Inquiry re Isaac HALL & Eliza FORTUNE

  • Joann H
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      My great-grandfather was James Arthur Hall, son of Isaac N. HALL and Elisabeth G. �Eliza� FORTUNE, born 08 Mar 1869 in Indiana. James married Reka Vivian HEYEN, DOB 19 Nov 1869, on 29 Aug 1889 in Indiana.

      I am trying to learn more about Isaac HALL (DOB about 1845 in Virginia) and Elisabeth FORTUNE (DOB about 1853 in Ohio), Isaac�s first wife. Elisabeth was apparently only 14 (or possibly even 13!) at the time of her marriage to Isaac HALL 25 Mar 1867 in Clark County, Illinois. As I mentioned earlier, their son, James was born 08 Mar 1869. I found the family in the 1870 Census. At that time, they were living at Prairieton, Vigo County, Indiana. I saw a note on RootsWeb that this couple had divorced in 1873.

      According to the 1880 Census, James was living with his father. I have not yet been able to locate any records for Elizabeth (�Eliza�) later than mention of the 1873 divorce. Of course, there is no 1890 census and by the time of the 1900 census James had married and had a family of his own.

      Naturally, I want to learn more about all the family, but I am especially interested in learning about Elisabeth.

      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Blessings,
      JoannH

    • VM
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
        Joann,

        I will do some checking but I think there is something off - too many states - age of bride, not sure what, but my gut doesn't like this (and I have learned to trust my gut in this area!)...I wonder if the case of different persons with the same names being 'grabbed up' ...How much of this have you actually verified? including notes on rootsweb - documentation?

        judy

      • kjh51jch50
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
          That depends on what you mean by "verified".

          I've found record of the marriage of Isaac Hall & Elizabeth Fortune
          on 25 Mar 1867 in Clark County, IL but I don't have a copy as yet. I
          have them listed together with their 1 year-old son, James, in the
          1870 census in Prairieton, Vigo County, IN (which would be correct
          since I know for a fact that's where the family was. I have Isaac
          with his son, James, in the 1880 census. I have Isaac with his
          father, Solomon, in the 1860 census. I have Elizabeth with her
          parents, Zachariah & Sarah, in the 1860 census in OH & in the 1850
          census in VA.

          I don't have copies of any birth records, I'm working from census
          reports at this time.

          Blessings,
          JoannH