RE: [genchatfriends] Fantastic Week!!

  • Windy Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
      Hi,

      Reading these stories and enjoying them prompted me to post mine.

      Mine can be enjoyed by anyone not just genealogist, because it is more about family than family trees.

      When I was 20 I married and we had a child (a boy), we ended up separating about a year later and he was very bitter. We lost complete contact, but some years later he rejoined his own family and told them how much he regretted losing contact with us. Now this was between 1962 and 191967. There were no personal computers and no information highway like today. He did tell his own family how much he would like to find us. So now we skip to August 2010, my stepson told me about his great TV program, “Who do you think you are” and I recorded it and set down to watch. I always watch TV in front of my computer. So I pulled up Ancestry.com and was absolutely HOOKED, (I see you smiling out there).

      So I started working on 2 trees, one for my birth son and one for my step son, as they covered both my tree and my husbands. I looked and found out my ex-husband had died in 1998 but found his parents and occasionally I worked his line. Jump to the first week of September and I get an email saying I have a message on ancestry.com and I go to it and it is my sons youngest aunt and that whole family had been looking for him and me all this time.

      Because my ex-husband was estranged from his family at the time we married I knew only what I had found in my genealogy searches. My son has a brother, a niece, a nephew, 4 living aunts and uncles, and more kin folks than I grew up with. We have met on facebook and as soon as we can get to California or Hawaii of they can get here we will all met. My son has always wanted a brother and genealogy has helped me give him one.

      Well there goes the hair on my arm and the smile on my face just thinking about it.

      This is not the only connection or reconnection I have made in my search but by far the most important and heartwarming.

      Windy

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
        Congrats to you. So glad you found these cousins and hope you get to meet
        them in person.