problems with Family Tree Maker

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2007
      Has anyone else had problems with Family Tree Maker? I like it but my family tree just disappeared on me.

      Patricia

      Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them
    • Cindy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2007
        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Hefner
        <verte76@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone else had problems with Family Tree Maker? I like it but
        my family tree just disappeared on me.

        Patricia, what version of Family Tree Maker are you using? If you
        are using Family Tree Maker 2006 or version 16, look on your C: drive
        and see if you have a file that ends with .FBK or FTW. If you are
        running Family Tree Maker 2008, look for a file that ends in FTMB.
        These are the files that contain your data IF you have performed a
        backup after entering the data. If you can see them, then you can
        recover them into your program. If you can't see them, then you
        haven't backed anything up and will have to reenter everything.

        I mostly use Family Tree Maker 2006. It automatically backs up your
        file each time you close the program. I have not been able to figure
        out how to make Family Tree Maker 2008 do this automatically! That's
        the main reason I don't use it. Maybe someone else here can comment
        on what I'm not seeing. I hope you have backed up your file with
        either version! I have to use these directions each time with 2008
        to make sure I back things up.
        ------

        File > Backup

        Type a name for the backup file.

        Select where you want the backup file to be saved:
        -------

        If you use 2006 open the program, click on FILE and then Restore from
        Local Backup. A window opens and shows you your database files.
        Choose (click on) the most recent one ending in FBK and then click on
        Restore.

        I hope something here helps you.
      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2007
          I'm using the 2008 version.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2007
            <verte76@...> wrote:

            > I'm using the 2008 version.
            >
            > Patricia

            OK, then that means you have to physically back up your files each time
            you add information. There is no automatic saving of the file in this
            version. There is a discussion of this on the forum at Family Tree
            Maker's website.
          • Patricia Hefner
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 2007
              I started backing it up today. Oh, good grief, I wish I'd started sooner. I had my ancestors backed up to Charlemagne and now I have to start over!