newbies

  • tro_glin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 16, 2007
      hey,hey,hey, the marker says 5 new members in last 7
      days, but I don't know when yahoo considers, 7 days
      at any rate, WELCOME,
      and it does help if the rest of us know who you are
      looking for, someone reading might have that family,
      never know
      and welcome again
    • tro_glin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 10, 2007
        welcome all the most recent joinees, and to get the most out
        of this group, it is a good idea to post your surnames, and
        maybe ask questions.
        if any of you have followed the past month or so, one little
        question can bring in a whole bunch of replies, it will
        surprise you and in that way, you get from this group what
        you hoped for
        you have joined, but now, 'join' and participate in the
        input and output that our members can give you
      • Bev Kerlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 10, 2007
          tro_glin wrote:

          > welcome all the most recent joinees, and to get the most out
          > of this group, it is a good idea to post your surnames, and
          > maybe ask questions.
          > if any of you have followed the past month or so, one little
          > question can bring in a whole bunch of replies, it will
          > surprise you and in that way, you get from this group what
          > you hoped for
          > you have joined, but now, 'join' and participate in the
          > input and output that our members can give you

          Hi All

          In light of Trog's email, I would like to repeat my names of interest.
          I will do this in two mails because I am doing general research on the
          13 Mennonite families from Germany - particular name of interest is
          KÜRLIS followed by variants in later years - and then David's and my
          families. I truly believe that many folk in the States could trace
          their origins back to these people, together with their UK ancestors.

          Arrived America from Krefeld Westphalia Germany 6 October 1683 aboard
          the "Concord":
          ARETS aka VAN AAKEN, 3 OP DEN GRAEFF, (nee JANSEN, nee VAN BEBBER, nee
          PETERS,)
          STREPERS, nee TUFFERS, COENEN-HEGGERS, nee MATTEIS-DOORS, THEISSEN-DOORS,
          SIMONS, nee WILHELMS-LUCKEN, LENSSEN nee PIETERS-SCHMITZ),
          KÜRLIS, (nee DOORS), BLEICKERS, LUCKEN, (nee GASTES), KLINKEN, (nee LUCKEN)
          Wilhelm STREPERS/STREYPERS had brother Johann with wife Anna DOORS
          COENEN-HEGGERS aka KUNDERS/CONRADTS/HEKKERS
          Reiner THEISSEN-DOORS became TYSON; he was brother to Tones KUNDERS and
          the wife of Peter KÜRLIS (Elisabeth DOORS)
          Paul KÜSTER's wife who went to PA in 1691
          Johann SIMONS' wife Merken LUCKEN was sister of Johann LUCKEN and
          Abraham KLINKEN's wife was another sister, Beatrix LUCKEN.

          I have done some research on these families and will happily pass it on.

          Bev

        • Bev Kerlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2007
            Hi again Everyone!

            I admit to complaining bitterly about lack of detail in enquiries put
            forward and asking us for help! There is not enough space for me to fill
            you in on the details I have, sorry. All of these families came to
            Australia from 1859 onwards. The HARRISONs arrived in Melbourne and
            stayed there until 1862 when they came to Queensland.

            All others apart from my Father's family of COURTNEY arrived in Moreton
            Bay Queensland prior to 1885 and were classed as Pioneers. Dad's family
            came out in 1919 and Dad in 1926 also to Moreton Bay.

            KERLIN/BELL, HARRISON/WILLIS Ireland – CANTLE/BARNETT Gloucestershire
            Eng – YOUNGS/BARKER Norfolk Eng – COURTNEY/DALTON Surrey and Yorkshire
            Eng – GIESEMANN/TIMM Schleswig-Holstein Germany – HANSEN/HENDRIKSEN Denmark.

            The Irish families stayed mainly around the Beaudesert areas south of
            Brisbane. The Germans landed in the same area, stayed a short while, and
            then went to the Lockyer Valley area west of Brisbane. David's
            Grandfather HANSEN may have landed in Sydney because I have found a
            brother there, but it is generally believed he went straight to the
            Lockyer Valley.

            The Gloucestershire/Wales CANTLEs settled Wynnum, east of Brisbane; the
            Norfolk YOUNGS opened up the western suburbs of Sherwood and Toowong in
            Brisbane, and the COURTNEYs from Buckinghamshire/Surrey went to
            Clayfield in Brisbane.

            I have researched many families, particularly Germans, in the Lockyer
            Valley. I may have some clues here for other names, but information
            would have to be verified. Feel free to ask!

            Cheers
            Bev