DNA testing...

  • marcastn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2003
      Hey quiet bunch!
      Have any of you had any experience with DNA and genealogy?
      Several researchers are creating study groups for surnames here:
      http://www.familytreedna.com/index.html
      Does anyone know anything about these folks?
      Seems there is the possibility of being able to determine if different
      lines of the same surname are related. What other possibilities are
      there?
      Waiting for your answers!
      Marge

    • tired_warrior2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2003
        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "marcastn"
        <marcastn@b...> wrote:
        > Hey quiet bunch!
        > Have any of you had any experience with DNA and genealogy?
        > Several researchers are creating study groups for surnames here:
        > http://www.familytreedna.com/index.html
        > Does anyone know anything about these folks?
        > Seems there is the possibility of being able to determine if
        different
        > lines of the same surname are related. What other possibilities are
        > there?
        > Waiting for your answers!
        > Marge

        Heya,

        DNA sure is impressive as seen on tv both on fictional shows and in
        the news. I wonder what effect it would have had on religion if it
        had been available 2000 years ago?

        I have a bro-in law who, for years, has questioned who his father
        was, suspecting his father was different from his siblings father.
        He invested a whopping bit of money, had to get DNA swabs from
        PROBABILITY exits that he was sired by a different father than h8is
        sibl8ings, but unconclusive. Poor guy is worse off than before and
        has maybe caused some hard feelings within the famly.

        Will DNA be a boon to genealogy? Sure seems excting to thini so, but
        at present I betcha it will be one hell of an expensive way of
        substantating the limbs and branches of family trees.

        Tired Warrior
        aka: Joseph

        Walk Softly Upon The Earth Its The Only One We Have
        http://cemeteriesofcolumbiaco.homestead.com/index.html
        (A non-commercial web site with absolutely NO advertisements)
      • a6_driver
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2003
          DNA Testing.....Pro or Con

          Isn't it funny how on those "Talk shows" on TV they can prove without
          a shadow of a doubt that a certain person is the parent of another,
          well I agree with Tired Warrior, I don't think they can be 100% sure
          of anything. The latest "fad" seems to be that you can prove you
          have Native American bloodlines using DNA, I hate to burst everyone's
          bubble but I think that this too will be more a case of "Well yeah
          you may have Native American ancestry, but we can't be 100% sure" we
          might as well face facts here, they have alot of work to do with DNA
          testing before it's foolproof.

          And would you want to put your family through the hassle of
          collecting DNA samples then to find out there still isn't the proof
          you were looking for!!??

          A6

          <marcastn@b...> wrote:
          > Hey quiet bunch!
          > Have any of you had any experience with DNA and genealogy?
          > Several researchers are creating study groups for surnames here:
          > http://www.familytreedna.com/index.html
          > Does anyone know anything about these folks?
          > Seems there is the possibility of being able to determine if
          different
          > lines of the same surname are related. What other possibilities are
          > there?
          > Waiting for your answers!
          > Marge

        • Dina
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
            Speaking of Native American DNA testing ...

            I had my DNA tested recently from said company, one of the main
            attractions to me was the fact that I could finally show folks on
            paper that I had Asian ancestry ... people always act as if I'm
            telling some creative family folklore fib, as I look like a plain
            old, euro mix.

            Anyway, the test came back showing that I had that percent of NATIVE
            AMERICAN ancestry. Turns out that Central Asian DNA "markers" look
            just like Native American DNA "markers". I could be retested and
            reclassified as per what makes actual sense, but really, do I want to
            reward them for their mistake? Or should I say, their assumption?

            So, I guess the point is buyer beware yet again.

            -- Dina

            --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, a6_driver
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > DNA Testing.....Pro or Con
            >
            > Isn't it funny how on those "Talk shows" on TV they can prove
            without
            > a shadow of a doubt that a certain person is the parent of another,
            > well I agree with Tired Warrior, I don't think they can be 100%
            sure
            > of anything. The latest "fad" seems to be that you can prove you
            > have Native American bloodlines using DNA, I hate to burst
            everyone's
            > bubble but I think that this too will be more a case of "Well yeah
            > you may have Native American ancestry, but we can't be 100% sure"
            we
            > might as well face facts here, they have alot of work to do with
            DNA
            > testing before it's foolproof.
            >
            > And would you want to put your family through the hassle of
            > collecting DNA samples then to find out there still isn't the proof
            > you were looking for!!??
          • a6_driver
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
              There seems to be some confusion about what the DNA
              testing for Indian heritage entails.

              My understanding is that it isn't complete by any
              means. For instance, although it is possible to locate
              the genetic marker - if you are a woman, that marker
              would have to pass un-restricted from female to female
              all down the line.

              It won't tell you if somewhere back there it was the
              male that passed along the marker. If even one of the
              ancestors from which the blood-line flows was male,
              the test won't pick it up.

              I have a friend who had the test done, and it only
              told her what she already knew, that she had Indian
              ancestry. It could not tell her, however, her blood
              quantum, how far back in her line the full-blood was,
              nor exactly which Nation to which her ancestors
              belonged.

              As a note - it is also not acceptable proof for
              federal recognition.

              anyway, hope this helps.

              --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Dina"
              <phoenixwinged@y...> wrote:
              > Speaking of Native American DNA testing ...
              >
              > I had my DNA tested recently from said company, one of the main
              > attractions to me was the fact that I could finally show folks on
              > paper that I had Asian ancestry ... people always act as if I'm
              > telling some creative family folklore fib, as I look like a plain
              > old, euro mix.
              >
              > Anyway, the test came back showing that I had that percent of
              NATIVE
              > AMERICAN ancestry. Turns out that Central Asian DNA "markers" look
              > just like Native American DNA "markers". I could be retested and
              > reclassified as per what makes actual sense, but really, do I want
              > reward them for their mistake? Or should I say, their assumption?
              >
              > So, I guess the point is buyer beware yet again.
              >
              > -- Dina
            • Wayne Harrell
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2003
                Since we are still learning about DNA in itself it is hard to believe that they can track it back 200 or 300 years and say one of my ancestors was from Timbucktwo and thus is Timbuckian. As I read these and do some research on it I find that depending on who what where when why how the test is done makes all the difference on the test. Also since in that 200 to 300 years think about how mixed up our linages have become so who is to say when a person has .001% Timbuckian or 40% Timbuckian. Also what about the odd genes in the linages that have been lost among the living yet still in the genetic pool? How do they figure in these races of people into the genetic jungle if they have no current knowledge of them?
                Read that they use depending on locatin between 16 and 27 markers in the genetic materials they test to connect one sample to another sample and say they match each other. Match each other enough that people are tried for crimes and sent to prison or put to death simple because 16 to 27 or your genes were found on a body or at a crime sceen. Think about how many people have say A+ versus A- blood type and then figure in all the other blood types. Thus how at this point in time can we say that because gene #209 to 212 & 378 & so on makes me Timbuckian.
                Then if we all came from common stock or blood linage per the Bible then we started with only TWO separate blood DNA groups and these then by Noah expanded to EIGHT blood DNA groups of which Noah and his sons would share some common genes that would be passed down family. The wives of the three sons of Noah would be the mixing block in this process so cutting the original Noah and his wife genitic mixing into the sons. Anyway at this point I have seen nothing to indicate that DNA testing is worth paying to learn about. I have more important things than spend my money on something established to profit some Genetic Company to tell me I am .004% Timbuckian and so much some other race. One way is to use it to travel and visit the places my ancestors lived so I can find out more about them. Even then I still do not know how much Timbuckian is in my mother or her grand mother or any of my ancestors. I just know them and where and when they lived.....

                Wayne A Harrell
                Harrell Family House
                Looking for old Bones
                Virginia to Georgia
              • wrap_lady
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 25, 2003
                  On most of the talk shows they have the mother, the baby and all the
                  (?) fathers. In that case they can be about 99.9% sure.