Re: [genchatfriends] Re: Ancestry.com

  • Kathleen Bares
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 17, 2003
      I just read your e-mail and agree. But I do have a suggestion that may or may not help. If you live anywhere near a Family History Center you can go on line and check the census records for free.....they pay for the subscription so patrons can use them when they come in. I know that may cause some inconvience, but it will save you some money. Kathleen

      kai_firewolf <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:--- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, aunt_jay <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > I read of the unfortunate experience with Ancestry.com. I used the
      > 14 day free trial but carefully cancelled it in time. I argued
      with
      > them that they would get more customers if they would change their
      > policy to one where the customer could buy a subscription for a
      > specified period and there would not be any automatic renewal.
      > They should ask if you want to renew; instead you have to cancel or
      > the renewal is automatic. You can't call a couple of days ahead
      for
      > a cancellation to take effect in two days either. Your
      cancellation
      > takes effect when you call. This puts you in a position of having
      > be very careful not to run over but if you want to get your full
      > period, you have to wait until the last day to cancel. I believe
      the
      > situation is somewhat the same at genealogy.com for their
      > subscriptions. These policies are not user friendly and I really
      > feel they would get much more business if they would change their
      > policies.
      > The census at ancestry.com is very useful so it is a shame they
      > insist on this type of billing policy.
      > Rid should have been able to cancel by telephone if it was only a
      few
      > days late. I think Ancestry.com is making enemies instead of
      > cultivating satisfied customers.
      > Aunt_Jay

      I didn't realize they were doing that. I am really glad for the
      information Aunt Jay. I agree with you on this situation.

      Kai_FireWolf

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Visit Mom's Library
      http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

    • sparrowbird52
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2003
        This will be my second year for Ancestry and I just received a phone
        call from them last evening about renewing. I am not crazy about
        their sales tactics but I love being able to access records in the
        wee hours of the night when I am at my "best." :-) They sure raised
        their prices, too. I'll give it one more year, I guess because it
        takes a while to learn how to access so much information, but I think
        it is MUCH too steep for a subscription.

        Debbie

        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Bares
        <oregonbares@y...> wrote:

        > I just read your e-mail and agree. But I do have a suggestion that
        may or may not help. If you live anywhere near a Family History
        Center you can go on line and check the census records for
        free.....they pay for the subscription so patrons can use them when
        they come in. I know that may cause some inconvience, but it will
        save you some money. Kathleen

        > kai_firewolf <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:--- In
        genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, aunt_jay <no_reply@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I read of the unfortunate experience with Ancestry.com. I used
        the
        > > 14 day free trial but carefully cancelled it in time. I argued
        > with
        > > them that they would get more customers if they would change
        their
        > > policy to one where the customer could buy a subscription for a
        > > specified period and there would not be any automatic renewal.
        > > They should ask if you want to renew; instead you have to cancel
        or
        > > the renewal is automatic. You can't call a couple of days ahead
        > for
        > > a cancellation to take effect in two days either. Your
        > cancellation
        > > takes effect when you call. This puts you in a position of
        having
        > > be very careful not to run over but if you want to get your full
        > > period, you have to wait until the last day to cancel. I believe
        > the
        > > situation is somewhat the same at genealogy.com for their
        > > subscriptions. These policies are not user friendly and I really
        > > feel they would get much more business if they would change their
        > > policies.
        > > The census at ancestry.com is very useful so it is a shame they
        > > insist on this type of billing policy.
        > > Rid should have been able to cancel by telephone if it was only a
        > few
        > > days late. I think Ancestry.com is making enemies instead of
        > > cultivating satisfied customers.
        > > Aunt_Jay
        >
        > I didn't realize they were doing that. I am really glad for the
        > information Aunt Jay. I agree with you on this situation.
        >
        > Kai_FireWolf
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Visit Mom's Library
        > http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

        Service.

      • wohalispirits@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2003
          I love Ancestry. I just renewed for my third year. I really couldn't do
          without the censuses even though my town has a great library. Of course,
          there are some things I don't like.....but it really is convenient.

        • sparrowbird52
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2003
            Thanks for replying. I know I can go so many places to get
            information, but I agree with you. It is so convenient to have access
            in my home to so many records. Do you have their book "The Source?" I
            agreed to try it this time, too, because I was sure I am not using
            the site to it's fullest potential. I hope it is helpful.

            Debbie

            --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, wohalispirits@a... wrote:
            > I love Ancestry. I just renewed for my third year. I really
            couldn't do
            > without the censuses even though my town has a great library. Of
            course,
            > there are some things I don't like.....but it really is convenient.

          • Wayne Harrell
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2003
              From: sparrowbird52 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: 2003/04/12 Sat AM 01:42:27 EDT
              To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [genchatfriends] Re: Ancestry.com

              An easy way to make it cost less and more effective when you go for membership at Ancestry.com or any other such service is to make it usable by a family group. Simply set one user name for all and then a single password for it, this way when you not able to use it your family working with you have the ability to use it also. I've got several cousins working on family history and each of us have joined certain services and we keep the bills paid on it. Since we set it up with a set user ID and password then anyone in the family who is working with us can use it. Also with all the information coming out one of my cousins my figure out how to find something I can't or don't have the time to look for while I do my own thing. This way it makes it worth joining as a family group since you only pay for one service and can get into several services. Also the more eyes looking over something the easier it's to find maybe something to help pull those hard to find family bones out of the closets, also helps when you need help trying to unlock that closet at Ancestry.com as some of the programs are not all that easy to use.

              Wayne A Harrell
              Harrell Family House
              Looking for old Bones
              Virginia to Georgia
            • brbrooks99
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2003
                --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, wohalispirits@a... wrote:
                > I love Ancestry. I just renewed for my third year. I really
                couldn't do > without the censuses even though my town has a great
                library. Of course, > there are some things I don't like.....but it
                really is convenient.

                I haven't posted here for a year or two but I am still around,

                I totally agree about the use of ancestry, there are things that I
                also do not like, just the same as I would not like them if it were a
                free site. Genealogy has never been free- we just pay for it
                differently. No more week or two week trips to find information,
                which were not cheap either.

                I figured it up recently, in just one day using the paid services of
                ancestry, I accessed 24 different census states and years. I used
                their Civil War records, CA birth records, SSDI, and World Connect
                countless times.

                I live at least 50 miles from the nearest small FHC, 90 miles to a
                larger one, 150 miles from any city with all state-all census years.
                I realize that most of you do not live this far from everything,
                but... some things are the same, such as:

                24 X 3.50 per film if it is still that $$ amount to order at the
                FHC's.

                100 miles round trip to order at $1.65 per gallon because they have
                to be paid for in advance.
                100 miles round trip back to the FHC to read them, or maybe two trips
                for that much microfim.

                3 microfilm for CW @ 3.50 per roll

                In one day's research, I have paid for my year's subscription, not to
                mention the time savings.

                So between Ancesty,the USGenWeb state and county sites and AHGP, it
                pretty well serves the purpose. Not to mention all of the other good
                websites that are out there.

                Betty
              • sparrowbird52
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13, 2003
                  When you look at it this way, Betty, it certainly isn't as hard to
                  take! Besides, like I said before, simply being able to access these
                  records from my own home and at my convenience, seems all worth it.

                  Best Wishes!

                  Debbie

                  --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, brbrooks99

                • wohalispirits@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 14, 2003
                    No, I don't have the book "The Source".....I didn't subscribe to the magazine
                    either.....I haven't heard any comments from anyone concerning either of
                    them.
                    Therefore, I prefer to get some input before investing anything else.

                  • Mark Lort
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19, 2006
                      Hello Every body
                      Here is An cestry .com Phone # 1-800-262-3787
                      7am -9pm m-f 8-5 sat
                      hop[e this will help

                      mark

                      Mark Rene Lort