suggestions needed!

  • Judi Hardin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2002
      According to the obituary of my gg-grandfather, he met and married his
      wife in St. Louis in 1869. I sent off a request to the Reference Branch
      of the Missouri State Archives, and just got a reply back that they
      searched St. Louis Marriages 1804-1876 by the St. Louis Genealogical
      Society and didn't find my gg-grandfather and his wife listed.

      So NOW what??? I've been suspecting that the family moved to Brunswick,
      MO ca. 1882, after most of my gggf's family had died in Indiana, where
      they'd been living, because my gggm had family there (not proven; just a
      working theory at this point). You don't suppose they actually got
      married in Brunswick? Or maybe at gggf's home in Indiana?

      Or maybe it's listed somewhere else? Maybe the St. Louis Genealogical
      Society didn't get everybody? So where would I check next?

      Mostly I'm trying to discover the names of my gggm's parents, who were
      born in Germany--well, what's now Germany. I have sent off for a copy
      of her death certificate, so hopefully their names will be on that, and
      perhaps I can get a copy of her obituary from the hometown newspaper
      once I get the exact date of her death (right now I only know the year).
      If I get the name of her parents, maybe I can find out when they
      immigrated and what other family members they immigrated with, and so
      find out if any of them settled in Brunswick. There were a bunch of
      Meyers living in Brunswick in the '80s and '90s, but I have no way of
      knowing if they're related to my gggm, without getting more information
      from, well, somewhere. If I got really lucky, some Brunswick kin
      outside of the nuclear family, a brother or sister maybe, might have
      survived her and been mentioned in the obituary.

      Anyhow, suggestions on where to look next would be much appreciated!
      --

      Judi Hardin | The misuse of language induces evil of the soul.
      msjh@... | Socrates
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2002
        Judi,
        You might want to look at where other folks from the same area were getting married. If you know siblings who lived in the same area then check where they were married also if you know folks off deeds and such other documents look to see where they were married. Also if you know of a minister in the family or church the family might have attended then check in that area. Since you don't know the parents then these are the other possible sites to look as have found that folks tended to go to a more populated area to get married when they had little or no family in the same area as them.