Looking for the father of Abel K Boatwright

  • lmhill0216
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
      Abel was born in 1847 -- I think in Mississippi. He married Julia Denley and his mother's name was Hester Cannon. Any help is appreciated!
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2012
        You probably already have these,
        but I like to see all of the picture
        when looking for a missing puzzle-piece -

        1880 Calhoun County, Mississippi (all born MS:MS:MS)
        Boatwright, Abel K/33, Julia/23, George/2

        NOTE: Choctaw County is the second county south of Calhoun County
        (Webster County in between) in northern central Mississippi -
        http://www.msgw.org/ct-map.htm

        1870 Township 20 Range 9, Choctaw, Mississippi
        (in the household of Lavicy Edwards/56)
        Boatright, Abel K/25

        1860 Township 21 (P.O. Belfontain), Choctaw, Mississippi
        Boatwright, Hester A/42:TN, Lorenzo D/26:AL, Francis A/21:AL,
        (), Charles/20:AL, James M/15:AL, Abel/10:MS
        Girtruda Dumas/14 * {same surname as neighbor]

        1870 Township 21 Range 10, Choctaw, Mississippi
        Boatwright, Hester A/50, James M/23
        Cannon, Susan/22, Anderson B/19

        1850 Subdivision 23, Choctaw, Mississippi [indexed as BADTRIGH]
        Boatright, Hesteran/35:TN, Loranza/14:AL, Jane/12:AL,
        (), Francis/11:AL/female, Charles/9:AL, James/5:AL

        Looks like Abel might have CLAIMED to be born 1847,
        but his 1860 age and non-presence in 1850 may mean that
        he really wasn't born until after the 1850 census.
        Which means that MISTER Boatright must have been around somewhere.
        (No - I retract that - a widow could have a child and then
        later claim that the child was the offspring of her late husband.)

        I found a marriage record for Abel & Julia (1872),
        but I presume that you already have it.

        I find land records for a Hester A Boatright in 1881
        in Choctaw County Mississippi (39.94 acres) - also find
        1880 Sumner, Mississippi
        Boatright, Hester L/70:TN, James M/32:AL

        1840 - on a "fishing expedition" in ALABAMA -
        there are 4 hits on surname BOAT*RI*T
        (this may be too restrictive for possible name manglements).
        Looking for >1 male adult, >1 female adult, >3 children under age 5.
        Only one has three (or more) children under the age of 5;
        and, in fact, the only one to have a female under age 5 -

        1840 Conecuh, Alabama
        James Boatright - 3....1.......-1....1.......
        3 males age<5, 1 female age<5, 2 adults age 30-39

        NOTE: adjacent to the census-line for David CANNON
        David Cannon - 1....1.......-13..1........
        (younger wife, 3 young girls, only 1 young boy)

        A possible connection here - BOATRIGHT and CANNON ?

        Hmm - an Ancestry.com Public Member Tree has a
        Hester Cannon (b.1813 TN, who married a Mr. Boatwright)
        with a brother David Cannon born 1804 in SC -
        http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/30808446/person/12311255355?ssrc=

        I did not do a comprehensive search, but I did find a
        DAVID CANNON born circa 1804 SC in the 1850 census,
        and it does fit the age-pattern of the 1840 census (above) -
        1850 Monroe, Alabama
        Cannon, David/46, Leah/37, Annie E/15, Loreto/14, Mary/13,
        (_), Lander/10, Corel/8, Susan/6, Martha/4, Anderson/1

        Only circumstantial evidence, but maybe something to check out?

        - Tom Knox