Re: [genchatfriends] coupla questions

  • Judi Hardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002
      Wayne Harrell wrote:

      > Judi,
      >
      > On buying the CDs, I'd suggest you saw your money and use it to make a visit to some of the places you see > most with your family line.

      Okay. That's pretty much what I expected, but I thought I'd ask just in
      case I was wrong.

      > As far as figuring out information it's hard sometimes to figure out if a document verifies your family line info or is just another person with that name living about the same time as you do. ..
      >
      > Even if the census lists all folks in it and you find your person in it then unless it also list there relation to head of house you have no way to know how they related to head of house or anyone else in that house. I've had seen census info of 1860 and 1870 run like this

      (headache-inducing example snipped)

      > Best thing to do with census info is file it as a note indicating by each person counted and who you feel they
      > were and why... until you can get enough solid sources to verify your assumption on it..

      Yeahbut--that's my question. If you're in that timezone where nobody
      much beyond the family and maybe the local church was keeping records,
      how do you figure it out? Is this a case where I take the money I saved
      by not buying CDs and go spend a week in the small town in question,
      going through the back issues of the local newspaper (which fortunately
      has been in continuous publication pretty much since 1830) hoping for an
      obituary or social notice?
      --

      Judi Hardin | The misuse of language induces evil of the soul.
      msjh@... | Socrates