Re: DNA tests

  • Joy Weaver
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      DNA tests for genealogy purposes can only link you to a line of people
      descended from the same person, not to a specific individual. The match
      could go back 10 generations and involve hundreds of cousins.

      The kind of DNA test you are thinking of is a paternity test and that
      won't help you either because you need to have a sample from the person
      you think might be the father. Without a specific man to compare your
      husband's DNA to, it can't be done.

      Joy Weaver

      ------------------------
      "We are traveling in the footsteps of those who've gone before..."
    • Judy Grundy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        I am far from being an expert at DNA testing but I can help a little. You need to read about the types of testing that is available and what they can do. The two most well known testing companies are 23andMe, and FamilyTree DNA. Go to their websites and read what they offer and how much it costs. FamilyTree DNA has lowered its basic YDNA test to $49 which is not bad.
        Ancestry does what is called Family Finder testing. It is $99. It is a test that looks at DNA from both your father and mother. They match your results against people who have family trees on Ancestry and then notify you who they are. It is always up to you to make contact or not.
        One of the best website to learn about DNA testing especially Y testing for adopted children is www:dna-testing-adviser.com. The man who created and runs this site is adopted and found his birth father.
        Recently there has been more and more stories of adoptees finding that biological families. It can be done. Search the web for other sites that talk about the adopted child finding his/her biological parent/parents. Facebook even has adoption sites.
        I have had DNA testing done. I did the family finder test and mitochondrial test done on Family Tree DNA. I also had my husband's Y DNA test done. My male cousin on my   paternal side did the Y test for me. We had a name but that was all. My cousin's test results  gave us matches and we have been able to fill in many blanks.
        Personally if I was your daughter, I would have the basic Y DNA test done through either 23andMe or Family Tree DNA. Do you belong to a genealogy society in your town? Someone who has done the testing could help you read the results and make out a game plan on where to go next or what to do. It won't be easy and takes hard work but it can be done.
        Hope I have helped
        Judy

        Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

        te

        my daughter wants to submit a DNA test to see if she can find an unknown father for her husband
        the places I gave her phone numbers to indicate they only provide the bar coding, and not related to any other known person
        I thought that connection to someone in the past was available through the DNA, was I wrong or are there other sources than what I found in searching?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
          Would an individual match be made if for omeother reason, the other
          person's DNA is on file, e.g. military records, criminal records, etc?

          On Tuesday, June 25, 2013, Joy Weaver wrote:

          > **
          >

          > DNA tests for genealogy purposes can only link you to a line of people
          > descended from the same person, not to a specific individual. The match
          > could go back 10 generations and involve hundreds of cousins.
          >
          > The kind of DNA test you are thinking of is a paternity test and that
          > won't help you either because you need to have a sample from the person
          > you think might be the father. Without a specific man to compare your
          > husband's DNA to, it can't be done.
          >
          > Joy Weaver

        • H. Marie L
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
            thanks for all the responses
            this man is in his 70's and for most of his life he only knew the man who raised him as his father with doubts in his mind for many, many years
            He has been told that his father was probably Irish and has inklings of an event in Pittsburg, Calif. that was the only lead he had to the possible identification of his bio father. He was born out of wed lock and in 1936 this was not 'the' thing for young ladies especially a deep rooted Catholic family.