Re: Long Island Suffolk County NY

  • sullyjay1
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
      Thanks Stacy,
      what you found in your searching are my Satterlys I to have gone
      forward going back is my problem boy a Bible record or a Church
      record is my only hope I think on finding Arminda's parents ,
      I have contacted the Bellport church,Caroline church in Brookhaven &
      Congrenational in Patchoque and eather they dont have records back
      that far or wont even look .
      Soooo yea this family is my BIG brick wall LOL !
      Thanks for all your help and input.
      Terry

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey"
      <zoerhenne@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I looked for Satterly's and Dayton's for you. I agree that it
      is
      > extremely difficult to find things on women born in the early
      1800's
      > if they do not show with their parents around 1850 or 1860. What
      you
      > have to do is find out sibling and other info and narrow down the
      > probable dots/dashes. That said, I tried another route. I thought
      > maybe by going forward that Arminda's parents migh be living with a
      > son or daughter as they got elderly. This is what I found along the
      > way:
      >
      > 1880 Port Jefferson-Brookhaven Suffolk County NY
      > Charles Satterly 47 Sailor is living with his inlaws Benjamin S
      > *Berwick/Dervick(?) 74 Painter and Jane 60 Keeping House. The wife
      > Sarah A. 40 At home. All born in NY.
      > *Hard to read*
      >
      > 1870 9 WD 16 ED New York NY
      > William Satterly 30 Bookkeeper and Catherine 40 Keeping House both
      > born in NY
      >
      > 1880 Huntington Suffolk County NY
      > Arminda Satterley 84 Head Wd Birth 11 Children 6 living born NY
      > Father born NY Mother born CT
      >
      > Dont know if they're yours or helpful at all but thought I'd toss
      > them your way. BTW, this all came from Heritage Quest. I couldn't
      > figure out anything else. Also, as a side note, it would be helpful
      > to put the county (Suffolk) in your posts to ease in search help.
      > Stacey

    • annystokes
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
        Terry,

        I had the same problem getting information from a church. It took repeated, gentle requests before I got a response from one church. Finally they had someone who was willing to take care of the historical information. Yet, a huge church here in Dallas has not responded me even though they *have* a historian on deck ... go figure. Sometimes requests don't make it to the right person's desk or get buried on a desk (I've been guilty of that one!). Repeated requests can move it onto a real "to do" list : ) Don't give up!

        Ann

        <zoerhenne@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I looked for Satterly's and Dayton's for you. I agree that it
        is
        > extremely difficult to find things on women born in the early
        1800's
        > if they do not show with their parents around 1850 or 1860. What
        you
        > have to do is find out sibling and other info and narrow down the
        > probable dots/dashes. That said, I tried another route. I thought
        > maybe by going forward that Arminda's parents migh be living with a
        > son or daughter as they got elderly. This is what I found along the
        > way:
        >
        > 1880 Port Jefferson-Brookhaven Suffolk County NY
        > Charles Satterly 47 Sailor is living with his inlaws Benjamin S
        > *Berwick/Dervick(?) 74 Painter and Jane 60 Keeping House. The wife
        > Sarah A. 40 At home. All born in NY.
        > *Hard to read*
        >
        > 1870 9 WD 16 ED New York NY
        > William Satterly 30 Bookkeeper and Catherine 40 Keeping House both
        > born in NY
        >
        > 1880 Huntington Suffolk County NY
        > Arminda Satterley 84 Head Wd Birth 11 Children 6 living born NY
        > Father born NY Mother born CT
        >
        > Dont know if they're yours or helpful at all but thought I'd toss
        > them your way. BTW, this all came from Heritage Quest. I couldn't
        > figure out anything else. Also, as a side note, it would be helpful
        > to put the county (Suffolk) in your posts to ease in search help.
        > Stacey

      • john van buskirk
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18, 2008
          Hi If you let me e-mail you directly I can send extensive Dayton data, it is too much for the group -it woulld be boring for them. I will give you here a brief overview. Ralph Dayton and Alice Goldhatch Trittoon married in Ashford Kent England in 1617, had 6 chjildren there, came to America about 1639 first to New Haven CT, then to East Hampton Long Island about 1649.
          His sons Samuel and Robert both left large families who lived in Long Island.
          at the time tjhe Duch had NewYork City end, The Suffolk Co area was really a Connecticut off shoot. Samuel especially lived in both areas. Samuel actually was a pioneer in the Brookhaven areas, North Hampton or North Sea and his farming area stretched from the Sound to the Ocean, he also did live in Bellport. Of his 10 childfen, I have found only 2 with traced lines. I come from the Robert side. I have moe there, but still limited amounts. My uncle REv
          charles H Dayton who got me started in genealogy prepared his booklet "A Branch of the Dayton Family" finished1951, had a letter in his files callling genealogy the favorite sport of the Dayton Boys. I guess I inherited the gene from him. But, each of the Dayton boys apparently took one rrne and carried it in detail, and omitted all other lines. There is no comprensive work that I know of. Thre is a Dayton message board and mailing list thru rootsweb / ancestry (still,free)From the many queries about many names I have no info on, there many like you still trying to solve this family. I am happy to share what I have. good luck
          JOHN C VAN BUSKIRK
          http://www.geocities.com/vanbus1/
          jvanbus1@...

          His

            <jvanbus1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Welcome to the group. My mother was a Dayton, I have quite a
            bit of Dayton data. So far i don't find Araminda listed, but I would
            immagine she would be related. The Daytons were important pioneers
            in easter Long Island around East Hampton, especially. I look
            forward to helping you if I can. While my line left for New Jersey
            in the 1700s, I belioeve some Daytons are still there around the
            Hamptons. JOHN C VAN BUSKIRK
            > http://www.geocities.com/vanbus1/
            > jvanbus1@...

            3/12/2008 1:27 PM

            May your day be filled with happyness & joy