Help! Good free program needed

  • Angela Jöbstl
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi all,

      I want to create one family tree for my website. I've downloaded three programs now but none satisfies me. I want to write name, occupation, birth and death date & location. Further I want to have it as easy as possible (only normal boxes, no pictures are needed) and I must be able to show siblings and half siblings to (Ages is a good program but it won't let me do that). Can anyone suggest me a free software or shareware (then I should be able to save it in order to put it on my homepage, but it can have a time limitation, as said I only need it once).

      Thanks,
      Angela
    • Wayne Harrell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
        From: "Lisa Floyd-Crowe" <iwasfloyd@...>
        Date: 2003/12/03 Wed PM 03:49:26 EST
        To: <genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [genchatfriends] Help! Good free program needed

        Also until ya know what ya might want make sure you tell the folks at Family Tree Maker that you only want the basic program and are not interested in the extras that might come in their package sets. Also many of the FTM sets in stores include extra CD that can for the most part be found free on line or are so far outdated they not worth the extra you pay to have them... Example is FTM adds a SSAN Death index which by the time it gets to store shelves is millions of names behind while several free on lines sites provide the same and they are for the most part only ninety days at most behind actual on line SS services giving the same information... Also once you get the current Version which I believe is up to V11 now you don't need to keep updating every time they come out with new version; unless you realy want to add a new feature should they add one. Also FTW does provide free on line updates should problems come up with their program all you need do is check with them to see if an update has been made to the current program you're using..

        I've been with FTW from V3.1 and have now updated only three times up to V9 now so still two Versions behind but the program still does what I want... it may cost you about $20 for the initial program but it worth the price and will do most of what you wanted from such a program.. including adding photos should you later decide to get into that. As I travel to cemetery and have one single program set for cemetery photos breaking them down by US --- State ---- County --- Cemetery -- Family Names as if it were a descending family tree.. In the State section I've put maps into the photo area showing each county in the state then down to the County have added details on the individual county and then details on the cemetery.... this helps cause can make reports as far back as I need to for folks... Takes a lot of work but once get the LAZY side moving into it works out great for keeping my photos in some order...

        Wayne A Harrell
        Harrell Family House
        Looking for old Bones
        Virginia to Georgia
      • judy blackman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
          How about PAF from the familysearch.org site.

          Judy
          --- Angela_J�bstl <angela79at@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I want to create one family tree for my website. I've downloaded three
          > programs now but none satisfies me. I want to write name, occupation,
          > birth and death date & location. Further I want to have it as easy as
          > possible (only normal boxes, no pictures are needed) and I must be able
          > to show siblings and half siblings to (Ages is a good program but it
          > won't let me do that). Can anyone suggest me a free software or
          > shareware (then I should be able to save it in order to put it on my
          > homepage, but it can have a time limitation, as said I only need it
          > once).
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Angela

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • ganlon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2004
            Angela, you might want to check out the free PDF program at
            Ancestry.com and Legends.com is also supposed to have a free program
            you can download. The one from Legends is currently being used by a
            retired genealogist and she says it is a very nice program. I am
            currently using Family Tree Maker version 11 and am very happy with
            it. If you have FTM already you should be able to do what you
            want. I've not done that before. Let us know how you make out.
            Ganlon