RE: [genchatfriends] Fantastc Week!!

  • Lucie Pepin
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2012
      Thats great !

      I've had a similar story about finding sibblings/cousins too recently on my father's side. I received a message from this girl on Ancestry saying her husband was the gr8-grandson of my grand-father's sister ! I have been in in contact with most of her family/sibblings but more so with her aunt (Michelle) with who my grandfather and her grandmother were sisters !!!!! we've been talking every single day since oh the month of may i think and even flew out to California to meet them... and i have helped them alot wiht their own family tree on their side of the family. I've also found for them their grand-mother's daughter (Andr�e) and with that too she had 2 other brothers they didn't know about. I have met Andr�e this last week and she had sooo many pictures of Michelle's aunts, grandparents and even of her father !

      So Michelle is my 2nd cousin and Andr�e my first cousin (once removed). Wish I could meet family members on my mom's side too.

      I love hearing stories like this.... happy you got in contact with your relatives.

      Lucie

      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      From: rongadz59@...
      Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 02:03:21 +0000
      Subject: [genchatfriends] Fantastc Week!!

      I bursting with excitement that only a another genealogist can relate too. What a wonderful week this has been for me! Let me share my story.

      I have so much family history on my mother's side of the family but so little family history on my dad's side since my paternal grandparents both immigrated from Poland and there is so little know about my Polish ancestry.

      Several months ago I did a goggle search for my surname--Gadzalinski--and came up with four people with that name who live in Poland. But when I tried to send one of them an email, it couldn't be delivered for some reason. This frustrated me as I was certain that Slawomir Gadzalinski, b. 1960, had to be related somehow.

      For some reason I decided to do a search for "Gadzalinski" on Facebook and would you believe it....there was a page for Slaowomir Gadzalinski, b. 16 Apr 1960 in Dzialosyn, Lodzkie, Poland now living in Gdansk, Poland. I promptly sent him a brief message saying I think could be related. He replied that he also thinks we could be related.

      Next, I told him who my father, grandfather and great-grandfather were (that's as far back as I have in my Gadzalinski records). Slawomir wrote back telling me who his father, grandfather and great-grandfather were.

      The next email from Slawomir stated "WE ARE COUSINS!!!" He was as excited as I was! It turns out his great-grandfather was Jozefat Gadzalinski and his great-grandmother was Tekla. My great-grandfather was Walenty Gadzalinski and my great-grandmother was Tekla. He told me Jozefat's full name was Jozefat Walenty Gadzalinski. Yes...we did indeed have the same great-grandparents!!

      Then Slawomir told him his grandfather was Roman Gadzalinski (b. 6 Feb 1899), who was the brother of Zdzislaw, Wldayslaw and Czeslaw. My grandfather was Czeslaw Gadzalinski and I was always told he had two sisters and one brother (Wladyslaw). Now I have learned of two more younger brothers of my grandfather that I didn't know existed!! I was amazed and elated!!

      I learned that Zdzislaw (b. 1894) had one son; Jerzy (George) Gadzalinski. Jerzy would have been my dad's first cousin--and my dad's name was George also!

      Next, Slawomir told me his grandparents, Roman and Marianna, had three children: Irena (b. 1927), Halina (b. 1929) and Jan (his father; b. 1936). Three more cousins of my dad and his siblings! My dad had a baby sister named Irene that died in Jan. 1925 at 13 months. Irena in Poland was named for her. Irena died in 1984 at age 57 (never married). Halina married twice and has a son and a daughter and 4 grandchildren. Jan married Lucyna (b. 1937) in 1959. Slawomir, their only chid, was born at year later. Jan Gadzalinski died in 1996 at age 60. (My dad died in 1988 at age 57). Slawomir and I (a year apart in age) are second cousins. Slawomir is a financial advisor, married to his second wife Jolanta, and has two sons (one from his marriage).

      Now Slawomir and I are sharing photos, more dates and details, and also historical documents. We are also talking about meeting in person. I would LOVE to make arrangements to visit Poland in June 2013 because that will be the 100th anniversary of when my grandfather Czeslaw arrived in the United States at Ellis Island.

      I'm waiting for another email from Slawomir with more dates and details and then on Sept. 28th (my day off), I will share this exciting news of the Gadzalinski family of Poland to my siblings and my first cousins!!

      Now if I can make a breakthrough like this someday with my paternal grandmother's family in Poland (she had three brothers and two sisters), I would be ecstatic!

      With best regards,
      Ron Gadzalinski
      Tampa, FL

    • Joy Weaver
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
        Ron, this is so exciting! May you and your new-found family share many
        happy moments.

        Joy Weaver
        (with Polish roots, though Jewish, I know how hard it can be to get
        information and make contacts)

        "We are traveling in the footsteps of those who've gone before..."
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
          About four years ago I had the great good fortune of being contacted (through Ancestry.com) by my second cousin, once removed on my father's side of the family.  Jane has been able to fill-in some of the gaps in my tree on that side, since we'd been cut-off for just over 100 years from that side of the family.  As it turns out her grandfather is the uncle of my paternal grandfather, both men bearing the same name!

          Now, what are the odds of that?  LOL

          ~april

          "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

          ________________________________
          That would make you second cousins if your common ancestors are your gr8 grandparents. But hey.. doesn't matter... I recently met my 2nd cousin and i call her a cousin :)

          http://www.islandregister.com/cousin.html

          Here's a family chart

          Lucie :)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
            That's totally wicked April :) It is such a great joy to connect with long lost family memmbers :)

            Funny thing about me is that I was actually in Paso Robles in aug. 2004 and visited 2 wineries there and it just so happens that this is where my 2nd cousin lives !!! barely a 20 min drive from her place .... I would not have been surprised if I havent crossed path with her back then LOL

            Lucie :)

            To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
              Hi,

              Reading these stories and enjoying them prompted me to post mine.

              Mine can be enjoyed by anyone not just genealogist, because it is more about family than family trees.

              When I was 20 I married and we had a child (a boy), we ended up separating about a year later and he was very bitter. We lost complete contact, but some years later he rejoined his own family and told them how much he regretted losing contact with us. Now this was between 1962 and 191967. There were no personal computers and no information highway like today. He did tell his own family how much he would like to find us. So now we skip to August 2010, my stepson told me about his great TV program, “Who do you think you are” and I recorded it and set down to watch. I always watch TV in front of my computer. So I pulled up Ancestry.com and was absolutely HOOKED, (I see you smiling out there).

              So I started working on 2 trees, one for my birth son and one for my step son, as they covered both my tree and my husbands. I looked and found out my ex-husband had died in 1998 but found his parents and occasionally I worked his line. Jump to the first week of September and I get an email saying I have a message on ancestry.com and I go to it and it is my sons youngest aunt and that whole family had been looking for him and me all this time.

              Because my ex-husband was estranged from his family at the time we married I knew only what I had found in my genealogy searches. My son has a brother, a niece, a nephew, 4 living aunts and uncles, and more kin folks than I grew up with. We have met on facebook and as soon as we can get to California or Hawaii of they can get here we will all met. My son has always wanted a brother and genealogy has helped me give him one.

              Well there goes the hair on my arm and the smile on my face just thinking about it.

              This is not the only connection or reconnection I have made in my search but by far the most important and heartwarming.

              Windy

            • Jthrly@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
                Congrats to you. So glad you found these cousins and hope you get to meet
                them in person.