Help to solve mystery

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2014
      Hi everyone,

      I am looking for help from someone who has full access to Ancestry.com.  Maybe some census records I can't get to would help untangle our mystery.  Thank you ahead of time.

      My husband's paternal family are Stokes from Darlington, South Carolina.  His maternal grandmother is a Watford (sometimes spelled Wadford, but Watford is the correct spelling).

      Someone has contacted me saying a Stokes relative had an affair with a Watford sister-in-law while his wife was pregnant.  The sister-in-law was staying with them to help her pregnant sister.  Then the feuding fallout goes from there.  We are not sure if the person who is providing this info is a legitimate relative or a scammer.  Having trouble verifying a few facts.  That's where we would like your help!  Thanks ahead of time.

      Ann Y Stokes (was known on this list as Anny)

      Looking for facts on the Watford ancestors:

      1st  Jarrett Watford, Jr or Sr  (sometimes Jarrot, Jarret, Garrett) m. Mary Ann Windham

      2nd John W Watford was 7th son and had at least 3 wives:

             1st wife:  Viney Freeman - 3 children: Harry Watford (b 1866), Caleb Hugh (1867), John Henry (1869)

             2nd wife: Frances Truett - 12 children: Minnie Anna (b 1877 m Henry T Stokes - my husband's grandparents); George Bealer ((1879); Solomon Moses (1879); AGNES MARIE (abt 1881 m Spires); Paul F (abt 1883); Margaret (abt 1885); William Pressley (1886); Mack Cleveland (abt 1888); Dudley Durant (1891); Leveen Hartwell Sr ( 1893); Seaborn (abt 1894); Mary ( 1895)

              3rd wife: Malissa Ham - one child Homer (abt 1903)

      Here's who we are looking for:  a child of John W Watford named LILA AGNES (EMMA) WATFORD  (according to the allegations, her father would've been a Stokes).  While unmarried had a daughter - Emma Watford.  Lila allegedly died in childbirth.

      John W Watford and third wife, Malissa Ham raised baby Emma maybe as a daughter (?).  At some point, she went to live with her uncle, Solomon Moses & wife.  Emma reportedly was treated like a slave by grandparents and uncle.  Her birth father never acknowledged her presumably to preserve his family name.  Emma married an Edwards, but not sure on that. There is more to the scandal, but that's enough for now.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2014
        MAJOR CORRECTION!  I had the name of our "hunted" wrong.

        We are looking for info on: AGNES WATFORD/WADFORD (b 1883-1886 in Philadelphia Township, Darlington County, SC).  allegedly died in childbirth in 1905.

        And her daughter named LILA AGNES  (EMMA) WATFORD/WADFORD, b. Dec 23, 1905 (I think died in 1995), married an C B Edwards.

        On Monday, August 4, 2014, Ann Y Stokes <annystokes@...> wrote:
[...]

        (Correcting this paragraph) Here's who we are looking for:  a child of John W Watford named AGNES WATFORD (allegedly died in childbirth in 1905), and her daughter, LILA AGNES (EMMA) WATFORD, (according to the allegations, her father would've been a Stokes).

        John W Watford and third wife, Malissa Ham raised baby Emma maybe as a daughter (?).  At some point, she went to live with her uncle, Solomon Moses & wife, who on censuses claim her as a niece and later as daughter.  Emma reportedly was treated like a slave by grandparents and uncle.  Her birth father never acknowledged her, presumably to preserve his family name.  Emma married C B Edwards, but not sure on that. There is more to the scandal, but that's enough for now.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2014
          Angel, do you have the time or ability to look for Agnes Watford and her alleged daughter, Lila Agnes (Emma) Watford - who married a C. B Edwards)?  I'd be most appreciative if you do,.

          Anny

          On Monday, August 4, 2014, angel curry texasroseangelcurry@... [genealogychatfriends] <genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          i have access

          On 8/4/2014 3:00 PM, Ann Y Stokes annystokes@... [genealogychatfriends] wrote:

[...]

        • angel curry

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 17, 2014
              Clannie Braggle Edwards is married to Agnes Watford according to his death certificate and according to census records she is always called Emma not Agnes do you need birth and death dates for Clannie and his wife Emma Agnes Watford?
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 17, 2014
                Thank you.

                I have their info.  Just can't for sure find and track Emma's mom (or dad).  I can't find a birth certificate - do you see one for Emma?  Does it list her mom and dad's names???

                Thanks,
                Anny

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 17, 2014
                  i tried to find a birth certificate or a marriage record for her that might list a parents name, but I can't find anything except Claney's death certificate and her Social Security Death Index. Can't find her death certificate, and can't find her marriage. all the public tree's are showing her as the daughter of Malissa and John, but I'm not buying that story. I'll dig a little bit more and see if I can find anything I might have missed
                • verna_lynn2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 18, 2014
                    no death's at ancestry.com with the watford/wadford name or soundex in all of south carolina. durring a timespan of  two years before or after the birth of emma.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 18, 2014
                      I agree, Malissa and John aren't parents, but grandfather & step-grandmother.  Based on the year of Emma's birth, she would have to be the daughter of one of John & Frances Truett Watford's daughters.  From what I can tell, Minnie Anna Watford Stokes must've been pregnant with her daughter, Essie, when this alleged affair took place between her husband, Henry, and one of her younger sisters.

                      His son, Solomon claimed her as niece in one census and then daughter the next.  And once as a sister.  Totally confusing.

                      I am going to sendyou the letter sent to the great granddaughter of Emma, Charlie, who sent the inquiry to me via Ancestry.com.  This was the first we'd heard of any of this.  But it is sure hard to verify thee things.  Tell me what you think of the letter and cooy of a will.

                      Charlie is goingto contact the Bonnie who sent her mother the letter and see what else she can find out.

                      Thanks,
                      Ann