Re: [genchatfriends] Re: How to preserve old polaroids???

  • annystokes
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
      Oh good point! Before you do anything, print copies on acid free paper, burn CD copies, then look into a restorationist. With your scan, I think a photo company online could at least make new prints of your current photos. Then a restorationist could fix them. Or maybe a restorationist could do both of those things. Anyway, protect your photos with the prints on paper & photo paper & burn the CD.

      Anyone suggest a particular restorationist? I have some I want fixed for my husband.

      Thanks,

      Ann

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
        Well that sounds like a smart idea but I am kinda limited on money.
        If its not too expensive then I would.
        Sucks not having all the money that I need.

        Keri

        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "James"
        <Bmntywlsh55@...> wrote:

        > Hi Keri!
        > I don't blame you for wanting to preserve those photos. I hope
        using
        > the methods outlined will do it.
        > I think you should have a professional restorer, or whatever
        they're
        > called, make copies of them on new acid free paper - preferably
        > enlarged if that can be done without affecting the clarity of the
        > image. I have had some old photos - very old - as well as 2 glass
        > plates done and the work is fantastic.
        >
        > Good luck with your project.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
        wrote:

        > > I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I
        was
        > > infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it.
        > > couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new
        photo
        > > album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth
        surname
        > > on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9
        foster
        > > parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Keri

      • annystokes
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
          I'll have to try this. Hadn't thought of it. My sister-in-law makes photos of her paintings so I can see them.

          Ann

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
            Your signature quote is marvelous!

            Ann

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
              I 'hear' you on that one! Maybe having a print made from a scan made at a photo shop would be doable? Both sides?

              Individual acid free photo holders/protectors would be available at a photo shop. Maybe they wouldn't be too pricey.

              Ann

              <Bmntywlsh55@...> wrote:

              > Hi Keri!
              > I don't blame you for wanting to preserve those photos. I hope
              using
              > the methods outlined will do it.
              > I think you should have a professional restorer, or whatever
              they're
              > called, make copies of them on new acid free paper - preferably
              > enlarged if that can be done without affecting the clarity of the
              > image. I have had some old photos - very old - as well as 2 glass
              > plates done and the work is fantastic.
              >
              > Good luck with your project.
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
              wrote:

              > > I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I
              was
              > > infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it.
              > > couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new
              photo
              > > album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth
              surname
              > > on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9
              foster
              > > parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > Keri

            • annystokes
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                Scan through some of these items -- some of them are quite inexpensive. S/H would cost more, so getting them locally through an office supply store (chain ones are cheaper) or photo store.

                There are archival boxes of all sizes, file folders, slip covers, etc.

                http://www.archival.com/productcatalog/archivalboxes.shtml

                It'll give you some ideas of what is out there.

                Ann

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                  Fun, isn't it? I don't recall where I first saw it, but I make sure to put it in quotes since I did not craft the thought myself.

                  _____

                  I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I was a
                  infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it. A
                  couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new photo
                  album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth surname
                  on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9 foster
                  parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.

                  Thanks.

                  Keri

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                    I make my own prints of the photos I've scanned. The paper can be a bit pricey, but a lot less expensive than having somebody else do it for me. Really, you should check and see what kind of program you have on your computer already. Some come with some kind of print shop capabilities. From there you can print out copies.

                    I hear you on the economics of it all. We've recently moved to another state, but our old house didn't sell. So, needless to say we're stuck paying two mortgages, currently. I know what it's like not to have two nickels to rub together!

                    Best of luck with your preservation project. Keep the prints in a dark box in the meantime.

                    ~april

                    "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                    I 'hear' you on that one! Maybe having a print made from a scan made at a photo shop would be doable? Both sides?

                    Individual acid free photo holders/protectors would be available at a photo shop. Maybe they wouldn't be too pricey.

                    Ann

                    Recent Activity
                    5New Members
                    Visit Your Group
                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Home Improvement
                    Learn and share
                    do-it-yourself tips.
                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Balance your life
                    by learning how to
                    make smart choices.
                    Y! Groups blog
                    The place to go
                    to stay informed
                    on Groups news!.

                  • Keri
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 18, 2008
                      Thank you all for your great ideas!!
                      I will look into all of them and give some a try.

                      Keri

                      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, April_Anastasia