Google Earth

  • veggykid15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      Does anyone used Google Earth with there genealogy?
      Thanks, Lauren

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.

    • kelly spadini
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
        I don't really use Google earth for genealogy, but I DO use it for fun!! I could spend hours on that thing.

        Kelly

        To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com; genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.comFrom: veggykid15@...: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:41:12 -0400Subject: [genchatfriends] Google Earth

        Does anyone used Google Earth with there genealogy?Thanks, Lauren**************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos. (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Ron Gadzalinski
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
          Yes, I do from time to time.  It's great to see aerial views of cemeteries, towns, neighborhoods, etc.

          -Ron

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
            I have occasionally used it to lend perspective as to where ancestors have
            come from (other countries).

            _____

            Does anyone used Google Earth with there genealogy?
            Thanks, Lauren

            Read reviews on AOL Autos.
            (http://autos.
            <http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000
            017> aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

          • Joseph
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
              Kelly, I too have not used it with my family history, but I HAVE located
              my family's homes, and even my grandfather's old farm in Pennsylvania
              and the place where I grew up.... it's a blast.... I think I saw a
              woodchuck in my back yard....

              Actually, I thought it quite interesting that the from of my house is at
              500 feet elevation. I've looked all over our town. What I discovered
              is that it will let you get views in ways never considered before. We
              have a bluff on two sides of our town. I wanted to see just how those
              bluffs looked from the end of town, and low to the horizon so I could
              actually see the bluffs and their elevation. Sure enough it worked.
              Then I went to Pen Mar, MD and looked at views like that of Black Rock
              where hang gliders jump.

              Yup! It's a blast

              Joseph

              kelly spadini wrote:
              > I don't really use Google earth for genealogy, but I DO use it for fun!! I could spend hours on that thing.
              >
              > Kelly

            • Tom Knox
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
                Lauren -

                MapYourAncestors.com is an interesting "Google-mashup"
                that can be used to trace your ancestors movements
                through the generations (and some other maps).
                http://www.mapyourancestors.com/
                based on Google-maps (granted, it's not GoogleEarth)

                - Tom Knox