RE: [genchatfriends] another question

  • Judi Hardin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2002
      Evelynne writes:

      > Judi, this may be an effort that proves all too futile. Most of the records
      > for the US Army, Air Force and a lot of records for Navy and Marines were
      > destroyed back in the late 70's in a fire that pretty well wiped out
      > everything. I too ninfo on my Dad's records and received only some
      > insurance papers and a copy of his death record. Even my husband's file was
      > destroyed and he fought in Vietnam.

      Well, I sent an e-mail to my aunt--his sister--yesterday. She might remember.
      I'd call *my* sister to see if she's the one who has his stuff, but if she
      doesn't, she'll get mad at me for having lost it, so I'm being cowardly and
      putting it off.

      I have some vague memories of having seen campaign ribbons of his--ages ago. I
      went through my mom's jewelry boxes last night, but didn't find them. I hope
      they're with the rest of his lost stuff--I remember thinking, "Save these, they
      go with his uniform."

      Wouldn't it be nice if we got the genealogy bug while we were young and knew to
      hang onto, organize, and preserve all this valuable stuff?

      I hope the Feds learned something from that fire--we have the technology now
      that they can have the paper records in one place, but there should be
      copies--microfilm, microfische, computer records--in at least two or three other
      places, in case of a disaster like the one in the 70s. They may not be vital
      to national security or anything, but they're vital to the happiness and
      well-being of the citizenry.

      Judi Hardin
      msjh@...

      The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates