Re: [genchatfriends] Goldmine!/April

  • Lilith
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
      That's wonderful, April!!!! How exciting to see those pictures AND to have
      someone in the family to maybe help!

      My ex-sister-in-law was going to throw out a rather good size box of
      pictures of MY family not long ago, because she wanted nothing to do with
      anything of my brother. I found out about it and was able to get the box.
      Unfortunately, there's no one left who can shed light on some of these
      pictures. My 2 older brothers could care less. Well, I care! In this box
      is a picture of my grandfather and grandmother on my father's side. I never
      knew them ... only heard their names a couple times.

      I'm so glad you were able to see those pictures and can scan them!

      Lilith
      VPMM

      On 6/2/07, April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

      > I contacted an aunt of mine, (one I don't know well) back in December
      > 2006. My uncle had suggested this sister was working on our family history
      > and that I should speak with her.
      >
      > We had a wonderful conversation, in which she informed me she hadn't
      > really done much with the search, but was glad to know I was working on it.
      > I sent her copies of the census records I'd found online and some family
      > pictures she didn't have already. (My dad was the oldest of nine.)
      >
      > Well, that same uncle has since passed away, which brought my aunt out
      > here from back East. We got together in the middle of this past week and lo
      > and behold, she brought a photo album my grand-uncle and his wife used to
      > have!
      >
      > There are tin-types of my great-grandfather, at last! I knew somebody in
      > the family surely had a portrait of him. He's a boy in this photo, and has
      > two younger sisters with him. There is also a photo of a grown man, and I
      > thought surely it must be GG Arther, but the caption says "believe this is
      > your grandfather" which would make it my second GG, Alfred! Goldmine! I've
      > struck gold!
      >
      > Woo hoo! I can't wait to further pour over the rest of the album! What a
      > treasure.
      >
      > Now, I plan on scanning these photos into my computer before I send these
      > things back to my aunt. Anything I should know to safeguard the originals?
      >
      > Thanks for letting me share.

    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
        Oh, I'm so glad you were able to rescue the box of photos! And yes, it's very nice to have help. She thanked me for all the work I've done, thus far. Apparently, there may be two more in our family working on this. My other aunt (I have three on Dad's side) and her daughter alledgedly are doing their own search. We're hoping to coordinate with these other two and divide the work.

        I'm continuing on with our surname and my one aunt will work on their mother's maiden name and that branch of the family.

        Gook luck with your own family history. :-)

        april