Re: [genchatfriends] new member

  • Linda Warrick
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 28, 2005
      thanks, John, will do. Linda

      Aftiel <aftiel_2ooo@...> wrote:You might want to try http://www.familysearch.org/

      -John

      --- starfish2251 <starfish2251@...> wrote:

      > Hi there, looking forward to learning all about
      > genealogy research.
      > Every link I have tried so far for info all require
      > big bucks to
      > access, even those who say they are free. the links
      > always go back
      > either ancestery.com or genealogy.com or similar.
      > Is there really
      > any
      > free help out there for accessing u.s. census,
      > immigrant info,
      > cemetery records, birth, marriage and death records
      > on line? thanks

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Visit Mom's Library
      http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

      ---------------------------------

    • Chris Cook
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 28, 2005
        Hi Linda, nope, I sure don't!! I live in Illinois. My hobby is Scrapbooking, and I do love to research, so I think Genealogy was just a good place to research. LOL LOL LOL
        ^--^
        (>'o'<)
        (,,) (,,)
        Thanks Chris. will try them. Notice you must be into my favorite hobby too. You don't by any chance live in canton, ohio do you? Linda

        Chris Cook <scrapper@...> wrote:There is for some of the things you are requesting. Start with the State Archives, some of them are on line. Like Illinois has Marriages online. Rootsweb is a wealth of free information, for just about anything that you would want. Cindi's List is another one. You can just Google any of them and it will come up. Also, just try Googling all sorts of things from where your ancestors lived. From Famous places in the county, to township name, Cemetary + county name, and of course your ancestors names + county and state. You'd be surprised what different sites you find with just stating a search phrase in a different manner. HTH
        ^--^
        (>'o'<)
        (,,) (,,)

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
          Hello all,

          This group sounds like such a fun way to work on genealogy together.
          Since I just joined, I wanted to introduce myself. I've been
          interested in genealogy for about 7 years, and much of the last 3 years
          I have spent on working on finding my Danish ancestors.

          I look forward to learning more about genealogy, and just having a
          place where other people share my interest.

          Carol Richey
        • denise collins
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
            Welcome to the group!!
            Denise, CA

            kolbemom <kolbemom@...> wrote: Hello all,

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
              Welcome Carole

              If you need any help in Mass or NE let me know and I'll try.

              Jim

            • Marge
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                Welcome, Denise!
                Post some of your lines. Who knows some of us may be your cousins!
                At present I am researching these lines:
                CASTEEL, GURLEY, TUBBS,
                You can see most of my lines here:
                http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/s/Marjorie-Casteel/index.html?Welcome=1040131499
                Marge

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                  Welcome aboard, Carol, and happy hunting!

                  ~april

                  "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                    Thanks, Jim.

                    Actually, I grew up in Nebraska and all of my immigrant ancestors
                    settled there in Knox, Pierce, Wayne, and Stanton counties.

                    Carol

                    --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Jim <Bmntywlsh55@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Welcome Carole
                    >
                    > If you need any help in Mass or NE let me know and I'll try.
                    >
                    > Jim

                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
                      OK Carol
                      I hope you can find them.? If you come across any uncles etc that were here I'll look!

                      Happy Hunting!? Jim

                    • Martha Menzel
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
                        Do you have any Switzer/Swisher's in Wayne County?

                        Martha

                      • kolbemom
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
                          Martha,

                          Switzer/Swisher isn't familiar to me, but I see there are quite a few
                          Switzers mentioned in the Nebraska compendium:
                          http://www.rootsweb.com/~neresour/OLLibrary/Comp_NE/names/namendxs.htm

                          If you'd like, email me at kolbemom@..., and we can discuss
                          local resources.

                          Carol

                          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Martha Menzel
                          <menzelgen@...> wrote:

                          > Do you have any Switzer/Swisher's in Wayne County?
                          >
                          > Martha

                        • dee.k124
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
                            My name is Dina and I am a History (US and African American Studies)major at Kean University in New Jersey...

                            I am completely fascinated by the colonial period of our history and decided to start researching the family histories of African American slaves that played a major role in US history...

                            I am currently working on a slave that was owned by George Washington and during the process have become addicted to genealogy...

                            Any pointers/help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

                            Thanks
                          • annystokes
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
                              Welcome Dina! I look forward to hearing about what you find in your research. Who knows ... maybe you'll write a book about it someday???

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
                                William was GW's valet and was by his throughout the entire Revolutionary War.  My objective is to trace
                                this familyto the present, in the hopes there will be oral history that I can learn from regarding William.
                                William has never been given any credit for being one of GW's most trusted men throughout this turning point
                                of our nation's history and I hope that in some way I will be able to do that.....

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
                                  Hi Dina and welcome to the group.  I had to lol when I read "you have become addicted to genealogy".  It happens to all of us ;)
                                  One of my great finds is that Booker T. Washington and I share a grandmother.  What a handsome man he was and a great educator along with his 2nd wife.
                                  You've got a big job ahead of you.  I hope you have a lot of patience!
                                  Do you have a list of who you want to research?
                                  Please let us know how your research is coming and if you run into a brick wall, there are many people here that can help.
                                  Patty

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 6, 2009
                                    Wow ... that's so cool. I hope you are able to bring his history to the forefront. Wouldn't you love to sit and listen to his accounts of it all??? Wish you had a diary from him. Oral history will be the next best thing. Let us know when you find out more!

                                    Ann

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 8, 2009
                                      Currently I am looking for any papers that relate to the Custis family along
                                      with the members of George Washington's family that inherited Mount
                                      Vernon after Martha's death....

                                      My project is focused on 2 slave brothers that were purchased by
                                      GW in the late 1760s, William "Billy" and Frank Lee.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 29, 2009
                                        pooh is a long time genealogy chatter and has done a lot
                                        of research, with great difficulty at times
                                        let's hope she will use this venue to seek help and help
                                        others