Re: How to preserve old polaroids???

  • James
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
      Hi Keri!
      I don't blame you for wanting to preserve those photos. I hope using
      the methods outlined will do it.
      I think you should have a professional restorer, or whatever they're
      called, make copies of them on new acid free paper - preferably
      enlarged if that can be done without affecting the clarity of the
      image. I have had some old photos - very old - as well as 2 glass
      plates done and the work is fantastic.

      Good luck with your project.

      Jim

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:

      > I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I was
      > infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it. A
      > couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new photo
      > album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth surname
      > on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9 foster
      > parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Keri

    • annystokes
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
        Oh good point! Before you do anything, print copies on acid free paper, burn CD copies, then look into a restorationist. With your scan, I think a photo company online could at least make new prints of your current photos. Then a restorationist could fix them. Or maybe a restorationist could do both of those things. Anyway, protect your photos with the prints on paper & photo paper & burn the CD.

        Anyone suggest a particular restorationist? I have some I want fixed for my husband.

        Thanks,

        Ann

        I don't blame you for wanting to preserve those photos. I hope using
        the methods outlined will do it.
        I think you should have a professional restorer, or whatever they're
        called, make copies of them on new acid free paper - preferably
        enlarged if that can be done without affecting the clarity of the
        image. I have had some old photos - very old - as well as 2 glass
        plates done and the work is fantastic.

        Good luck with your project.

        Jim

        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:

        > I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I was
        > infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it. A
        > couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new photo
        > album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth surname
        > on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9 foster
        > parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Keri

      • Keri
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
          Well that sounds like a smart idea but I am kinda limited on money.
          If its not too expensive then I would.
          Sucks not having all the money that I need.

          Keri

          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "James"
          <Bmntywlsh55@...> wrote:

          > Hi Keri!
          > I don't blame you for wanting to preserve those photos. I hope
          using
          > the methods outlined will do it.
          > I think you should have a professional restorer, or whatever
          they're
          > called, make copies of them on new acid free paper - preferably
          > enlarged if that can be done without affecting the clarity of the
          > image. I have had some old photos - very old - as well as 2 glass
          > plates done and the work is fantastic.
          >
          > Good luck with your project.
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
          wrote:

          > > I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I
          was
          > > infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it.
          > > couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new
          photo
          > > album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth
          surname
          > > on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9
          foster
          > > parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Keri

        • annystokes
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
            I'll have to try this. Hadn't thought of it. My sister-in-law makes photos of her paintings so I can see them.

            Ann

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
              Your signature quote is marvelous!

              Ann

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                I 'hear' you on that one! Maybe having a print made from a scan made at a photo shop would be doable? Both sides?

                Individual acid free photo holders/protectors would be available at a photo shop. Maybe they wouldn't be too pricey.

                Ann

                <Bmntywlsh55@...> wrote:

                > Hi Keri!
                > I don't blame you for wanting to preserve those photos. I hope
                using
                > the methods outlined will do it.
                > I think you should have a professional restorer, or whatever
                they're
                > called, make copies of them on new acid free paper - preferably
                > enlarged if that can be done without affecting the clarity of the
                > image. I have had some old photos - very old - as well as 2 glass
                > plates done and the work is fantastic.
                >
                > Good luck with your project.
                >
                > Jim
                >
                > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                wrote:

                > > I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I
                was
                > > infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it.
                > > couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new
                photo
                > > album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth
                surname
                > > on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9
                foster
                > > parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Keri

              • annystokes
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                  Scan through some of these items -- some of them are quite inexpensive. S/H would cost more, so getting them locally through an office supply store (chain ones are cheaper) or photo store.

                  There are archival boxes of all sizes, file folders, slip covers, etc.

                  http://www.archival.com/productcatalog/archivalboxes.shtml

                  It'll give you some ideas of what is out there.

                  Ann

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                    Fun, isn't it? I don't recall where I first saw it, but I make sure to put it in quotes since I did not craft the thought myself.

                    _____

                    I have some old Polaroid photos from 1973. They are of me when I was a
                    infant and they seem to have a hard cardboard type backing on it. A
                    couple of them are coming apart and I want to put it in my new photo
                    album. I dont want to loose the backing cause it has my birth surname
                    on it and my given name that was given to me by one of the 9 foster
                    parents I had. Any ideas??? They are very important to me.

                    Thanks.

                    Keri

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                      I make my own prints of the photos I've scanned. The paper can be a bit pricey, but a lot less expensive than having somebody else do it for me. Really, you should check and see what kind of program you have on your computer already. Some come with some kind of print shop capabilities. From there you can print out copies.

                      I hear you on the economics of it all. We've recently moved to another state, but our old house didn't sell. So, needless to say we're stuck paying two mortgages, currently. I know what it's like not to have two nickels to rub together!

                      Best of luck with your preservation project. Keep the prints in a dark box in the meantime.

                      ~april

                      "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                      I 'hear' you on that one! Maybe having a print made from a scan made at a photo shop would be doable? Both sides?

                      Individual acid free photo holders/protectors would be available at a photo shop. Maybe they wouldn't be too pricey.

                      Ann

                      Recent Activity
                      5New Members
                      Visit Your Group
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Home Improvement
                      Learn and share
                      do-it-yourself tips.
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Balance your life
                      by learning how to
                      make smart choices.
                      Y! Groups blog
                      The place to go
                      to stay informed
                      on Groups news!.

                    • Keri
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 18, 2008
                        Thank you all for your great ideas!!
                        I will look into all of them and give some a try.

                        Keri

                        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, April_Anastasia