[genchatfriends] Re: New Member

  • dlleavitt2000
    Message 1 of 16 , May 17, 2007
      Dear Anita,

      Sorry I have taken a while to respond. I must have missed your reply
      in the digest earlier, so I went to the archives to see if you had
      responded. And sure enough, you had!

      Thank you so much for you willingness to help. I do have one lead I
      found the other day. I found a family on a census record with a
      possible match for WT's family. I don't have the copy right here, but
      it had a Jethro A. Thurlkill as the head of the family. I am going to
      try to dig more into that lead for now. We'll see if this is the one!

      Thanks again,
      Donna

      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Nita bobo <anitasgen@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Donna,
      >
      > I would be glad to go hunting for you. Madison County has its
      county records archived at the Heritage Room on the third floor of the
      Library. The whole floor is the Heritage Room really. I don't know if
      your Thurlkill is listed there, but there is a publication here called
      Old Huntsville Times and they have a website called oldhuntsville.com
      with alot of early county records on it including marriage records on
      it from 1808. It is just a cross section of info. I am going to go the
      library myself to do some checking on one of my ancestors who I think
      lived here in the early 1800s as this is where this grandfather and
      grandmother of mine got married before settling in Tuscaloosa County.
      I will go to the web site for the Old Huntsville monthly magazine and
      check to see what that they have if anything in regards to that name.
      I found out this weekend that a brother of one my grandmothers set up
      the first water powered mills here in the early 1800s from the website
      and I wasn't
      > even looking for him.
      >
      > Madison County and Huntsville had the distinction of being the St.
      Louis of Indian Territory in the southeast before the removal. Legally
      before 1818/19 there were not supposed to be any white settlers here.
      Anyhow, most everyone who settled in Mississippi and Alabama before
      1850 pretty much passed thru Huntsville, down the Tennesse River and
      then south to Birmingham. I guess I am telling all this becuz I was
      born and raised in Alabama and I didnot know this until I moved here
      and started doing my genealogy.

      > Maybe my experience is different I always loved history, but I
      did not realize there were two histories in America. The one you learn
      in school, and then the one you learn about when you do your family
      tree. I didn't know about the private civil war that went on in my
      home area, or that there were southern men from my area who made up a
      calvary unit in the Union Army. I had two 5x great uncles who were
      hung by the home guard for not being in the Confederate Army. I will
      try to get to the library in the next couple of weeks, I have some
      books to donate and they have the best used bookstore there...I go
      pretty regular is what I am trying to say. The only bad thing is they
      don't have alot about my home counties!!!

      > Anita
      >
      > dlleavitt2000 <dlleavitt@...> wrote:
      > Welcome to the group, Nita. My name is Donna Leavitt and I
      am fairly
      > quiet in the group, but I just HAD to reply to your message, since
      > you live in Madison County, Alabama! I was so excited to find
      > someone familiar with the area, because I have hit a brick wall, and
      > wondered if you could help.
      >
      > My gg grandfather was born at Owens Cross Roads, Madison County,
      > Alabama in Jan 1848. I have a lot of information about him, but
      > nothing about his parents and siblings. His name is William Thomas
      > THURLKILL. However, there are a lot of ways to spell that surname!
      > That really broadens the search.
      >
      > Let me tell you what I know about WT. He moved to Union County,
      > Arkansas before 20 Nov 1870, when he married Mary Frances MCGEE.
      > They had 6 children before his wife passed away. Then, he married
      > Mary Menerva HILL and had 5 more children. He died in Union County
      > on 21 Jan 1913 and is buried at Old Parkers Chapel Methodist Church
      > Cemetery in El Dorado, Union County, Arkansas.
      >
      > Any leads you might be able to find on his birht family would be
      > absolutely wonderful!!
      >
      > If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I live in
      > Houston, TX, in case you have any family way down here I can help you
      > with.
      >
      > Thanks for everything,
      > Donna Leavitt

    • dlleavitt2000
      Message 2 of 16 , May 17, 2007
        Whoops! I just found the copy! It was Jasper O., not Jethro! Sorry!
      • nisa
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26 10:59 AM
          Hello. I'm Nisa from Ohio. I am researching the Hinkle/Schreffler
          families from Northumberland County PA, Hurt/Hancock/Lanier/Sims/Carter
          families from Pittsylvania, Louisa, and Abermarle Counties in VA, and
          finally, Bird/Edwards/Plumbley, Johnson families from Putnam County, WV.

          Nisa
        • mckennamets
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 27, 2008
            This genealogy stuff is great, new to it all and it is taking up way
            too much of my time, if I ever have the money to subscribe to
            ancestry.com I will be in big trouble, in the mean time, I have found a
            bunch for free. I started with my 8 great grandparents,
            mckenna,mara,bradley,hogan,fears,fultz,cauble and payton. anyone have
            any sites specific to these names, please share them with me, also any
            general free sites that might be of help.

            thanks,
            John
          • marykay.lady
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 27, 2008
              I know what you mean--sometimes I'm researching on the computer for
              four hours or more a night!! I use www.familysearch.org a TON--it's
              not always 100% accurate, but it generates a TON of leads!!!

              --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "mckennamets"
              <mckennamets@...> wrote:

              > This genealogy stuff is great, new to it all and it is taking up way
              > too much of my time, if I ever have the money to subscribe to
              > ancestry.com I will be in big trouble, in the mean time, I have found a
              > bunch for free. I started with my 8 great grandparents,
              > mckenna,mara,bradley,hogan,fears,fultz,cauble and payton. anyone have
              > any sites specific to these names, please share them with me, also any
              > general free sites that might be of help.
              >
              > thanks,
              > John

            • brilliantlysaid
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
                I am new my name to the group my name is wendetta and I have dabbed a little before into reaserching and hit a brick wall so I just started up doing researching again. I am cherokee and possibly creek my great grandparent from both sides are from south carolina and mississippi. I am also trying to research my husband side he is blackfoot and maybe cherokee. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me thanks.
              • sassiesmom
                Message 7 of 16 , May 6, 2010
                  Good Evening Everyone, I recently joined this group in hopes of finding some guidance in my genealogy search. I've begun researching information on my maternal great grandmother and her history. I'm wondering though how others sort and organize the info they find out. Do you use a particular computer program? Is there a good free software program available?
                  Thanks again and I look forward to this group!
                  Cathy
                  BC
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 7, 2010
                    Welcome aboard, Cathy!  I know there are some free programs out there, but I'll have to leave others to tell you what they are.  Personally, I use Family Tree Maker version 16 at this time.  Hubby got me started with version 5, if memory serves, several Christmases ago.

                    As for how I sort my hardcopies, etc.  I use notebook binders and those nice pocket page dividers for the loose stuff.  Each person in the family gets their own section.  Each family branch gets its own Binder.  Still working on that.

                    Oh, and I have to get busy and finish putting the old pictures into the acid-free photo/scrapbook.  So much work, so little time ...

                    ~april

                    "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"