Re:new member

  • kolbemom
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
      Martha,

      Switzer/Swisher isn't familiar to me, but I see there are quite a few
      Switzers mentioned in the Nebraska compendium:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~neresour/OLLibrary/Comp_NE/names/namendxs.htm

      If you'd like, email me at kolbemom@..., and we can discuss
      local resources.

      Carol

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Martha Menzel
      <menzelgen@...> wrote:

      > Do you have any Switzer/Swisher's in Wayne County?
      >
      > Martha

    • dee.k124
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
        My name is Dina and I am a History (US and African American Studies)major at Kean University in New Jersey...

        I am completely fascinated by the colonial period of our history and decided to start researching the family histories of African American slaves that played a major role in US history...

        I am currently working on a slave that was owned by George Washington and during the process have become addicted to genealogy...

        Any pointers/help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks
      • annystokes
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
          Welcome Dina! I look forward to hearing about what you find in your research. Who knows ... maybe you'll write a book about it someday???

          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
            William was GW's valet and was by his throughout the entire Revolutionary War.  My objective is to trace
            this familyto the present, in the hopes there will be oral history that I can learn from regarding William.
            William has never been given any credit for being one of GW's most trusted men throughout this turning point
            of our nation's history and I hope that in some way I will be able to do that.....

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
              Hi Dina and welcome to the group.  I had to lol when I read "you have become addicted to genealogy".  It happens to all of us ;)
              One of my great finds is that Booker T. Washington and I share a grandmother.  What a handsome man he was and a great educator along with his 2nd wife.
              You've got a big job ahead of you.  I hope you have a lot of patience!
              Do you have a list of who you want to research?
              Please let us know how your research is coming and if you run into a brick wall, there are many people here that can help.
              Patty

              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
                Wow ... that's so cool. I hope you are able to bring his history to the forefront. Wouldn't you love to sit and listen to his accounts of it all??? Wish you had a diary from him. Oral history will be the next best thing. Let us know when you find out more!

                Ann

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 8, 2009
                  Currently I am looking for any papers that relate to the Custis family along
                  with the members of George Washington's family that inherited Mount
                  Vernon after Martha's death....

                  My project is focused on 2 slave brothers that were purchased by
                  GW in the late 1760s, William "Billy" and Frank Lee.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 29, 2009
                    pooh is a long time genealogy chatter and has done a lot
                    of research, with great difficulty at times
                    let's hope she will use this venue to seek help and help
                    others