New here

  • jmeyer
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 8, 2005
      Hi I am a new memeber here, and I do a lot of genealogy, have compiled a few
      census books in IL and do lookups alos an dhelp beginners a lot. Its a hobby
      I really enjoy so if anyone needs help just ask.
      Joe
    • C.Y.
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 8, 2005
        Welcome to the group her Joe.My name is Cindy.I live in Massachusetts.Ditto on the help offer.I have been working on my family tree since 1996 and still feel like a newbie against those that have done this for many decades.I have been trying to get my info soley via the internet.I feel I have done fairly well.Being a disabled person,I have few things that keep me as occupied as my genealogy research does.Once again I throw my surnames to the breeze.

        (A)YOUNG ATTWOOD STEER HOOKER HUCKLE /(B)CLARK REAGH GATES BAKER
        (A) Luton, Bedfordshire England /(B)Annapolis County,Nova Scotia

        Have a great day
      • jmeyer
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 9, 2005
          Cindy I have no information on any of thses names in any of my files.
          Joe
          > Welcome to the group her Joe.My name is Cindy.I live in
          Massachusetts.Ditto on the help offer.I have been working on my family tree
          since 1996 and still feel like a newbie against those that have done this
          for many decades.I have been trying to get my info soley via the internet.I
          feel I have done fairly well.Being a disabled person,I have few things that
          keep me as occupied as my genealogy research does.Once again I throw my
          surnames to the breeze.

          > (A)YOUNG ATTWOOD STEER HOOKER HUCKLE /(B)CLARK REAGH GATES BAKER
          > (A) Luton, Bedfordshire England
          /(B)Annapolis County,Nova Scotia

          > Have a great day
          >

          > Visit Mom's Library
          > http://www.genealogychatfriends.org
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • marikh37
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 7, 2005
            Hello! I am new here! My name is Mari and I am hoping to meet some
            new people who enjoy genealogy too.

            Hope to get to know you all soon!
            Mari
          • beaulah_2001us
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 17, 2007
              Hello all. I am new in here and I happy to be a new member. I have main
              names that I am searching right now and thier lines.

              Schiewe, Baumann, Montgomery, Franklin, Paddock, Worden, Brockwell.

              The Schiewes are Germans from Russia, I am not sure about the Baumanns
              yet. Montgomery's came from the south, Miss,. Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma
              and before that the Carolina's. Rumored from Ireland. The Franklin side
              I am curious about because it is said that Delilah Kitty Franklin who
              married my great grandpa had Native American Indian in her line.

              Paddock has been in Virginia and New York before grandpa came out here.
              Wordens seem to come from the Saratoga Springs area and also had the
              Worden Hotel

            • Lilith
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 17, 2007
                Hello and welcome!!

                I'm rather new to this list also and new to genealology as well. You'll
                soon find that everyone here is very friendly and knowledgeable.
                Unfortunately, I'm not able to be of much help with the names you are
                searching, but someone else here may be.

                I hope you enjoy being here with us and good luck with your search.

                Lilith
                VPMM
                Searcing: Hundoble, Hundobler

                On 6/17/07, beaulah_2001us <beaulah_2001us@...> wrote:

                > Hello all. I am new in here and I happy to be a new member. I have main
                > names that I am searching right now and thier lines.
                >
                > Schiewe, Baumann, Montgomery, Franklin, Paddock, Worden, Brockwell.
                >
                > The Schiewes are Germans from Russia, I am not sure about the Baumanns
                > yet. Montgomery's came from the south, Miss,. Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma
                > and before that the Carolina's. Rumored from Ireland. The Franklin side
                > I am curious about because it is said that Delilah Kitty Franklin who
                > married my great grandpa had Native American Indian in her line.
                >
                > Paddock has been in Virginia and New York before grandpa came out here.
                > Wordens seem to come from the Saratoga Springs area and also had the
                > Worden Hotel

              • Tammy
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Hi, my name is Tammy. I joined this group hoping to get a little help
                  and maybe solving a little mystery in my family. My mothers maiden
                  name is Hoover. There is a story that we are a shirt tail relation to
                  Herbert Hoover. My great grandfather, Jacob Hoover, is supposedly
                  mentioned in an autobiography by Herbert Hoover. The only
                  autobiography I have found are his memoirs. There is no mention of a
                  Jacob Hoover in there. I'm beginning to have my doubts on this story.
                  I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
                  Thanks,
                  Tammy
                • Gale Nash
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                    Hi Tammy,

                    Perhaps this link to Herbert Hoover's genealogy will help.

                    http://www.nps.gov/heho/historyculture/genealogy.htm

                    Gale

                    Hi, my name is Tammy. I joined this group hoping to get a little help
                    and maybe solving a little mystery in my family. My mothers maiden
                    name is Hoover. There is a story that we are a shirt tail relation to
                    Herbert Hoover. My great grandfather, Jacob Hoover, is supposedly
                    mentioned in an autobiography by Herbert Hoover. The only
                    autobiography I have found are his memoirs. There is no mention of a
                    Jacob Hoover in there. I'm beginning to have my doubts on this story.
                    I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
                    Thanks,
                    Tammy

                    8:59 AM

                  • Martha Menzel
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                      Have you tried a book search on Google (as opposed to a web search)? It doesn't have all the books and they are constantly adding more, but I've found it to be helpful for some genealogy research.  For some of the books, you can see the entire book, for others only part or none, but you can search for phrases in books.  A search for "Jacob Hoover" exact phrase returned 639 hits.  I didn't look for Herbert Hoover as the author because some else could have written it from talking to him.

                      Go to www.google.com -- from the top line select more and select books from the drop down.

                      Martha

                    • Tammy
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                        Thanks Gale, but I've been there. Thanks to the hard work someone else
                        did my Hoover side is online at familysearch.org all the way back to
                        Switzerland 1490. I fell off my chair when I saw that. Anyway I have yet
                        to make a connection between Jacob Hoover and Herbert Hoover. I have my
                        doubts because Jacob Hoover died in 1888, Herbert Hoover was born in
                        1874. They aren't from the same area so I'm doubtful that their paths
                        ever crossed. As for being in Herbert Hoover's family tree, that's not
                        looking good either.

                        Tammy:)

                        Gale Nash wrote:

                        > Hi Tammy,
                        >
                        > Perhaps this link to Herbert Hoover's genealogy will help.
                        >
                        > http://www.nps.gov/heho/historyculture/genealogy.htm
                        > <http://www.nps.gov/heho/historyculture/genealogy.htm>
                        >
                        > Gale

                      • Tammy
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                          Thanks Martha, I'll try that.

                          Tammy:)

                          Martha Menzel wrote:

                          > Have you tried a book search on Google (as opposed to a web search)?
                          > It doesn't have all the books and they are constantly adding more, but
                          > I've found it to be helpful for some genealogy research. For some of
                          > the books, you can see the entire book, for others only part or none,
                          > but you can search for phrases in books. A search for "Jacob Hoover"
                          > exact phrase returned 639 hits. I didn't look for Herbert Hoover as
                          > the author because some else could have written it from talking to him.
                          >
                          > Go to www.google.com -- from the top line select more and select books
                          > from the drop down.
                          >
                          > Martha

                        • Synaptic Freak
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                            You know, *IF* President Hoover said anything , I would think that somehow, someway there would be some sort of historical record of it in the library of congress....the library of congress is massive....im sure if he wrote an autobiography, it would be somewhere in there ...:-)

                            http://www.loc.gov/index.html

                            Its all about music, I call myself Top Quark.
                            Music Page:
                            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=232115&content=music

                            Personal Profile Page:
                            http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=topquark

                            Interesting stuff: Defenestration, Trepanation (Just imagine, a trepanic drill!!...lol), Synesthesia

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 11, 2008
                                I have grown up thinking I was related to Herbert Hoover because of a
                                piece of paper that had the names and birth and death dates of my great
                                grandfather and all his children (there were 16 all together, wow). At
                                the bottom of the paper it says this;

                                "Elias Hoover was born in Stark County Ohio. His father was Jacob Hoover
                                whose name can be found in the Autobiography of Herbert C. Hoover. Jacob
                                Hoover was the father of three sons, Elias, Enoch and Reuben. Also a
                                daughter Mary. Reuben settled in the west, Oregon I believe.
                                Another daughter Ann. Ann was a spiritualist. She married Frank Catt,
                                divorced him and married Charles Haskel. They lived in Menomonie, Wi.
                                for years"

                                We all just assumed we're related in some way to President Hoover.
                                During this election my son was doing a lot of school work on past
                                presidents and government and stuff. I thought it would be a neat little
                                fact for him to share, but the more I dig the more I think it's highly
                                unlikely that we are related to Herbert Hoover at all. There are a
                                million Hoovers out there and almost as many Jacob's.

                                Tammy:)

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
                                  That's similar to a family rumor we have, only we're allegedly related to Gen. John Sevier, the very first governor of Tennessee.  While we do have a Sevier in the line, so far I have not personally been able to connect her to the General.  Others over at Ancestry.com have made the connections, but I haven't found the required paper trail, thus far.  I'm merely using their names as hints to help me in my search, although a couple of these new-found cousins have said with a surety the relationship is there.  So, until I get some better proof than somebody's word, I cannot take this for anything but a rumor.  And just for the record my grandfather is the one who told us we were related.  What do you do?  LOL

                                  ~april

                                  "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                                  ________________________________

                                  Synaptic Freak wrote:

> [...]
                                  >
                                  > --- On Tue, 11/11/08, Tammy <binnyfra@msn. com
                                  > <mailto:binnyfra% 40msn.com> > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > From: Tammy <binnyfra@msn. com <mailto:binnyfra% 40msn.com> >
                                  > Subject: [genchatfriends] New here
                                  > To: genealogychatfriend s@yahoogroups. com
                                  > <mailto:genealogych atfriends% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                  > Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 8:29 PM
                                  >
                                  > Hi, my name is Tammy. I joined this group hoping to get a little help
                                  > and maybe solving a little mystery in my family. My mothers maiden
                                  > name is Hoover. There is a story that we are a shirt tail relation to
                                  > Herbert Hoover. My great grandfather, Jacob Hoover, is supposedly
                                  > mentioned in an autobiography by Herbert Hoover. The only
                                  > autobiography I have found are his memoirs. There is no mention of a
                                  > Jacob Hoover in there. I'm beginning to have my doubts on this story.
                                  > I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

                                • Erick Hoeman
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 12, 2008
                                         Yes, President Hoover did say in 1928 election poster, He promise voters a chicken in every pot.What the country got instead was the Great Depression. Today,those of us knocked silly by the return of Hoover-like ecomony are unlikely to be impress by a political pledge of more chicken.We already have a chicken in a pot,a wok,a Dutch oven and a saute pan. Chicken, an early-20th-century luxury,is our top go-to choice for dinner. The key now is to buy chicken whole,which is cheaper than the sum of buying its parts. So,buying the bird as our budget-stretching grandmothers did. A whole bird cost about $1.50 a pound,compared with nearly $6 a pound for boneless,skinless fillets,$3.70 a pound for tenders or $2.80 a pound for wings. Only the legs,thighs and the drumsticks bought whole cost less than an intact bird,about $1.40 a pound. So,"A whole bird is a smart way to buy and eat chicken,maybe we ought to buy a few to put into that pot,"  What you
                                    think Hoover would say?? LOL.. allages4us

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 19, 2008
                                      Tammy,

                                      My husband's side of the family is connected with the Herbert Hoover line of Hoover. I think the family crest has "Huber" on it ??? His grandmother did a lot of genealogical research -- catalogued it all. My sister-in-law has it. If you'd like me to run some names by her, I'd be happy to do so. Contact me offline.

                                      Gale Nash wrote:

                                      > Hi Tammy,
                                      >
                                      > Perhaps this link to Herbert Hoover's genealogy will help.
                                      >
                                      > http://www.nps.gov/heho/historyculture/genealogy.htm
                                      > <http://www.nps.gov/heho/historyculture/genealogy.htm>
                                      >
                                      > Gale

                                    • Scorp
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 20, 2008
                                        Does anyone know a way to find thos listed as dying in the epedmic of 1918? i have been looking for a family member who lived in Poland named Adeline Rebecca Wroblevicv 9spelling i was given. The only other info I have is she was married to Nisson Kosowitz who I beleive lived in Kosiki, Poland.

                                        Thanks

                                        Brian

                                      • snickerflix
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 23, 2008
                                          Hello, I'm new here, although I've been reading the threads for a couple
                                          of weeks now, but I haven't written anything. My lines are Hubert,
                                          Stettler, Felten, Moll, Sullivan and Siebert. My Huberts say they are
                                          from Alsace/Lorraine France. When you look at a map, Alsace is a
                                          "county" and Lorraine is a "county". They say that my great grandma and
                                          grandpa "met on the island in Alsace/Lorraine France". What that's
                                          supposed to mean, no one is really sure. Maybe I can get some clues
                                          here.

                                          Marilyn

                                          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "annystokes"