Re: Breathrough!

  • Laura Haggarty
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 21 7:10 AM
      Congratulations! I had a similar (but not quite so huge) breakthrough about
      a month ago. My great-grandmother on my dad's side had listed on her death
      certificate that her father's name was William Sweetland, but her marriage
      certificate from the church in which she was married to my great-grandfather
      J.T. Wamelink, listed her name as McGinnis. I was able, with the help of the
      church in Pittsburgh and some hard work on my part digging through census
      records, to figure out that her father died before she was born, and that
      her mother remarried a year later, to a James McGinnis. I presume her
      stepfather adopted her. In the process I found a whole lot of data about JT
      that I hadn't known, as he was the organist in the church itself.

      The name thing had been a mystery that bugged my mother for years, as my
      father always insisted his grandmother was a Sweetland, and my mom said she
      was a McGinnis. Turns out they were both right! I only wish my mom had lived
      long enough to see the final answer (although I suppose she knows now
      anyway.)

      Best of luck in getting in touch with your new-found relatives, that's
      always so very cool.

      Laura Haggarty

      www.pathfindersfarm.com

      http://mizgreenjeans.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23 8:28 AM
        Thanks! It's moments like these that keep us digging, isn't it? Great when the hard work pays off. :-D

        ~april

        "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
          April, Congrats to You!! Hope your search is Grand!

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
            Thank you! Since I posted this message, this second cousin once removed and I have been regularly emailing back and forth! It's been great. :-D