Question

  • Marge
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2008
      My ancestor Edmond Du Castle/Chastel is reported by several secondary sources to have taken the oath of allegiance from the proprietor William Penn in Philadelphia on Sept. 10, 1683. Where exactly would a person find the original document???
      Thanks, Marge

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 17, 2008
        Check out the other information regarding your family members on those same census records and see if it "fits".  I found the name of my father's maternal grandmother quite by accident.  She was listed as Sarah Gallitto by the person who transcribed the census record for the online service.  When I took a look at it, however, I quickly discerned that the transcriber had made a huge error -- Gallitto wasn't even close to what was written.  I could see plainly the the surname on the record was my grandmother's maiden name, Rabbitts.  I can only put down such mistakes to human error.  Perhaps this transcriber was at the end of a very long day, and eyes were no longer functioning to complete capacity.  :-P

        Another census record where I found a huge error, was one with my mother's family.  She (my mother) was an infant at the time, but the way it was noted had her born ten years prior, rather than being 10/12, as I've seen other census takers record it.  Everything else was correct, the names of her parents and older step-brother and where everybody was born so I knew this was my family.

        ~april

        "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 18, 2008
          And, it's not limited to census records.  My husband's grandmother was Margarette Rita Kitt.  On the Ellis Island immigration records she was Gretta Kitt.

          Martha