Don't make this mistake

  • ridakm
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 8:49 AM
      Hi.... I feel so dumb right now and I hope none of you make this
      mistake. I took ancestry for 14 day free and at the end of it I
      couldn't find where to cancel it and I have been charged $80.00 for
      one year of it. I did email them and tell them I did not want it
      but they said that they couldn't stop it with an email. Well anyway
      I do feel so dumb because this is something I never do and did it
      just this once. Please don't take any offer that says it is a free
      trial or anything like that. Anyway it looks like I can't do
      anything about it now even though I really can't afford the $80.00
      sooooo if any one wants anything looked up on ancestry .com let me
      know so I can get my moneys worth. Better wait till I cool down a
      little tho I just got off the phone with them. Nasty call. Jan
    • Wayne Harrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 1:25 PM
        From: ridakm <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: 2003/03/01 Sat AM 11:49:45 EST
        To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [genchatfriends] Don't make this mistake

        What happened to you with the free offer and then you getting hooked for the full deal sounds like a SCAM. Saw a message some place about one going around and just scaned it and made mental note of it. Since I won't try any of the free offers that I might get to the signup page and the first thing they want if my credit card number of other numbers to show I can pay them or which they might use to bill me later. If it a free offer and it asks for credit information the figure it a SCAM. I'll check around and see where saw the message on the SCAM and pass it on, as since it think it came out through one of the 'other' groups may be able to find it. Also be carefull to watch your credit card bills as the person in message said they billed them twice for the same thing... Also recall they said they tried to cancel and they were never able to reach the site to cancel and by the time they got around to it were told it was to late to cancel now.

        Best way to get over on these people in this matter is to change your user ID and password to the site and then give that ID and password out to all your family so that not only you can use the site your entire family can. Since one person digging on a site never gets what they pay for; a family using it can possibly get their monies worth out of it. Also the more people looking the better chance you will find something that may help all of you. As each of you can select an area to check and family branch to work on thus giving you more extended use of your time into more areas. I've been working with my brother and several cousins and at $80 a year our family subscription comes to about $12 for the Ancestory.com and I have the remainder of my $80 to get a year subsciption to another sercice, such as a local Newspaper on line Archives which I share with them all thus saving actual cost. Since Ancestory.com is a family oriented service any memember of your family should be able to use your subscription to the service from any computer anywhere in the world at any time... Also most of the information provided to Ancestory.com and the other now pay for services came from people like us seaching for our family lines and then posting it to one of their sites so others could see it and possilbly get in touch to let us know we have a new cousin... Along the way the cousin and me gave them permission to use our information which they now clain and charge for.

        And the Websters definition of 'Family' that I'd apply to that is: Anyone in a group who share common interest with you.. Even those people you work with go to school drink with or members of the same society or club or church can be called your family...

        I'll do some digging and see if can find were that message was as thing it had a link to a site on the SCAM but not sure and didn't mark it for later.

        Wayne A Harrell
        Harrell Family House
        Looking for old Bones
        Virginia to Georgia
      • Wayne Harrell
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 1:30 PM
          From: Carol Brooks <sbrooks@...>
          Date: 2003/03/01 Sat PM 12:26:51 EST
          To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [genchatfriends] Don't make this mistake

          Carol,

          Please send the list to group as this sounds like the same message I saw on this SCAM... and dumped...... and now can't find where it came from.....

          Wayne A Harrell
          Harrell Family House
          Looking for old Bones
          Virginia to Georgia
        • Marie B. <rmbeck@bellsouth.net>
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1 3:02 PM
            Blacksheep Genealogy Society has a page that has a listing of Gen
            Scams.
            http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/shame/

            The one that I've seen the warnings on lately is Genseekers who were
            shut down once before several years back and kept coming back with
            new names
            genealogydevelopments.com
            familydiscovery.com

            were the two that I remember.

            Jan
            Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
            Don't feel dumb--there are others who have done the same thing though
            I believe you should be able to cancel or deny the charge after you
            have called Ancestry and told them that you do not want it.

            I've never used Ancestry's Free 14 day trial. However I think you
            will find that both Genealogy.com and Ancestry.com do require a
            credit card for billing info with any of the free trial subscriptions
            mainly I guess cause they believe in their product and think you will
            find it useful. As a subscriber the most helpful part to me at
            Ancestry is their Census Images ....few libraries would let me in at
            the time of the day I do my research so I am paying for the easy
            access which is fine with me. I am greatful that MyFamily Inc the
            parent company of Ancestry took ownership of Rootsweb(which is a free
            site) so that Rootsweb could stay afloat. Ancestry does have some
            free parts like some of the maps and how-tos as well as the
            Ancestry/Rootsweb message boards and Ancestry Family Tree(AFT). I do
            use Genealogy.com's GenForum boards some and my main Genealogy
            Program is FTM.
            --MarieB
          • jacki <Jcfamilytree@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2 7:47 AM
              yes, there r alot of scams on here. when i subscribe to trials i
              write in my schedule book 3 days before experation to cancel it if i
              dont want to keep it. i agree ancestry.com is great for some census
              records but in my search i have found it basically to be useless
              otherwise. when i first started it genealogy i was so frustrated
              that all the free sites threw me back to ancestry.com. the other
              program i see is totally worthless is genealogy detective..what a
              freeking waste of money....