Family Tree Maker

  • ilmar146
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2007
      Ami.
      I have 3 versions of Family Tree Maker, the oldest being number 5 . Is
      it possible that it would work with the older Parons versions. If so
      let me know privately and I will see what I can do to help you out.I
      know I never had to do anything but update with newer versions all the
      other disks I purchased early on and later still work.
      I Manion
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 13, 2010
        Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without a
        spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)? Dad
        met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is by
        this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
        children.

        I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
        entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
        wife who came afterwards.

        I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
        mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
        married.

        Thanks for your help.

      • Liz Tapley-Matthews
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 14, 2010
          I have FTM 16 and if you add the person as a spouse then click on the
          edit button (the little pencil) after the marriage date line, there is a
          drop-down box where you can choose "Married," "Partners,", etc.

          Liz

          On 7/13/2010 3:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:

          > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father
          > without a
          > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with
          > Mom)? Dad
          > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child
          > is by
          > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
          > children.
          >
          > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
          > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
          > wife who came afterwards.
          >
          > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
          > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
          > married.
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Anny

        • Joseph
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
            Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given
            name, then I can enter children.

            On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
            > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without a
            > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)? Dad
            > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is by
            > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
            > children.
            >

            > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
            > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
            > wife who came afterwards.
            >

            > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
            > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
            > married.
            >

            > Thanks for your help.
            >

            > Anny

          • brian
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
              Pretty easy: if you look at the boxes above where the kids would be listed you would see a icon with a number after it. Click the number and select new spouse. Once name is entered that number will change (2 in this case ). You can use that same button to switch easily between spouses.

              Brian

              Sent from my MOTOBLUR™ smartphone on AT&T

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
                What if you do know who the parent is?

                Anny

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 18, 2010
                  Thanks, Brian. My question is how to enter the name if they were unmarried, i.e. technically not a spouse?

                  Anny

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                    If the parents were unmarried, I think this is what you mean, in Legacy, there's
                    a place on the marriage page where one can mark the couple as "Never Married" in
                    stead of the norm.

                    On 7/18/2010 11:50 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                    > What if you do know who the parent is?
                    >

                    > Anny

                  • Ellen Dauzat
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                      I want to know who is parents are. they are in my lineage.

                      ________________________________
                      Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                      name, then I can enter children.

                      On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                      > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                      > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                      Dad
                      > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                      by
                      > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                      > children.
                      >

                      > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                      > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                      > wife who came afterwards.
                      >

                      > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                      > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                      > married.
                      >

                      > Thanks for your help.
                      >

                      > Anny

                    • Ellen Dauzat
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                        You must have been replying to someone else and not my querry.

                        ________________________________
                        Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                        name, then I can enter children.

                        On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                        > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                        > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                        Dad
                        > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                        by
                        > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                        > children.
                        >

                        > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                        > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                        > wife who came afterwards.
                        >

                        > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                        > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                        > married.
                        >

                        > Thanks for your help.
                        >

                        > Anny

                      • brian
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                          On that persons "person " tab click relationships ,select "spouse " and on right select relationship from drop menu

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                            In FTM you can adjust the relationship of any person in your tree.  My
                            great-grandfather married a woman who had a child already, same with my maternal
                            grandfather.  I was able to list both of these children as children of their
                            mother, I believe it was.  Been awhile since I looked at my files.  I know you
                            can list adopted children.

                            ~april

                            "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                            ________________________________
                            Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                            name, then I can enter children.

                            On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                            > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                            > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                            Dad
                            > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                            by
                            > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                            > children.
                            >

                            > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                            > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                            > wife who came afterwards.
                            >

                            > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                            > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                            > married.
                            >

                            > Thanks for your help.
                            >

                            > Anny

                          • Janie
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                              I have the same problem and I have FTM2010. Any help?

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                Anny, I just downloaded the latest version of the Family Tree Maker
                                (v4.0.0.916). In the marriage section, there is a "Status" menu in the bottom
                                right hand corner. This menu give many options for the relationship. They are:
                                Married,
                                Divorced,
                                Separated,
                                Widowed,
                                Engaged,
                                Partners,
                                Friends,
                                Annulled,
                                Unknown, and
                                Other

                                This pretty well give any possibility of relationship.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Joseph

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                  I'm looking for an 1820 or 1830 census. I'm looking for two brothers, and their
                                  father.

                                  Brother #1 is Jacob Burkett who was born in 1819. He married a Susan
                                  Hershberger (Harshberger, Hershbarger, Harshbarger)

                                  Brother #2 is Martin Burkett who was born probably between 1815 and 1825. He
                                  was married to Sarah Jane Davis and Ellen Cosey (at different times, of course).

                                  I'm needing these brothers' parents and other siblings if possible. There could
                                  be a spelling difference to the name Burkett. I've found references to Burket
                                  also, and there could be other possibilities.

                                  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

                                  Joseph
                                • LARRY JOHNSON
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                    I found three in Maryland and one in Ohio

                                     Larry Johnson

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                      http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Martin+Burkett&rg_81004010__date=1815&_80018000=Sarah+Jane+Davis&cpxt=0&uidh=ve4&rs_81004010__date=10&cp=0&pcat=CEN_CENTURY1800&h=50180396&recoff=1+91+92&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1

                                       Larry Johnson

                                      --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Joseph <ragweed@...> wrote:This is for Martin Burket

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                        Ellen – the dad’s a Yarbrough from TX. His girlfriend’s married name was Alman – Liverpool area of UK. I need to find out what her maiden name was.

                                        Are those surnames in your tree?

                                        Anny

                                        I want to know who is parents are. they are in my lineage.

                                        ________________________________
                                        Anny, I use Legacy, and I put a spouse in by entering "Unknown" in the given

                                        name, then I can enter children.

                                        On 7/13/2010 2:42 PM, Ann Y Stokes wrote:
                                        > Does anyone know how on the current FTM to add a child to a father without
                                        > spouse (but I do have the mother's name as the child grew up with Mom)?
                                        Dad
                                        > met a woman while stationed in England during WWII. Dad's first child is
                                        by
                                        > this woman. He went home to TX and married a different woman and had other
                                        > children.
                                        >

                                        > I've noted the parentage of the first child in the notes section of his
                                        > entry, but can't get the tree not to register him as child of the father's
                                        > wife who came afterwards.
                                        >

                                        > I've added the first son, but can't get it to know link him with the wrong
                                        > mother. I can't add the actually mother as a spouse since they weren't
                                        > married.
                                        >

                                        > Thanks for your help.
                                        >

                                        > Anny

                                      • Regina
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                          Joseph

                                          The 1820 and 1830 census records do not show an entire family by names as in the 1850 and later census records, only the heads of household are named. Jacob and Martin would only show as males between certain ages in their fathers household if born in 1819 and 1825. Women in a male head of household are listed in age groups as well.

                                          Regina

                                        • Joseph
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                            Larry, this is Martin, his wife, and his children. I have these. Martin and
                                            Sarah Jane were my great-great-grandparents. However, I'm needing to find
                                            Martin's father. This is why I was needing to find a census from 1820 or
                                            1830.... This way Martin and Jacob would be the children in the family, not the
                                            parents.

                                            On 7/19/2010 1:33 PM, LARRY JOHNSON wrote:
                                            > http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Martin+Burkett&rg_81004010__date=1815&_80018000=Sarah+Jane+Davis&cpxt=0&uidh=ve4&rs_81004010__date=10&cp=0&pcat=CEN_CENTURY1800&h=50180396&recoff=1+91+92&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1
                                            >
                                            > Larry Johnson
                                            >
                                            > --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Joseph<ragweed@...> wrote:This is for Martin Burket
                                            >

                                            > From: Joseph<ragweed@...>
                                            > Subject: [genchatfriends] Finding a Census
                                            > To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                                            > Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 12:25 PM
                                            >

                                            > I'm looking for an 1820 or 1830 census. I'm looking for two brothers, and their
                                            > father.
                                            >
                                            > Brother #1 is Jacob Burkett who was born in 1819. He married a Susan
                                            > Hershberger (Harshberger, Hershbarger, Harshbarger)
                                            >
                                            > Brother #2 is Martin Burkett who was born probably between 1815 and 1825. He
                                            > was married to Sarah Jane Davis and Ellen Cosey (at different times, of course).
                                            >
                                            > I'm needing these brothers' parents and other siblings if possible. There could
                                            > be a spelling difference to the name Burkett. I've found references to Burket
                                            > also, and there could be other possibilities.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks in advance for the assistance.
                                            >
                                            > Joseph
                                          • LARRY JOHNSON
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                              http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1830usfedcenancestry&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=Martin&gsln=Burket&msrpn=41&msrpn_PInfo=5-%7c1652393%7c2%7c3244%7c41%7c&msrpn__ftp=Pennsylvania%2c+USA&dbOnly=_F000530B%7c_F000530B_x%2c_F000531E%7c_F000531E_x%2c_F000531F%7c_F000531F_x%2c_F0005320%7c_F0005320_x&uidh=ve4&pcat=35&fh=1&h=2086156&recoff=14

                                              I found this and will keep searching.

                                               Larry Johnson

                                              Larry, this is Martin, his wife, and his children.  I have these.  Martin and
                                              Sarah Jane were my great-great-grandparents.  However, I'm needing to find
                                              Martin's father.  This is why I was needing to find a census from 1820 or
                                              1830....  This way Martin and Jacob would be the children in the family, not the
                                              parents.

                                              On 7/19/2010 1:33 PM, LARRY JOHNSON wrote:
                                              > http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=Martin+Burkett&rg_81004010__date=1815&_80018000=Sarah+Jane+Davis&cpxt=0&uidh=ve4&rs_81004010__date=10&cp=0&pcat=CEN_CENTURY1800&h=50180396&recoff=1+91+92&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1
                                              >
                                              >   Larry Johnson
                                              >
                                              > --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Joseph<ragweed@...>  wrote:This is for Martin Burket
                                              >

                                              > From: Joseph<ragweed@...>
                                              > Subject: [genchatfriends] Finding a Census
                                              > To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                                              > Date: Monday, July 19, 2010, 12:25 PM
                                              >

                                              > I'm looking for an 1820 or 1830 census.  I'm looking for two brothers, and their
                                              > father.
                                              >
                                              > Brother #1 is Jacob Burkett who was born in 1819.  He married a Susan
                                              > Hershberger (Harshberger, Hershbarger, Harshbarger)
                                              >
                                              > Brother #2 is Martin Burkett who was born probably between 1815 and 1825.  He
                                              > was married to Sarah Jane Davis and Ellen Cosey (at different times, of course).
                                              >
                                              > I'm needing these brothers' parents and other siblings if possible.  There could
                                              > be a spelling difference to the name Burkett.  I've found references to Burket
                                              > also, and there could be other possibilities.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks in advance for the assistance.
                                              >
                                              > Joseph

                                            • Joseph
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                                How can one break through a wall like this? I suspect that their parents came
                                                from Germany (Bavaria maybe).

                                                On 7/19/2010 3:35 PM, Regina wrote:
                                                > Joseph
                                                >
                                                > The 1820 and 1830 census records do not show an entire family by names as in the 1850 and later census records, only the heads of household are named. Jacob and Martin would only show as males between certain ages in their fathers household if born in 1819 and 1825. Women in a male head of household are listed in age groups as well.
                                                >
                                                > Regina
                                              • Regina
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                                  Joseph,
                                                  My first question would be what makes you suspect that the parents were from Germany, Bavaria, etc.
                                                  The second question would be do you have the parents in all the census records from death to the earliest you could locate, which I would assume since you are looking for 1820-1830 that these would have been the earliest?
                                                  Before looking into other countries you should exhaust your search in the states for records such as birth registers, death certificates or registers, church records, etc. All these could provide clues to help you pin point the parent's birth locations. From there using clues found in these records you would then have to shift your search out of the states and into the other countries which would require some work. I know from doing some very limited research the LDS libraries will order microfilm however you need to have an idea of the location as everything is in parish's.

                                                  Regina

                                                • cathyuthus@comcast.net
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 19, 2010
                                                    the 1820 would only list the head of household at that time frame, not the children as they would be broken out by  gender and the ages of under 5, 5 -10 etc

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                                                      I could have rephrased that... I wasn't trying to say that their parents DID
                                                      come from Germany or Bavaria. My key word is "suspect"... being a
                                                      possibility... and I say that because hearing the way our older family members,
                                                      now dead, had spoken of their heritage, a Germanic heritage could be suspect.
                                                      We must consider the geographical history and demographics sometimes. I mean,
                                                      didn't immigrants tend to huddle together in communities?

                                                      The Church heritage of that side of the family was Dunker, which is very closely
                                                      related to the Amish, all being Anabaptist, except the Dunkers were allowed to
                                                      have cars and trucks, but all shiny chrome was to be painted black. The Amish
                                                      and early Dunkers originated from the same kind of background...

                                                      This along with the thought that those in my family history, who came out of the
                                                      1700's, and from the same general geographical areas, within abt 40 miles of
                                                      Hagerstown, MD., were Germanic. Hagerstown was a German speaking town in the
                                                      1700's and early 1800's. I know of pockets of people right now where there are
                                                      still such a large percentage of German and Polish people, that many of them
                                                      still speak German and Polish in their homes and communities. They hadn't been
                                                      infiltrated very much yet from other backgrounds.

                                                      In the mid 1800's these pockets of somewhat pure groups began being infiltrated
                                                      and blended with peoples of the surrounding areas. Thus the purity was
                                                      intermingled.

                                                      Considering this, I'd felt that since I was blocked from the parents of Martin
                                                      and Jacob, that _maybe_ they were not born here in the U.S. soil. But again, I
                                                      wasn't saying that's an absolute... but just a possibility because of the 200
                                                      year old demographics.

                                                      You asked, "The second question would be do you have the parents in all the
                                                      census records from death to the earliest you could locate, which I would assume
                                                      since you are looking for 1820-1830 that these would have been the earliest?"

                                                      Jacob and Martin were the earliest I have both according to census and family
                                                      history. I suspect that their parents were born in the last 15-20 years of the
                                                      1700's...

                                                      I'd found Jacob in Hagerstown, MD. in 1870, and Martin in 1870 and 1880 in
                                                      Antrim Township, Greencastle, PA (not far from Hagerstown, MD). I've found his
                                                      name as Burket, Burkett, and Burget in various places.

                                                      My 1920 and 1930 census request was because Jacob and Martin would have still
                                                      been at home, being 16 and under... that would put them in their parent's
                                                      home, and listed with their census.

                                                      Anyway... I trust that this answers your questions sufficiently.

                                                      On 7/19/2010 6:06 PM, Regina wrote:
                                                      > Joseph,
                                                      > My first question would be what makes you suspect that the parents were from Germany, Bavaria, etc.
                                                      > The second question would be do you have the parents in all the census records from death to the earliest you could locate, which I would assume since you are looking for 1820-1830 that these would have been the earliest?
                                                      > Before looking into other countries you should exhaust your search in the states for records such as birth registers, death certificates or registers, church records, etc. All these could provide clues to help you pin point the parent's birth locations. From there using clues found in these records you would then have to shift your search out of the states and into the other countries which would require some work. I know from doing some very limited research the LDS libraries will order microfilm however you need to have an idea of the location as everything is in parish's.
                                                      >
                                                      > Regina
                                                      >
                                                      > On 7/19/2010 Joseph wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > How can one break through a wall like this? I suspect that their parents came
                                                      > from Germany (Bavaria maybe).
                                                      >
                                                      > On 7/19/2010 3:35 PM, Regina wrote:
                                                      >> Joseph
                                                      >>
                                                      >> The 1820 and 1830 census records do not show an entire family by names as in the 1850 and later census records, only the heads of household are named. Jacob and Martin would only show as males between certain ages in their fathers household if born in 1819 and 1825. Women in a male head of household are listed in age groups as well.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Regina
                                                    • Janie
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                                                        When this happens what is the next best way to go to locate someone?

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 23, 2010
                                                          Joseph,
                                                          I was able to follow the census for Jacob, and noted that in all he lists his birth place as Maryland. My first step would be to locate documents to verify his birth location, his marriage record, look for church records, wills, land records, etc.
                                                          The other thing I noted was that the location was actually District 13, with a Post Office listed as Hagerstown, which means that he may not have actually lived in Hagerstown, but maybe a community that shared the Hagerstown Post Office, so I would see if I could locate communities nearby that may have shared it.
                                                          You will have to exhaust your search for documents on Jacob and Martin in hopes of finding clues on the parents. Check the LDS family search library catalog for microfilm you can order to review records if you are not able to visit. You will not be able to do this all from the computer.
                                                          One site I found with listing of Maryland Records is
                                                          http://www.marylandgenealogy.com/genealogy-sources.html
                                                          it may give you somewhere to start.

                                                          Regina