Re: [genchatfriends] April

  • Lori Hilty
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2011
      April, I'm sorry to hear about your parents. My dad is gone as well. I also
      scrapbook and have a heritage album started. I was just wondering if anyone
      knows or can give me a few ideas on where I might find more personal info on
      my ancestors. Most of my family is gone and the few that are left don't
      remember anything. I found one book on the history of Indiana Co (PA) that
      mentioned that my great great grandmother was a seamstress. And her son was
      a Teamster, not sure what he actually did for them. I know from my mom that
      he worked in sawmills and he was always making stuff out of wood.
      Thanks for any ideas/tips you can share.
      Lori

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2011
        Lori,

        The summer of 2010, my hubby and I took a "road trip".  He had to be in PA for his last in-house week of schooling at the Antiochian Village.  He planned the trek to include a day in Kansas City, KS where my great-grandparents lived.  The task --- to learn what killed Arthur at such a young age.  (He was all of 43.)  We searched the main library and came up empty.  However, the on-staff geneaologist was on hand and she suggested we head over to the Argentine Historian Society Museum.  The cemetary where my great-grandparents were allegedly interned was a mile-square in size, and we only had this one day to search.  The Genealogist was doubtful the graves could be found, after all these years with no one around to care for them.  Besides, she couldn't find them listed in the book for said cemetary.

        Her hint was very useful.  We found a death notice in the local weekly publication, that not only verified the date of his death, but told where and what time he died.  (In his home at 7:00 p.m.)  A gentleman named Monte was at the museum and since he's made it his area of study, he was able to supply information that there were no hospitals in the area at that time.  Accidents in the railyards were commonplace --- to the point they stopped reporting them in the papers.  Arthur would have been treated and taken home.  While I still haven't verified the story he'd been killed on the job, I did learn that he would be sorely missed by their many friends.  This is far more than I may have learned had I found his grave.  Arthur and his wife, apparently, were sociable and well-liked.  That speaks volumes.

        Perhaps, you might find something like this, or even a letter, diary or other such personal papers to help you round out their personalities.  Much luck on your journey!