Using Mendeley &tc. for Genealogy Research

  • mark_f_rabideau
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2012
      As I mentioned in an earlier post (http://www.many-roads.com/2012/01/29/data-gathering-tools-new-to-me/), recently I came across a VERY promising research tool to assist in gathering, sorting, and sharing research source materials. That tool is called Mendeley- http://www.mendeley.com/features/. It enhances, compliments, and can even replace tools like Zotero. It, also, links interactively with desktop word processing tools like LibreOffice/OpenOffice and perhaps even M$Office (although I don't own a copy of that to test). Mendeley, also, allows me to share its content across multiple platforms including my Linux Laptops, my iPad and, according to the provider, Mac and Windows. Finally, the tool itself tracks, inventories and gathers information from within Firefox and similar web browsers or directly from my Desktop, if I happen to have my information there.

      Oh, and before I forget... did I mention the tool allows for socializing selected information and publications (individually or through Groups of Common Interest). Oh yes, and basic Mendeley usage is Free.

      Two quick additional items:

      1. If you are performing genealogy research and want to join in sharing resources and source materials with me, please join Mendeley and my Genealogy Researchers Group (Note: this group requires a Mendeley Account to View: http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1807351/genealogy-researchers/papers/).
      2. If you are interested in following some of my exploits in using the Mendeley Toolsuite you can my publicly available 'research' (meaning you don't need to use Mendeley to see these here: http://www.many-roads.com/2012/02/01/prussian-mennonite-research-materials/

      I will share more details as I learn more. Please feel free to pass this message to others you feel might benefit.

      atb
      ...mark