Re: [genchatfriends] Re: Psychiatric Hospital Patients

  • annystokes
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2008
      Oh Lisa .... I'm horrified at how these things were/are handled. It actually makes me angry.

      Your mother probably wasn't even given a picture of her precious Grace Ann. I would imagine your mother has been a bit 'stuck' in her grief and anger about it. And the questions ... she probably has wondered if it was somehow her fault. I know -- breach isn't anybody's fault, but you know how the mind of a mother works : )) I'd love for your mother to find a pastor who understands grief to help her walk it through - even though it's been 48, it doesn't matter. My husband helped his grandmother walk through the feelings about her mother's death when his grandmother was only 12. She had *never* told anyone how she blamed herself -- all b/c of some misspoken words by the doctor about praying & having faith for her mother to get well. She didn't get well and his grandmother blamed herself for over 60 yrs. He was able to have just one conversation with her about it -- to explain the truth & her heart was literally set free from that terrible, deep burden.

      That's not the purpose of this website, but thought I'd share that little story.

      Plus, you got 'cheated' to not have Grace Ann be an open, loving subject. This has happened with relatives of mine around the death of my little brother. My children told their cousins about Uncle John -- they'd never heard of him from my brothers. Silly things we do as frail human beings in imperfect loving families : ))

      As for the hospital "taking care of" these dear babies ... I know they're trying to help, and alleviate a burial expense for a grieving family, but geeeee .... To knock a mother out for 3 days (I would be willing to bet it was not medically necessary) ... yikes. The daughter of a lifetime friends of ours had a baby a few months ago who died about 5 hrs after birth. The parents had gone through the same thing (and it was handled much like with your mother), so the dad took his son-in-law aside and told him to spend as much time as possible with that dear baby, to hold her (her name was "Patience"), etc. The son-in-law was reluctant and then the father said, "Trust me, son, you will regret it deeply if you don't. It'll be OK. We'll help you both through it." They did. The difference in the aftermath is remarkable. Just as brokenhearted ... but no regrets ... and Patience Marie was able to be loved on during her 5 short hours - dying in her mother's loving arms.

      If you can find a burial site, it would be an idea to visit it -- put a flower on it -- finish out a bit of what wasn't done before.

      My .02 and more than anyone wanted to know : ))

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2008
        Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom.

        ~april

        "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

        Oh Lisa .... I'm horrified at how these things were/are handled. It actually makes me angry.

        <snipped for brevity>>
        My .02 and more than anyone wanted to know : ))

        Anny

        MARKETPLACE
        You rock! Blockbuster wants to give you a complimentary trial of Blockbuster Total Access.

        Recent Activity
        *  9
        New MembersVisit Your Group
        Wellness Spot
        Embrace Change
        Break the Yo-Yo
        weight loss cycle.
        Special K Group
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Learn how others
        are losing pounds.
        Yahoo! Groups
        Join people over 40
        who are finding ways
        to stay in shape.
        .

      • P Hammond
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
          I am a nurse; all hospitals are required to keep detailed records. Records that old will be in an archived records somewhere, I would think. Otherwise the hospital may be state owned; find out. Records may be in some court records. Also find out where the city cemetary is located. They will have records of everone who is buried there. If she was declared a ward of the state because she was "indegent" or on disability for her illness that will probaby be where she is buried. Good luck and keep us informed.
          Pam
        • Debbie Genealogy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
            Pam,
            Please keep in mind that those detailed meticulous records you kept may have been destroyed. My medical group had signs up in several offices welcoming patients from another medical group and in fine print it stated the long complicated and short deadline how patients who were NOT signing up with our group had to follow or their records would be destoyed. How these brainac's decided that posting the notice at a medical office that they wouldn't likely be visiting is beyond me, but I guess their lawyers felt it was legal.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
              Pam -- I'm so glad to get this info even though I'm not the one searching. I hadn't thought of court records or the city cemetery. Good to know -- I hope I can retain this information for the next time I need this kind of information.

              Hopefully this will give Deborah the direction she needed for her search since her aunt was given to the state of NJ and resided in the Trenton State Psychiatric facility.

              My brother was in a private institution in Houston, TX. It is no longer around. My brother was a baby, but he wasn't ever made a ward of the state. I would think a power of medical attorney was given to the hospital?? I would love very much to find the day-to-day records on his short life (14 mos). Do private institutions/hospitals have to keep these records archives forever? I know we looked for hospital records for my father-in-law (died in 1953), but they said it was too long ago and the records had been destroyed. As it turned out, his Army history during WWII had been destroyed in a warehouse fire in the 70's. If only we'd started looking sooner : (

              Thanks,

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                You know, this happened to me. My OB/Gyn retired. There was a short period in which we could get our records as no particular doctor was obtaining them. I lost that letter, so I tried to contact the doctor -- well, there's no contact information anywhere. I think she probably put all the records in storage, but I can't find how to contact her about it!

                Ugh. One would think having a P.O. Box listed for future correspondence would be a good idea.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                  Simply print out the email for your hard files and then you won't have to rely on your memory!  :-)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                    Will have to do that as soon as I get a new ink cartridge : ) Thanks for the reminder to do that!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                      Hi Folks!

                      I don't contribute much but I have the following information to share on Psychiatric Hospital Patients.

                      I'm from North Dakota & we had an institution called San Haven. Originally, it was a place to take tuberculosis (TB) patients. Many of these patients were of average intelligence or higher. Unfortunately, relatives just left their family members, never to come back again. Some years later, San Haven became a mental institution. The worst of the worst patients were at this place. The TB patients became "institutionalized". By default, they remained at San Haven. Where else were they to go if family did not pick them up?

                      Sooooooo, what places in your states may have started out as a place to take TB patients & end up being mental institutions.

                      Michele aka Veetzy