Boston Globe research question

  • eric.moskowitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm a newspaper reporter with The Boston Globe trying to find four
      women who worked for Consolidated Vultee (Convair) in Tucson, Arizona,
      during World War II, or get in touch with their descendants. I was
      wondering if anyone on this list might be able to point me in a
      helpful direction.

      The women were four of thousands of Rosie the Riveters who helped
      build bombers during the war. Their signatures were found on a
      fragment of a B-24 that was unearthed in New Guinea by JPAC, which is
      the military unit that works to track down, identify, and return the
      remains of missing US soldiers from all wars. The names of the women
      who signed this B-24 panel are:
      --Mary Sasso
      --Florence Valine
      --Bess Flemming
      --Jean Diemer

      I was able to track down Florence Valine's sister in California, but I
      have not made progress identifying the other three or connecting with
      their relatives. Unfortunately, I don't know how long the women lived
      in Arizona or if they ever married and changed their last names.

      If anyone has any suggestions on how to find more information about
      them, I'd be eager to hear from you. Please email me directly at
      emoskowitz@... or call me at 781-860-5560. Thanks!

      Sincerely,
      Eric

      Eric Moskowitz
      Reporter / The Boston Globe
      Phone: 781-860-5560
      emoskowitz@...
    • annystokes
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2008
        What a great thing to do Eric!

        My son did some pro-bono work for an elderly man trying to find the remains of his brother who was a pilot killed in actions on an island in the South Pacific. JPAC was dragging their feet and this man was well into his 80's. They had nothing of his brother's. Finally, the work was done. The plane wasn't unearthed (buried in mountain mud slides over the years) but they were able to find some eye witnesses. He was put in contact with family members of the enemy pilot. That turned out to be a powerful experience.

        You who do this work for families are heroes too.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
          Eric,
          I will cross post this on some of the other groups I belong to and see
          if anyone knows anything.
          Stacey
        • Stacey
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
            Eric,
            Your email didn't post properly in the original message so I am having
            to respond here. This is what we found by looking in the SSDI and
            census, so far we have found no relations.

            Social Security Death Index
            Mary Sasso 8 Sep 1895 May 1984 Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona

            Jean C. Diener 30 Jan 1920 27 Dec 1999 Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona

            1910 census
            Mary Lasso
            [Mary Sasso] spouse Tony Globe Ward 4, Gila, AZ abt 1881 Italy Wife

            My suggestion would be to use your connections and put an article in
            the Arizona paper. If the SSDI persons listed above have relatives in
            the area you may get a wonderful response.
            Stacey