for first name Haley, last name Cotton.
                     5 hits in Texas Marriages 1968-2003
                     1 hit in Texas Divorces 1968-2001
                     1 hit in Ohio County Times-News (Hartford, Kentucky)
                     1 hit in Malakoff News (Malakoff, Texas)
                     1 hit in Askov American (Askov, Minnesota)
                     1 hit in Mississippi Territory in the War of 1812

                None of these seem to be the right place or time.

                I tried footnote.com for "Haley Cotton".  I got 3,909 matches.  Of these, 4 were in AR--all in the >=1942 and 59 in Mississippi--most were in the 1900s.  There was 1 in 1824 and 2 in the early 1900's but unfortunately this isn't a very good search engine so they were about cotton (like in clothing).  If you want to search on footnote, if you find anything that you'd like to see, I can grab it for you.

                I tried newspaperarchives.com--16 hits; none right timeframe.

                I did find a 1900 census record for a Haley Cotton married to Mary, but it had his birth year as 1854; her birth year as 1861 and she the mother of no children.  I didn't think this was the right one either.  It was in Lincoln, MS.

                This link listed some land records listings Cotton and Haley Cotten:
                http://files.usgwarchives.net/ms/franklin/land/franklin-a-c.txt

                Sorry, none of this looks very promising...

                Martha

              • Tom Knox
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
                  Sharon -

                  Nice find on Haley!
                  I didn't think to look at the Public Member trees.

                  Lissel -

                  A possible match -
                  1870 Collins (P.O. Cutoff), Drew, Arkansas
                  (indexed as COTLON but looks like COTTON)
                  Cotton, Haly, 21 farm hand (dittoed born "Ark")
                  NOTE:
                  Yes, I know - *your* Haley was born Mississippi - but census
                  enumerators were BIG violators in over-using ditto marks,
                  and this might be your guy.

                  - Tom Knox IBSSG

                  --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Knox"
                  <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

                  > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "lissel3" <lissel3@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Martha,
                  > > Would you mind checking worldvitalrecords for Haley Cotton born
                  1844 Mississippi. He married Mary Elizabeth Rasberry in Arkansas.
                  We have been searching for him with no luck other than the 1930
                  census when he was visiting a daughter in CA.
                  > > Lissel

                • Martha Menzel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                    1890 census is basically gone.  1900 might be possible.  What were his children's names and approximate birth dates.

                    Martha