Re: [genchatfriends] Do genealogy? Really?

  • Judy Grundy
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 10, 2012
      I thought this was so good that I forwarded it on to friends, family, and my local genealogy group.
      Mark did a great job putting into words why people do genealogy.
      Judy

      Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 18, 2012
        I had a similar situation with finding my paternal grandmother. You
        would think that finding her would be easy. I looked under her maiden
        name and her married name but nothing. I posted a question to one of the
        genealogy yahoo groups and it turns out after my grandfather passed
        away, she actually married someone else and was listed under that name.
        I was so thankful that I finally found her. I don't know if my father
        ever knew she had remarried or not. My grandmother passed away in the
        the 1960's and my dad passed away in 2003. Our ancestors sure know how
        to make finding them a little challenging for us. lol I hope that you do
        find your mother-in-law. At least your mother-in-law is alive and there
        is hope that you can find her.
        Think of some of her friends, neighbors, bosses, place of worship, or
        co-workers that she knows or has known. Sometimes you have to think
        creatively and think outside the box instead of just looking up her last
        name in he genealogy websites.
        If you're looking up your mother-in-law's parents and they are both
        deceased, the Social Security-Freedom of Information Act might help you.
        I found a lot of information using their website. I heard that it's
        changed and you can't do that anymore. I'm not sure if that's true or
        not. Does anyone from this group know about that? Here's the website
        for it. Go to the middle of the page where it says Now Online in Red and
        Purple - Make Your Request Online -
        http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm
        Website for application.
        https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWeb/internet/main.jsp Don't get
        the computer extract of social security card application. I did once and
        it was a waste of my money. The photocopy of the original application
        for a social security card has more information on it.
        Request for Deceased Individual's Social Security Record -
        https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWeb/internet/main.jsp?action=SSA711\
        _Instruction
        Judy
        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, Jackie Martin Andrews
        <jackieandrewstx@...> wrote:>> > > Hello fellow Family Historians!> > I
        am stumped, very stumped.> > My estranged mother in law (living) has
        left no trail of her parents history.> > We've spent hours upon days
        looking for information on this woman's Mom and can only find a death
        certificate. Same thing for the my mother in law's father.> Their
        married name was "Smith".> > Does anyone want to shed some light on the
        "smith" story. Is there a big mystery concerning the many Smith Famlies
        in the world?> > I think my mother in law has hidden information from
        being viewed on ancestry.com. There isn't anything we can do to
        persuade her to share.> > We know my mother in law is a college
        graduate> and we DO know her mother's married name, "Smith". > WE know
        that Miss Smith was born in either Penn. or NY. > We know that she
        married later in life.> > How can I uncover more of this mystery> >
        THanks,> Jackie> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been
        removed]>