Newbie

  • brooklynne12201
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 19, 2005
      Hello!
      My name is Tammy. I am new to this group and also new to genealogy. I
      want to find out more about my family tree. Is there a way to find
      information online without having to pay dues to get into the ancestry
      archives to find information?
      Tammy
    • Wayne Harrell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 19, 2005
        From: "brooklynne12201" <brooklynne12201@...>
        Date: 2005/07/19 Tue AM 04:14:33 EDT
        To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [genchatfriends] Newbie

        There are a number of free links for information as several States have links to their State Archives up.. Also if there are some in England if you need to get information their.. What each site may have depends on the State posting to site as some carry more details than others. SC, NC, and VA are some that I've used on found have great free sites for land, wills, and other records on line.. Also Enland had site called A2A.. or one on Old Bailey that I've used and is good..

        First thing to do is post names of folks you might be looking for here with birth, marriage, and death dates as they apply along with places they may have been. If you have not started with living family suggest you do that before trying on line as best to get it all down first. Thus you will have a base to work with when trying to get on line and searching for those old bones...... Be sure to write it all down with any little bit of informaiton that they may give you one relatives...wayne
      • MW
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 14, 2005
          Hello,
          I just recently joined the group and have been spending time looking through the messages and files. Genealogy is fairly new to me. Just recently I received a treasure trove of information and am a little overwhelmed. My aunt researched our family for over 30 years. She died in 1990 and all her files have been haphazardly stored in an attic in boxes. It will take me months to get it all organized enough to even know what I have. Any advice about where to start would be appreciated.
          Margaret

        • Erin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2007
            Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and say Hello. I
            am sort of new to geneaology and I am so glad to have found this
            group. I am researching these surnames...if anyone could possibly
            help?
            Hardcastle
            Gunderson
            Myers
            Osterman(n)
            Thanks ahead of time!!
          • isaacdd2004
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 27, 2007
              Hello everyone! I signed up for this group last night and im'd with
              sar304 for awhile.

              I am so happy -- this is the best genealogy group I have found yet. I
              wish I had known about you a year ago. I have no family to talk with
              anymore, so had to go on my own. It was tough -- all those brick walls,
              even though I knew names, birth dates and places, residences, death
              dates and places and even where they are buried! Took me a several
              months, but I have to admit I learned a lot! Hard lessons learned, and
              I won't forget them soon.

              Thanks for having me, PattyGrace

            • April Payne

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Hi!
                  I am new to genealogy and to groups! I am hoping to get some help in learning the ropes.
                  Thanks,
                  Beth

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Welcome aboard, Beth.

                    ~april

                    "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                    ________________________________
                    I am new to genealogy and to groups! I am hoping to get some help in learning the ropes.
                    Thanks,
                    Beth

                  • Verna Lynn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                      Welcome

                      there are lots of people here, all friendly and helpful. they all made me feel welcome.
                      I've been in the group a month but been researching my ancestry for a few years. I still have alot to learn myself. but I've made alot of progress so far. I'm taking genealogy classes at the indiana state library each week. its a summer program they have. I've been at genealogy long enough that quite a bit of it I've figured out on my own already, but still learning alot from the classes as far as types of records worth going after that people aren't always aware are out there and learning and where to find them. It showed me that despite the Huge files that I have accumulated just on the first grandparrent, that I have barely scratched the surface of available data floating around out there.

                      none of your lines are anything that I am research.

                      I'm researching
                      Austermiller from germany and clay county, and vigo county IND,
                      Otto from German to IND
                      Page from , England to NJ to IND
                      Hobson from England to PA to NC to IND
                      Briggs from Ireland to virgina to IND,
                      Glenn from Ireland to KY to IND
                      Phillips, from PA to NC to ky to IND
                      Finchum from KY to IND
                      Shepherd, native american (haven't tackled that branch yet)
                      Mapes from Ireland then efentually IND

                      if any of your lines require information from central indiana, let me know I may be able to assist you, I visit libraries frequently in many counties nearby, and there are several central indiana libraries I need to hit. would be happy to look something up for anyone needing access to my area. esp the counties of hendricks, morgan, marion, johnson, clay owen and vigo.

                      this offer is extened to anyone out there.

                      also I know of several great German geanealogy websites if any is reasearching germany. but always looking for more german websites if anyone knows of good ones I might not have. I know enough german to navigate a genealogy website. all the nessisary words, sirname, birth baptism, marriage,mother, father, sister, godmother etc. and of course you quickly learn the german words for "no results found" seen that one more times than I like.

                      Verna Lynn

                      --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <coatesfamilymail@...> wrote:

                      > Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and say Hello. I
                      > am sort of new to geneaology and I am so glad to have found this
                      > group. I am researching these surnames...if anyone could possibly
                      > help?
                      > Hardcastle
                      > Gunderson
                      > Myers
                      > Osterman(n)
                      > Thanks ahead of time!!

                    • Verna Lynn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009
                        Welcom Beth

                        what kind of help are you looking for?
                        I'm sure whatever it is there is someone here who can give you an idea as to how to proceed.

                        the people here are very nice and all have great family stories to share. fun to hear about all the everyones triumps, and discoveries, and to hear about all the odd stuff that we encounter as we journey backwards in time discovering our ancestors.

                        Verna

                        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Beth" <keynomore@...> wrote:

                        > Hi!
                        > I am new to genealogy and to groups! I am hoping to get some help in learning the ropes.
                        > Thanks,
                        > Beth

                      • Martha Menzel
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2009
                          Hi,

                          Welcome to this group!

                          I have a

                          James Tucker Page (b abt 1802 in Charlottesville, VA; d 2 May 1852 in MO--most probably Linn County) and his descendants.

                          George Mitchell Phillips (b abt 1771 in Amherst County, VA; d unknown) and his descendants

                          Martha

                        • Mary