Re: [genchatfriends] Re: Which Genealogy program?

  • Mike Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2007
      Although it doesn't have all the features requested by the original poster, I recommend RootsMagic (www.rootsmagic.com) for an easy to use interface, good website creation, and good reporting.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Joe Fusco
      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:04 PM
      Subject: [genchatfriends] Re: Which Genealogy program?

      This is interesting because I joined this group to ask this same
      question. When I first started, I used Ultimate Family Tree. I found
      it easy to navigate and use. One of my favorite features was the
      ability to export a web site to HTML files. Unfortunately, it went
      "the way of the dodo" very shortly after.

      When I picked up the bug again, I bought Family Tree Maker 10. FTM
      seemed very widely used and it has definitely continued to be
      developed. I have two problems with it - 1) The interface is not very
      intuitive (unless it's changed since v10) and 2) The web export will
      ONLY upload the files to genealogy.com and will not save them to your
      hard drive for upload to your own site.

      The reason I'm looking for a new program is that FTM v10 apparently
      has some compatibility issues with Vista and my data file has gone
      missing. I can reconstruct it without much difficulty but it seems to
      be a good time to examine alternatives.

      Are any of these easy to use and have an HTML export function?

      Thanks,
      Joe Fusco

      .

    • sherry NC boncek
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
        Hi Mike,
        Where are you from? My family name is Thompson.

        Thanks,
        Sherry

        >From: "Mike Thompson" <mthompson17@...>
        >To: <genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [genchatfriends] Re: Which Genealogy program?
        >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:19:31 -0400

        Learn.Laugh.Share. Reallivemoms is right place!
      • tro_glin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "sherry NC boncek"
          <gtldy53@...> wrote:
          >Hi Sherry, maybe you didn't see my response to Mike about
          Thompsons. My husband's gmother was Inez(Enez) Thompson, in
          Wisc. and somewhere in there a Rady is connected, don't know
          how yet. This would be in the mid 1800's there, and probably
          Brown county(Antigo).