Re: [genchatfriends] *sigh* (lengthy rant ahead)

  • v plumley
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25, 2002
      Hello Judy,
      I think there is 1 historian in every family, and the
      rest of the family thinks we need to start dealing
      with the living rather than the dead.
      Keep up the good work even if no one else in your
      family is interested right now, in time they all will
      show some kind of interest, even if it's just for a
      moment!

      May God Bless you in your search
      Ginny

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Judi Hardin
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25, 2002
        v plumley wrote:

        > Hello Judy,
        > I think there is 1 historian in every family, and the
        > rest of the family thinks we need to start dealing
        > with the living rather than the dead.
        > Keep up the good work even if no one else in your
        > family is interested right now, in time they all will
        > show some kind of interest, even if it's just for a
        > moment!
        >
        > May God Bless you in your search

        Thanks, Ginny. Yeah, I'll definitely keep at it, because it's fun,
        challenging, interesting, surprising--sometimes
        disappointing--ultimately rewarding. I just wish I had someone to share
        it all with--which is why I joined this group, actually--hoping to be
        able to share with some like-minded folks.
        --

        Judi Hardin | The misuse of language induces evil of the soul.
        msjh@... | Socrates
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 26, 2002
          Judy
          I know how you feel. I also collect paperdolls and get so excited
          when I find something new or interesting and noone to share it
          with who really cares except my list buddies.
          Same thing with geneology. I knock down a brick wall and
          everyone says that's nice.
          I've just found some info on a great aunt so I'm happy.
          We'll listen anytime.
          JaNelle

          - In genealogychatfriends@y..., Judi Hardin <msjh@w...> wrote:

          > v plumley wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Judy,
          > > I think there is 1 historian in every family, and the
          > > rest of the family thinks we need to start dealing
          > > with the living rather than the dead.
          > > Keep up the good work even if no one else in your
          > > family is interested right now, in time they all will
          > > show some kind of interest, even if it's just for a
          > > moment!
          > >
          > > May God Bless you in your search
          >
          > Thanks, Ginny. Yeah, I'll definitely keep at it, because it's fun,
          > challenging, interesting, surprising--sometimes
          > disappointing--ultimately rewarding. I just wish I had someone
          to share
          > it all with--which is why I joined this group, actually--hoping to
          be
          > able to share with some like-minded folks.
          > --
          >
          > Judi Hardin | The misuse of language induces evil of the soul.
          > msjh@w... | Socrates
        • L. Benedict
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 26, 2002
            Judi,

            You definitely joined the right group. We all get so excited when one of us
            has a success it like having a big family cheering you on.

            Linda

            > I think there is 1 historian in every family, and the
            > rest of the family thinks we need to start dealing
            > with the living rather than the dead.
            > Keep up the good work even if no one else in your
            > family is interested right now, in time they all will
            > show some kind of interest, even if it's just for a
            > moment!
            >
            > May God Bless you in your search

            Thanks, Ginny. Yeah, I'll definitely keep at it, because it's fun,
            challenging, interesting, surprising--sometimes
            disappointing--ultimately rewarding. I just wish I had someone to share
            it all with--which is why I joined this group, actually--hoping to be
            able to share with some like-minded folks.
            --

            Judi Hardin | The misuse of language induces evil of the soul.
            msjh@... | Socrates

          • dmb mbd
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2002
              Judy,
              Hi.My name is Debbie.I know what you are going through.I am next to the youngest of four.My two older siblings are half brother and sister.We have the same mom different dads.I am doing research on my dad's family.My brother could care less.He told me that my dad is the man that just supported him til he got grown.My older sister pats me on the head and says good going.They don't understand what this means to me.I am like you.I get excited when I find something.In my case,that is not to often!!!!...LOL.
              My youngest sister thinks that I should leave well enough alone.I have come across things that my parents didn't want me to know.I feel I have the right to know because I am part of the family!!! When I do find something,I share with my wonderful husband.He puts up with all the research,the hours on the puter,the traveling and the tears.He gets almost as excited as I do.
              You keep up the good work.I hope that you find all kinds of good nuggets and if you want to share them someone,email me!!!! I will delight in your finds!!!!
              Happy Hunting
              Debbie
              msjhwiu wrote:Anybody else ever feel like they're working in a vacuum?

              What I mean is, no one else in your family is interested in your
              research, so that you wind up button-holing complete
              strangers when you make a breakthrough or exciting find or just
              come across an interesting detail. It's very frustrating. I
              mention it because this last week I came across a bagful of old
              photos that I swear I've never seen before, though I must
              have had them sitting around for at least 20 years, and although
              none of them have any identification, a friend who has a
              good eye went through them with me and we were able to assign
              identities to quite a number of them. I was so excited! And
              still am. But I get an "Oh really? How nice" reaction from my
              family. I can't decide whether it makes me want to bang my
              head against a wall, or theirs!

              I mean, how can they *not* be interested?? These people, these
              relations, were pioneers! They fought in the Revolution
              and the Civil War. They fought Indians. They left their home
              countries to come to America when it was barely settled and
              the European powers were still wrangling over who the place
              belonged to. The women, God bless them, some of them had
              a child every 2 years, just like clockwork, 10 or 12 or 15 of
              them--and managed to keep them all fed and clothed in
              conditions that awe me. Just the bare facts, dates of birth
              and death, census information, are enough to make me think
              about them, invent stories for them, try to imagine what brought
              on a particular situation, how they felt. Okay, we didn't have
              any brilliant thinkers, or politicians, or artists, none of the
              men who served in war got beyond private, most of them were just
              plain farmers and just barely literate, but they were people and
              they're part of who I am; what they did affects who I am, even
              if it was 150 or 200 years ago.

              Maybe the difference between me and my sibs is that I'm the oldest,
              and I can remember one of my great-grandfathers and
              his wife. That gives me a personal link to someone who was born
              in 1864, so when you start talking about their parents,
              and their parents' parents, it's not that much of a stretch to
              personalize them, so they're more than just names on a page.
              Somehow it makes them closer.

              This is my first post here, and I hope I haven't overstepped bounds.
              But I just had to vent, and hope y'all understand.
              Thanks.

              Judi Hardin
              msjh@...

              The misuse of language induces evil of the soul. - Socrates

              Visit Mom's Library
              http://www.genealogychatfriends.org

            • thelma websterq

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2002
                  I have asked my family questions got no answers.. Then when I find out the
                  info they say oh yes & say I knew that. For their birthday's I have sent
                  the info I have at that time. I don't even think they can figure it out. I
                  guess I will have to write it out book form for them. On the bright side I
                  have one Uncle who has appreciated what I am doing.
                  Glenda

                • Judi Hardin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2002

                    > I have asked my family questions got no answers.. Then when I find out the
                    > info they say oh yes & say I knew that.

                    *thwap!*

                    For their birthday's I have sent
                    > the info I have at that time. I don't even think they can figure it out. I
                    > guess I will have to write it out book form for them. On the bright side I
                    > have one Uncle who has appreciated what I am doing.
                    > Glenda

                    {{{smooshyhugs}}} It IS frustrating. But Glenda, at least you have people to
                    ask. My parents and grandparents are dead, as is my father's brother. My
                    father's sister did give me a boost on that side of the family, but we're no
                    longer in touch (in fact, I'm about to write to one of her daughters to make
                    sure she's okay--she's in her 80s, and I know she was in and out of the hospital
                    a LOT last year), and my mother's sister, who could probably give me tons of
                    information if I could spend about a week with a tape-recorder with her is (a)
                    in California and (b) starting to show signs of Alzheimer's. I never met my
                    father's brother, and I don't know any of my cousins on that side of the family.
                    I've been trying to work up the courage to call one of my maternal cousins--we
                    knew each other fairly well at one point when I was 6 or 7 and he was several
                    years older, but geez, that's a long time ago.

                    So keep after your family. Buttonhole them with a notebook whenever possible.
                    And pump your uncle for all the memories of his family you can! Those family
                    stories are really important.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 11, 2002
                      I don't live near my family so it isn't easy to get info from them. I call
                      & ask something then after I hang up I think of something else I should have
                      asked

                      Glenda
                      > I have asked my family questions got no answers.. Then when I find out
                      the
                      > info they say oh yes & say I knew that.

                      *thwap!*

                      For their birthday's I have sent
                      > the info I have at that time. I don't even think they can figure it out.
                      > guess I will have to write it out book form for them. On the bright side
                      > have one Uncle who has appreciated what I am doing.
                      > Glenda

                      {{{smooshyhugs}}} It IS frustrating. But Glenda, at least you have people
                      ask. My parents and grandparents are dead, as is my father's brother. My
                      father's sister did give me a boost on that side of the family, but we're no
                      longer in touch (in fact, I'm about to write to one of her daughters to make
                      sure she's okay--she's in her 80s, and I know she was in and out of the
                      hospital
                      a LOT last year), and my mother's sister, who could probably give me tons of
                      information if I could spend about a week with a tape-recorder with her is
                      (a)
                      in California and (b) starting to show signs of Alzheimer's. I never met my
                      father's brother, and I don't know any of my cousins on that side of the
                      family.
                      I've been trying to work up the courage to call one of my maternal
                      cousins--we
                      knew each other fairly well at one point when I was 6 or 7 and he was
                      several
                      years older, but geez, that's a long time ago.

                      So keep after your family. Buttonhole them with a notebook whenever
                      possible.
                      And pump your uncle for all the memories of his family you can! Those
                      family
                      stories are really important.

                      Judi Hardin
                      msjh@...

                      The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      http://www.genealogychatfriends.org