new member

  • tracey.allison1
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2003
      hi my name is tracey and i have just joined the group,look forward to hearing from u all

    • glenda Chandler
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2003
        Welcome
        "tracey.allison1" <tracey.allison1@...> wrote:hi my name is tracey and i have just joined the group,look forward to hearing from u all

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Visit Mom's Library
        http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

        Glenda

      • MK Casteel
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
          Welcome Ann
          And congratulations on your retirement!
          I am a retired teacher (1997) in TN who has spent all my spare time finding my only child's ancestors and cousins.
          It's amazing what all I have learned and continue to learn everyday and almost all of it from the internet.
          This is an excellent group for help and answers to questions. I'll be happy to help you any way I can.
          You can see my line at this site:
          http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/s/Marjorie-Casteel/index.html?Welcome=1040131499
          Marge

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
            Marge, your website is great. Real proud of you.

            Welcome to this group, Ann. There is nearly always someone that might be
            able to put a hole in your brickwall. Jacque
          • starfish2251
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 27 6:30 PM
              Hi there, looking forward to learning all about genealogy research.
              Every link I have tried so far for info all require big bucks to
              access, even those who say they are free. the links always go back
              either ancestery.com or genealogy.com or similar. Is there really
              any
              free help out there for accessing u.s. census, immigrant info,
              cemetery records, birth, marriage and death records on line? thanks
            • Chris Cook
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 27 10:39 PM
                There is for some of the things you are requesting. Start with the State Archives, some of them are on line. Like Illinois has Marriages online. Rootsweb is a wealth of free information, for just about anything that you would want. Cindi's List is another one. You can just Google any of them and it will come up. Also, just try Googling all sorts of things from where your ancestors lived. From Famous places in the county, to township name, Cemetary + county name, and of course your ancestors names + county and state. You'd be surprised what different sites you find with just stating a search phrase in a different manner. HTH
                ^--^
                (>'o'<)
                (,,) (,,)

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 28 5:30 AM
                  You might want to try http://www.familysearch.org/

                  -John

                  --- starfish2251 <starfish2251@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there, looking forward to learning all about
                  > genealogy research.
                  > Every link I have tried so far for info all require
                  > big bucks to
                  > access, even those who say they are free. the links
                  > always go back
                  > either ancestery.com or genealogy.com or similar.
                  > Is there really
                  > any
                  > free help out there for accessing u.s. census,
                  > immigrant info,
                  > cemetery records, birth, marriage and death records
                  > on line? thanks

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Linda Warrick
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 28 6:22 PM
                    Thanks Chris. will try them. Notice you must be into my favorite hobby too. You don't by any chance live in canton, ohio do you? Linda

                    Chris Cook <scrapper@...> wrote:There is for some of the things you are requesting. Start with the State Archives, some of them are on line. Like Illinois has Marriages online. Rootsweb is a wealth of free information, for just about anything that you would want. Cindi's List is another one. You can just Google any of them and it will come up. Also, just try Googling all sorts of things from where your ancestors lived. From Famous places in the county, to township name, Cemetary + county name, and of course your ancestors names + county and state. You'd be surprised what different sites you find with just stating a search phrase in a different manner. HTH
                    ^--^
                    (>'o'<)
                    (,,) (,,)
                    Hi there, looking forward to learning all about genealogy research.
                    Every link I have tried so far for info all require big bucks to
                    access, even those who say they are free. the links always go back
                    either ancestery.com or genealogy.com or similar. Is there really
                    any
                    free help out there for accessing u.s. census, immigrant info,
                    cemetery records, birth, marriage and death records on line? thanks

                    Visit Mom's Library
                    http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

                    http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Linda Warrick
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 28 6:59 PM
                      thanks, John, will do. Linda

                      Aftiel <aftiel_2ooo@...> wrote:You might want to try http://www.familysearch.org/

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 28 8:12 PM
                        Hi Linda, nope, I sure don't!! I live in Illinois. My hobby is Scrapbooking, and I do love to research, so I think Genealogy was just a good place to research. LOL LOL LOL
                        ^--^
                        (>'o'<)
                        (,,) (,,)
                        Thanks Chris. will try them. Notice you must be into my favorite hobby too. You don't by any chance live in canton, ohio do you? Linda

                        Chris Cook <scrapper@...> wrote:There is for some of the things you are requesting. Start with the State Archives, some of them are on line. Like Illinois has Marriages online. Rootsweb is a wealth of free information, for just about anything that you would want. Cindi's List is another one. You can just Google any of them and it will come up. Also, just try Googling all sorts of things from where your ancestors lived. From Famous places in the county, to township name, Cemetary + county name, and of course your ancestors names + county and state. You'd be surprised what different sites you find with just stating a search phrase in a different manner. HTH
                        ^--^
                        (>'o'<)
                        (,,) (,,)

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
                          Hello all,

                          This group sounds like such a fun way to work on genealogy together.
                          Since I just joined, I wanted to introduce myself. I've been
                          interested in genealogy for about 7 years, and much of the last 3 years
                          I have spent on working on finding my Danish ancestors.

                          I look forward to learning more about genealogy, and just having a
                          place where other people share my interest.

                          Carol Richey
                        • denise collins
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
                            Welcome to the group!!
                            Denise, CA

                            kolbemom <kolbemom@...> wrote: Hello all,

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                              Welcome Carole

                              If you need any help in Mass or NE let me know and I'll try.

                              Jim

                            • Marge
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                                Welcome, Denise!
                                Post some of your lines. Who knows some of us may be your cousins!
                                At present I am researching these lines:
                                CASTEEL, GURLEY, TUBBS,
                                You can see most of my lines here:

                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                                  Welcome aboard, Carol, and happy hunting!

                                  ~april

                                  "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 13, 2008
                                    Thanks, Jim.

                                    Actually, I grew up in Nebraska and all of my immigrant ancestors
                                    settled there in Knox, Pierce, Wayne, and Stanton counties.

                                    Carol

                                    --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Jim <Bmntywlsh55@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Welcome Carole
                                    >
                                    > If you need any help in Mass or NE let me know and I'll try.
                                    >
                                    > Jim

                                  • Jim
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
                                      OK Carol
                                      I hope you can find them.? If you come across any uncles etc that were here I'll look!

                                      Happy Hunting!? Jim

                                    • Martha Menzel
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
                                        Do you have any Switzer/Swisher's in Wayne County?

                                        Martha

                                      • kolbemom
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 14, 2008
                                          Martha,

                                          Switzer/Swisher isn't familiar to me, but I see there are quite a few
                                          Switzers mentioned in the Nebraska compendium:
                                          http://www.rootsweb.com/~neresour/OLLibrary/Comp_NE/names/namendxs.htm

                                          If you'd like, email me at kolbemom@..., and we can discuss
                                          local resources.

                                          Carol

                                          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Martha Menzel
                                          <menzelgen@...> wrote:

                                          > Do you have any Switzer/Swisher's in Wayne County?
                                          >
                                          > Martha

                                        • dee.k124
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 6 7:39 AM
                                            My name is Dina and I am a History (US and African American Studies)major at Kean University in New Jersey...

                                            I am completely fascinated by the colonial period of our history and decided to start researching the family histories of African American slaves that played a major role in US history...

                                            I am currently working on a slave that was owned by George Washington and during the process have become addicted to genealogy...

                                            Any pointers/help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

                                            Thanks
                                          • annystokes
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 6 1:47 PM
                                              Welcome Dina! I look forward to hearing about what you find in your research. Who knows ... maybe you'll write a book about it someday???

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 6 7:28 PM
                                                William was GW's valet and was by his throughout the entire Revolutionary War.  My objective is to trace
                                                this familyto the present, in the hopes there will be oral history that I can learn from regarding William.
                                                William has never been given any credit for being one of GW's most trusted men throughout this turning point
                                                of our nation's history and I hope that in some way I will be able to do that.....

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 6 8:19 PM
                                                  Hi Dina and welcome to the group.  I had to lol when I read "you have become addicted to genealogy".  It happens to all of us ;)
                                                  One of my great finds is that Booker T. Washington and I share a grandmother.  What a handsome man he was and a great educator along with his 2nd wife.
                                                  You've got a big job ahead of you.  I hope you have a lot of patience!
                                                  Do you have a list of who you want to research?
                                                  Please let us know how your research is coming and if you run into a brick wall, there are many people here that can help.
                                                  Patty

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 6 8:56 PM
                                                    Wow ... that's so cool. I hope you are able to bring his history to the forefront. Wouldn't you love to sit and listen to his accounts of it all??? Wish you had a diary from him. Oral history will be the next best thing. Let us know when you find out more!

                                                    Ann

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 8 2:19 PM
                                                      Currently I am looking for any papers that relate to the Custis family along
                                                      with the members of George Washington's family that inherited Mount
                                                      Vernon after Martha's death....

                                                      My project is focused on 2 slave brothers that were purchased by
                                                      GW in the late 1760s, William "Billy" and Frank Lee.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 29 6:49 PM
                                                        pooh is a long time genealogy chatter and has done a lot
                                                        of research, with great difficulty at times
                                                        let's hope she will use this venue to seek help and help
                                                        others