Re: Research

  • brbrooks99
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2005
      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "wfnov52" <wfnov52@y...>
      wrote: > Hello All,
      > Just would like to let you all know that I do genealogical research
      > in the Culpeper, Rappahannock, Madison, Orange and Fauquier Counties
      > of Virginia. If anyone is in need of something, please contact me
      > through this forum. Please one request at a time. Some of the
      > surnames I've worked on over the last 30+ years are: Bailey, Baker,
      > Baldwin, Beahm, Bolen, Brady, Brandon, Compton, Clark, Cliser,
      > Coppage, Dodson, Deavers, Dwyer, Frazier, Ford, Fincham, Gaunt, Gore,
      > Hill, Houghton, Huff, Jenkins, Kendall, Lillard, Martin, Molden,
      > Pullen, Racer, Shackleford, Smoot, Vaughan, and Waters.
      > Wayne Baldwin

      Hi Wayne,
      I am assuming that you physically search in these counties.

      I have looked for many years for some/any information on a Thomas
      Brooks, died prior to May 1813, married Jane Hord, daughter of James
      Hord and Mary Susan Miller of Culpeper County. last clue was a
      possibility that he lived in Faquier County at the time of his death,
      probably on land that part of the estate of Simon Miller.
      I have made 13 trips back there to search courthouse records and still
      haven't found anything, but I keep hoping there will be some obscure
      record that I missed.

      I also do not have any idea as to the death date of Jane Hord Brooks.
      There is a long and
      drawn out law suit involving these families and William Richards of
      Richardsville, Culpeper County as the executor and son in law of Simon
      Miller.

      If you run across a stray Thomas Brooks, that doesn't fit any where
      else, it is probably mine.

      There are Benson and Bullard connections also, via Thomas [2] son of
      Thomas and Jane Brooks.

      Thanks for offering your help

      Betty Brooks
    • nov2252wfb
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2005
        Hi Betty
        I've done some on-line searching for you, but hot much to send.
        There was a Thomas Brooks who married an Elizabeth Jacobs in
        Fauquier Co., Virgina on 16 Dec. 1823.

        1850 Census of Barren County, KY (done on Aug. 23)
        Catherine Hord, age 60 born in Virginia head of family
        John H. Hord, age 33, Trader, born in Virginia
        James R. Hord, age 24, Farmer, born in Virginia
        Jane M. Hord, age 17 born in Virginia.

        Do you have a copy of the law suit in Culpeper Co., VA you
        mentioned. I would be willing to copy it for you and check
        any deeds there too if you'd like. Of course, after the
        first of the year.
        Wayne Baldwin

        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, brbrooks99
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "wfnov52"
        <wfnov52@y...>
        > wrote: > Hello All,
        > > Just would like to let you all know that I do genealogical
        research
        > > in the Culpeper, Rappahannock, Madison, Orange and Fauquier
        Counties
        > > of Virginia. If anyone is in need of something, please contact
        me
        > > through this forum. Please one request at a time. Some of the
        > > surnames I've worked on over the last 30+ years are: Bailey,
        Baker,
        > > Baldwin, Beahm, Bolen, Brady, Brandon, Compton, Clark, Cliser,
        > > Coppage, Dodson, Deavers, Dwyer, Frazier, Ford, Fincham, Gaunt,
        Gore,
        > > Hill, Houghton, Huff, Jenkins, Kendall, Lillard, Martin, Molden,
        > > Pullen, Racer, Shackleford, Smoot, Vaughan, and Waters.
        > > Wayne Baldwin
        > >

        > Hi Wayne,
        > I am assuming that you physically search in these counties.
        >
        > I have looked for many years for some/any information on a Thomas
        > Brooks, died prior to May 1813, married Jane Hord, daughter of
        James
        > Hord and Mary Susan Miller of Culpeper County. last clue was a
        > possibility that he lived in Faquier County at the time of his
        death,
        > probably on land that part of the estate of Simon Miller.
        > I have made 13 trips back there to search courthouse records and
        still
        > haven't found anything, but I keep hoping there will be some
        obscure
        > record that I missed.
        >
        > I also do not have any idea as to the death date of Jane Hord
        Brooks.
        > There is a long and
        > drawn out law suit involving these families and William Richards
        of
        > Richardsville, Culpeper County as the executor and son in law of
        Simon
        > Miller.
        >
        > If you run across a stray Thomas Brooks, that doesn't fit any
        where
        > else, it is probably mine.
        >
        > There are Benson and Bullard connections also, via Thomas [2] son
        of
        > Thomas and Jane Brooks.
        >
        > Thanks for offering your help
        >
        > Betty Brooks

      • brbrooks99
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "nov2252wfb"
          <nov2252wfb@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Betty
          > I've done some on-line searching for you, but hot much to send.
          > There was a Thomas Brooks who married an Elizabeth Jacobs in
          > Fauquier Co., Virgina on 16 Dec. 1823.

          > 1850 Census of Barren County, KY (done on Aug. 23)
          > Catherine Hord, age 60 born in Virginia head of family
          > John H. Hord, age 33, Trader, born in Virginia
          > James R. Hord, age 24, Farmer, born in Virginia
          > Jane M. Hord, age 17 born in Virginia.
          >
          > Do you have a copy of the law suit in Culpeper Co., VA you
          mentioned. I would be willing to copy it for you and check
          > any deeds there too if you'd like. Of course, after the
          > first of the year.
          > Wayne Baldwin

          Hi Wayne,

          Missed your message, and I only read onsite,I appreciate the efforts.
          The lawsuit, which is first titled Hord vs Richards is filed in the
          Fredericksburg CH, Court of Hustings, I believe.
          The Historical Court Records site has references to various portions
          of it http://www.historiccourtrecords.org/
          At any rate, I have a fair portion of the papers,but it is nice to
          know someone is in the area and helpful.

          Thomas Brooks b. 1781 Culpeper Co., VA married Elizabeth Bullard Dec
          31 1823 Sppotsylvania, Co., VA and was back in MO before Oct 1824
          Son of Thomas Brooks who died prior to May 1813, and Jane
          Hord,daughter of James Hord and Mary Miller of Culpeper Co.
          This would be easier,
          Old Website with Brooks history

          http://www.geocities.com/chbrooks_99/thomas1.html

          and Lawsuit
          http://www.geocities.com/chbrooks_99/lawsuithord.html

          From the abstracted law suit/court records, this is the last thing I
          have found on Thomas SR., which I believe to be our Thomas Brooks.
          Record title Brooke & Hord's exors vs Richards exr.
          Year recorded 1813
          Tenant tenants on land bought by Simon Miller from Thomas Strother -
          Mr. Brown; Mr. Watson; Mr. Colbirds; Mr. Thomas Brooks

          Tract Mr. Miller moved from Culpeper Co. to Stawthars in Stafford
          Co. about 1796

          THANKS

          Betty