Re: [genchatfriends] search robert hipkins info

  • Fran O'Brien
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 23 6:58 PM
      Marian,
      On further research there is a Washington Township in Pa.
      Fran
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 23 7:21 PM
        Fran,

        Where the SS # was issued really doesn't have anything to do with where he
        was born. Today we sign our kids up at the hospital when they are born.
        Back then he would not have needed a SS# until he started working.

        I live outside D.C. and have access to some old phone books. I can't do it
        this next week, but I will try and check them as soon as I can.

        Linda

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Dave and Tamara Richter
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 23 7:28 PM
          One thing to remember though is SS #'s were not issued at birth back then. I
          was born in CA but got mine when I was 12 years old in MT. I am only 40 and
          this was a common thing even then. You would get your SS# when u got your
          1st job like a paper route or something like that.

          Tamara
        • Linda DeB
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 23 7:52 PM
            Fran,

            Another thought. You can give your Dad's information to the SS Department
            and request a copy of his original SS application.

            I did this for my Grandfather and the information it provided me was
            invaluable. It gave me the place of his birth, where he lived when he
            applied for the card, what his parents names were and what his occupation
            was at the time of application.

            This could be a great asset to you.

            Linda

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 24 9:02 AM
              Linda,
              My answer was to the person who was looking for her father..the Florida records do not include social security records. However my limited research was to give her a couple of possible leads.
              For example my father had a social security number but because he worked for the government who at that time had their own program is not to be found in the Social Security Death record.
              I know this because I researched it and I have his SS card in my records.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 24 10:26 AM
                From: "marian" <marian_hipkins_2004@...>
                Date: 2005/04/23 Sat AM 11:19:56 EDT
                To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com

                The fact his SSAN was issued in on location and he was from another is not uncommon if one figures he may have been from a military family with father working government job. I was born and lived most of my life in Georgia but my SSAN was issued from Puerto Rico as was all my siblings as we happened to be there when we came of age to have one or need one so that's what we got. Also many contract workers of the times left family in one place and males moved to where the work was at and may later have moved family. Also consider father left an expecting wife with his or her folks and went off where work was. 1941 was war years.

              • Linda DeB
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 24 10:34 AM
                  Fran,

                  Sorry, I should have addressed my reply to Marian.

                  Have you tried getting your Dad's original SS application? We had the same
                  problem that you have with your Dad having a SS#, but then working for the
                  government. We had the SS Department search the # we had and sure enough
                  they found in application and we got all types of great information that
                  helped up find his parents.

                  Good luck.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 24 5:49 PM
                    Linda,
                    I have my father's records including his death certificate, military service. I have both his parents and both there parents. I am searching my immigration program for exactly what city in Ireland they came from as well as what ship and port of entry. I found my grandmother's sister arrived in Boston but not my grandmother. They all came in different years. I have traced my mother family Goodwin, Mason, Blaisdell, Abbott and Gladhill in some strange methods. My grandmother Alice Mason Goodwin while born in Maine according to her marriage certificate lived in Pueblo Co. and is listed with her father in the census there in 1900. Her father Albert J Mason was registered as a widower. Alice had an older sister Gladys who died we believe at the same time as her mother Laura Gladhill date of death unknown. Laura was from Liberty Township Ohio. She was married by 1880 census and living in Colorado. I crossed checked it because her sister Clarita Gladhill was living with them then. The Gladhills of Ohio were Mordica and Jerusha (unknown maiden name).
                    I only do this occaisionally when I have time. I have a number of programs including Social Security, Immigration,and the US census.
                    I am still trying to verify my grandfather O'Brien, where he came from. That will take time.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 24 7:02 PM
                      Fran,

                      I am replying to Marian's message.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 25 6:54 AM
                        Everyone has so many different ways of finding
                        information it is amazing. Fran in your searching of
                        imigration records have you come across any Dingmans?

                        Kathy

                        === message truncated ===
                      • John VanBuskirk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 25 9:44 AM
                          Hi I do have a Dingman family very early in the Dutch Colonies around
                          Albant, NY,
                          Adam Dingman b about 1645 married Aeltje Gardiner and had 5 children I Know
                          of, two of the daughters married 2 Van Allen Brothers, whose offspring
                          combined in my family tree.
                          Sarah married a Johannes Van Alen, Josyntje m Peter Van Alen. I have the
                          Van Alen/ Van Allen line traced, but very little more on the others. one
                          Rachel did marry a Van Ostrander. I am not sure about the others. If your
                          line connects that far back, I may be able to find a liittle more. see my
                          website -the Van Allen links for my side. good luck.JOHN C VAN BUSKIRK
                          http://www.geocities.com/vanbus1/
                          jvanbus1@...
                          > Everyone has so many different ways of finding
                          > information it is amazing. Fran in your searching of
                          > imigration records have you come across any Dingmans?
                          >
                          > Kathy
                          > --- Linda DeB <lindad406@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Fran,
                          > >
                          > > I am replying to Marian's message.
                          > >
                          > > Linda

                        • Fran O'Brien
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 25 11:16 AM
                            Kathy
                            Can you tell me where they immigrated from? I can check if I have a birth date and full name
                            Fran

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 2, 2005
                              Adam Dingman came from Belguim I beleive at that time
                              it was called something else
                              I have his name but not his wifes, the first one came
                              in the 1500s I beleive then went back.

                              === message truncated ===
                            • the_kat43
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 2, 2005
                                thank you this is part of the family line. I want
                                to get as much done as i can before August as we are
                                having a Dingman family reunion in Minnesota at that
                                time.

                                Thnk you for answering

                                Kathy

                                === message truncated ===