I need help

  • spiritwolf_wolfwalker
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
      I am trying to learn to do genealogy. I don't know what I am doing and
      I have a very limited income that keeps me from signing up for the
      research places online. How do I do this with no money?
    • kelly spadini
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
        Well ancestry.com has a 14 day free trial, and if you cancel before the 14 days is up you do not pay a dime. There are also alot of free websites that can help. I would also suggest checking your library and seeing what resources they have available to you.

        Kelly
        ________________________________
        > To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
        > From: spiritwolf_wolfwalker@...
        > Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:35:53 +0000
        > Subject: [genchatfriends] I need help
        >

        > I am trying to learn to do genealogy. I don't know what I am doing and
        > I have a very limited income that keeps me from signing up for the
        > research places online. How do I do this with no money?

        http://www.windowslive.com/family_safety/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_family_safety_072008
      • ljm
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
          First of all, don't worry about spending any money, you will find
          that you can research for free. Secondly, do a bit of research on
          the methods of genealogy. Kimberly Powell over at about.com
          (genealogy section) has a very good tutorial for beginners.
          Familysearch.org has one as well. And I do believe there is a book
          you can check out at the library called "Genealogy for Dummies".

          Once you have written down all the information you know then you
          start with the unknown. Use these resources in your research:

          Federal Census(1790-1930)go to a library that has ancestry.com, all
          you need is a library card OR locate a LDS(Mormans) center in your
          town, you can order census film for a small fee(or they may have
          certain years in their facility)) Familysearch.org has the 1880
          census for free. The Mormans have the largest genealogy holdings in
          the world. Learn how to use the federal census in your research,
          there are books you can get from the library just on the federal
          census.

          SSDI: The Social Security Death Index lists all deceased people who
          were receiving benefits. Access this through rootsweb.com or
          familysearch.org. The SSDI helps in determining date of death and
          location.

          Ellis Island website has passenger lists if your ancestors were
          foreign born

          Many libraries have extensive genealogy sections, most with a
          genealogy society as well. They will help you get started.
          Libraries have newspapers on microfilm if you need to find an obit
          or death notice.

          Volunteer websites: Rootsweb.com and USGENWEB.com Volunteers have
          transcribed and contributed documents/research. RAOGK.org is a site
          where people will look things up for you from their collection for
          free.

          I could go on and on, but don't forget your most important resource,
          your family. Start interviewing them and get copies of documents,
          such as birth, death, marriage, baptismal certificates. Funeral
          cards and obit clippings. Old photographs can be scanned and saved
          to your computer.

          And lastly, a word on organization, it is very important that you
          develop a filing system. Usually a folder for each person and their
          spouse is sufficient. I make a master folder for the surname I am
          researching and then put my individual folders in the master
          folder. My master folder also contains information on the location
          I am researching. If all of your ancestors lived in Illinois, then
          make a folder for all the resources available to you in Illinois as
          well. There are many genealogical forms available for free on the
          internet as well. These forms help organize your data:

          Family Group Sheet
          Pedigree Chart
          Research Log

          Good Luck and you can always post questions here when you need
          help. You will find fellow researchers love helping others!

          Linda(ljm0755)

          genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "spiritwolf_wolfwalker"

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
            First off, welcome aboard!

            The best advice I can give you is to start with yourself.  Gather all of your own data and that of your immediate family.  Then move to your parents and gather what you know about them.  Look for family papers to help with dates and places.  Work backwards.  Death/marriage/baptism/birth.  Keep a record of what you learn on each person.  If you cannot afford a program like Family Tree Maker, as an example, I believe there are free programs to be downloaded.  Others can advise you on that.

            Go to the library and find  'how to' or beginner books on Genealogy to help you get started.  I belong to a particular genealogical chat group that has sessions during the week to help teach newbies and it's free.  I believe it's offered through Rootsweb.  Rootsweb is also a free online site that you can join and do some online searches.

            When you've gathered enough paperwork on your immediate family, you'll want to interview your older family members.  Bring a recorder if you can, and take notes!  Go through family photos and ask these older members who people are, if you don't know them.

            Basically, you have to become a detective.

            Hope this helps in some small way.

            ~april

            "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
              The volunteers in LDS Family History Centers are mostly researchers
              (not professional) themselves and some are very knowledgable. They
              will be able to assist you but the main work will be yours. You will
              have to pay a small fee for anything printed out - was 10 cents a
              page. And you can order microfiche or microfilm through the center
              (they have readers) but there is a charge for that. The best way to
              find out about the library and what can be done is to visit with some
              of your info and people you are looking for - with as much on them as
              you have.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
                Found the Url for the chat group site.
                http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genealogylookup/chatroom.html

                ~april

                "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                I am trying to learn to do genealogy. I don't know what I am doing and
                I have a very limited income that keeps me from signing up for the
                research places online. How do I do this with no money?

              • Shawna Wolfgang
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
                  I've read all of the responses to this request for help and they are all
                  full of awesome suggestions!

                  The only things that I did not see mentioned is a very valuable website:

                  http://cyndislist.com/

                  Happy hunting. :o)

                  Shawna

                  Grand Rapids, MI