Stoudenmire Family Search

  • megradnmay
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hello!

      My name is Mary L Stoudenire and as promised I have graduated and
      can now seek the help of the group with my own family history
      search! Most of the information I have been able to gather has been
      from death certificates and marriage licenses as all of my father's
      side of the family is dead except for my siblings (1 on whom I just
      buried) and couple of first cousins.

      This is what I have so far:

      My paternal grandfathers name was David L Stoudenmire. According to
      his death certificate he was born in Alabama around 1880 and would
      have been known as a mulatto. From the only picture I have of him
      he does not look African-American at all. His death certificate
      only lists his father's name as Mar. Stoudenmire.

      My paternal grandmother is an even bigger mystery. Her name was
      Harriett King Hale Childers. She was born around 1880 also in
      Alabama.

      Her father's name was Geo. Hale; her mother's name was Zilla King.
      I also found reference to her as Zilla Childers and Zilla
      Childress. It has been said that Harriett was a descendent of
      Ethopian royalty thru her mother. It has also been the story that
      her mother did not come to this country as a slave but as an
      indentured servant. Her (Zilla's)father fled the Amhara region of
      Ethopia during an uprising.

      Any suggestions as to where to continue to look for information,
      short of going on a expedition thru Alabama, Mississippi and
      Louisiana, would be helpful.

      Thanks!

      Mary S. aka megradnmay