Can someone help me find my family history?

  • matthewdenny70
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2011
      Hi My name is Matthew Denny, I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada)I really want to know where my family is from, my dads name is Robert and my grandfathers name is Paul, My great grandfathers name is Harris, I know he lived in Ogdensburg New York but im not sure for how long or anything before that... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • Verna Lynn
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
        Matthew.....
        do you have any more information?
        without knowing birth dates/places and death dates/place and places of possible residences for each and spouse names, finding them would be difficult and confirming that the found person was the same person we needed to find would be even more difficult. Have you tried entering everything you know into ancestry.com? finding people and building your family tree is usually fairly easy there, but to do it you need to enter dates, places, and spouse names. death dates are particulaly helpful because often a death record or obituary can be found on someone and family members are often mentioned in them. Marriage records likewise sometimes offer clues as to parrents names. the more information you have the more chance to find your answers. ask other relatives, get as much inforation as you can, and I bet you can find enough information to begin your search.

        at Ancestry.com, I did find a Harry St.Denny in ogdensburg, but he seemed a bit young to be the person you are likely looking for and the last name was St Denny instead of Denny, but with more information it would be easier to tell if this was the person you are looking for. spouse names are very important, it helps to properly identify possible matches on census records and find additional information on marriage records.

        the best way to begin is to start with yourself and your parrents, log everything you know about them and then do the same for their parrents. do some searches at places like familySearch.org, rootsweb.com and ancestry.com (many libraries have free versions of ancestry.com that they offer to their patrons) and you should be able to find clues like census records to help you find more inforation such as parrents they were living with and siblings and aprox dates of birth of people in the house. use that information to build your tree and search again. Genealogy is a puzzle you have to assemble it piece by piece. sometimes you have to look for siblings of your ancestors to find a missing clue to your next ancestor, so don't underestimate the need to keep track of your ancestors' siblings and thier families.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2011
          --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "matthewdenny70" <matthewdenny70@...> wrote:

          > Hi My name is Matthew Denny, I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada)I really want to know where my family is from, my dads name is Robert and my grandfathers name is Paul, My great grandfathers name is Harris, I know he lived in Ogdensburg New York but im not sure for how long or anything before that... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

          Im not sure,I know he was a lamplighter though, and his son (my grandfather) his name is paul, I know he had a couple other kids but I cant remember their names right now.
        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20, 2011
            > Matthew DENNY, son of Robert DENNY,
            > son of Paul DENNY, son of Harris DENNY (of Ogdensburg, NY)

            Inventory of Ogdensburgh Cemetery (C-D)
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~stlawgen/CEMETERY/Ogdensburgh/Ogdensburghcd.HTM
            Denny (See also: Harper, Robinson)
            Theodore B. Denny, US Army World War II; 1915 - 1983
            William J. Denny, 1877-1927 (Section 18)
            Lavina Watier, his wife, 1880-1952 (Section 18)
            Carl S. Denny, PFC US Army World War II; 1921 - 1999
            Olive G., 1918 -
            Albert A. Denny, April 24, 1881 - April 14, 1957 (Section 101)
            Mina Norval, his wife, June 3, 1897 - Sept 18, 1985 (Section 101)
            Robert N. Denny, 1919-1947 (Section 101)
            Irene, 1919-2000 (Section 101)
            Howard W. Denny, Jan 29, 1900 - Sept 23, 1962 (Section 102)
            Florence, June 20, 1903 - March 30, 1962(Section 102)
            Garfield F. Denny, BM1 US Navy; July 21, 1942 - March 13, 1989
            Gregory Ogden Denny, SN US Navy Vietnam; June 1, 1947 - May 23, 2003
            Patricia, June 7, 1950- (Section 108)
            Howard W. Denny, Sgt US Army World War II; July 10, 1921 - Dec 1, 1996
            Iola V., March 18, 1926 - Aug 4, 1979 (Section 108)

            Hmm - no HARRIS and no PAUL.
            Are you sure that it was HARRIS, not HARRY? or HARRISON?

            Would you please connect some YEARS or DECADES with those names?
            Was your ggrandfather Harris alive in 1860? or 1910? or 1950?
            Do you know any of the wives'/mothers' names?
            How about your grandmother's first name (Paul's wife)?

            online book at Archive.org -
            Genealogy of the DENNY family in England and America
            published 1886
            http://www.archive.org/details/genealogyofdenny00denn
            (also available indexed on Ancestry.com)

            - Tom Knox

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 20, 2011
              without at least aproximate ages of robert and the name of Robert and Paul's spouses, there is not enough information to get you started on your quest to find your family history.

              FamilySearch.org shows a robert Denny, son of Albert and Mina Denny born about 1920, in Ogdensburg NY. is is possible your grandfather's name of paul might have been a middle name that he was known by familiarly and Albert was his first name used less often?

              the answers you seek will require alot more information than you have provided just to get started, and alot of work to get to each preceding generation in your tree. you will likely need to obtain a copy of your father's birth certificate to obtain his mothers name if you don't know it and confirm name of your grandfather, or visit the county he was married in to find the original copy of his marriage licence application to obtain his mother's name if you dont' know it. even if you are only interested in tracking your paternal line you still need to find the names of their spouces in order to track them properly.

              Some of your answers may be online, other answers may require traveling to or writing to libraries, Courthouses, cemeteries, etc, and contacting cousins you previously didn't know you had to ask them what they know that might help you. it is very important to get the help of family, and anyone who may have remembered your father when he was young, and who may still be alive. this friend of your father's may have information you you Grandfather and parrents that may prove helpful.

              even if I couldn't get you the answer you need, I hope that I gave you some helpful tips to find your answers, and if you get stumped please ask more questions and i'd be happy to help.

              if you are unsure how to get started once you have all the information I've mentioned, you can ask questions here to help you get started or most county libraries, have staff that are helpfull and can point you to the resources to get you started and there are also how-to resources online to help you get started. here is the address of one good how-to source...

              http://genealogy.about.com/cs/beginnerscorner/ht/family_tree.htm

              if all this is too much work for your schedule you can hire researchers to do it for you. your best bet is going to be to hire one in the county of your ancestors so for

              here is a bulitin board post that might be the paul you are looking for if so you will want to contact the person who posted the message to assist you. hopefully the email address is still current as message was posted 8 years ago.

              Re: SEGUIN, DENNY
              Michelle Mereau Murphy
              email: ajm1967@...
              Classification: Query
              Surnames: SEGUIN, DENNY

              Nancy-

              My gggrandparents are Paul Denny and Mary Seguin. While I don't have any information on Paul's ancestors, for Mary, her line can be traced back to Quebec and eventually to France in the 1600s. There is a Seguin Family Association that has all that information. They just recently published a book with the family information.

              Regarding Paul and Mary's children in Ogdensburg, I have three children listed, Edward, Emma and Christine. My family is descended from Emma. What is your relation to the family? I would be very interested in sharing information further.

              Michelle

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

                > > Matthew DENNY, son of Robert DENNY,
                > > son of Paul DENNY, son of Harris DENNY (of Ogdensburg, NY)
                >
                > Inventory of Ogdensburgh Cemetery (C-D)
                > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~stlawgen/CEMETERY/Ogdensburgh/Ogdensburghcd.HTM
                > Denny (See also: Harper, Robinson)
                > Theodore B. Denny, US Army World War II; 1915 - 1983
                > William J. Denny, 1877-1927 (Section 18)
                > Lavina Watier, his wife, 1880-1952 (Section 18)
                > Carl S. Denny, PFC US Army World War II; 1921 - 1999
                > Olive G., 1918 -
                > Albert A. Denny, April 24, 1881 - April 14, 1957 (Section 101)
                > Mina Norval, his wife, June 3, 1897 - Sept 18, 1985 (Section 101)
                > Robert N. Denny, 1919-1947 (Section 101)
                > Irene, 1919-2000 (Section 101)
                > Howard W. Denny, Jan 29, 1900 - Sept 23, 1962 (Section 102)
                > Florence, June 20, 1903 - March 30, 1962(Section 102)
                > Garfield F. Denny, BM1 US Navy; July 21, 1942 - March 13, 1989
                > Gregory Ogden Denny, SN US Navy Vietnam; June 1, 1947 - May 23, 2003
                > Patricia, June 7, 1950- (Section 108)
                > Howard W. Denny, Sgt US Army World War II; July 10, 1921 - Dec 1, 1996
                > Iola V., March 18, 1926 - Aug 4, 1979 (Section 108)
                >
                > Hmm - no HARRIS and no PAUL.
                > Are you sure that it was HARRIS, not HARRY? or HARRISON?
                >
                > Would you please connect some YEARS or DECADES with those names?
                > Was your ggrandfather Harris alive in 1860? or 1910? or 1950?
                > Do you know any of the wives'/mothers' names?
                > How about your grandmother's first name (Paul's wife)?
                >
                > online book at Archive.org -
                > Genealogy of the DENNY family in England and America
                > published 1886
                > http://www.archive.org/details/genealogyofdenny00denn
                > (also available indexed on Ancestry.com)
                >
                > - Tom Knox
                >

                > > --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "matthewdenny70" <matthewdenny70@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi My name is Matthew Denny, I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada)I really want to know where my family is from, my dads name is Robert and my grandfathers name is Paul, My great grandfathers name is Harris, I know he lived in Ogdensburg New York but im not sure for how long or anything before that... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                > > >

                > > Im not sure,I know he was a lamplighter though, and his son (my grandfather) his name is paul, I know he had a couple other kids but I cant remember their names right now.

                My grandfather (Paul) is still alive, his spouse (Beatrice) passed away, they had 3 kids, Robert, Paul, and Nancy, Robert is my father and is with my mother Yvonne begin, my uncle paul (people call him moochy) married christine dube, and my aunt nancy married mark faubert,Thats about all I can get, I hope you can help :D
              • matthewdenny70
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                  --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Verna Lynn" <verna_lynn2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi My name is Matthew Denny, I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada)I really want to know where my family is from, my dads name is Robert and my grandfathers name is Paul, My great grandfathers name is Harris, I know he lived in Ogdensburg New York but im not sure for how long or anything before that... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                  > > >

                  > > Im not sure,I know he was a lamplighter though, and his son (my grandfather) his name is paul, I know he had a couple other kids but I cant remember their names right now.

                  My grandfather (Paul) is still alive, his spouse (Beatrice) passed away, they had 3 kids, Robert, Paul, and Nancy, Robert is my father and is with my mother Yvonne begin, my uncle paul (people call him moochy) married christine dube, and my aunt nancy married mark faubert,Thats about all I can get, I hope you can help :D
                • Lucie Lou
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 24, 2011
                    Hey Matt !

                    Would it be possible to type your answers at the beginning of the email ? It would just be easier to read/find instead of going down the email... but please dont take this wrong.

                    Now onto your family, you have some Faubert in ur family ? I do too . My Greatgrandfather Eug�ne Paradis (M. to Celina Cormier) had a grand-daughter (C�cile Paradis) who married a Ren� Faubert on March 10, 1951, in Montreal (St-Pierre Ap�tre parish). That same C�cile had a brother named Jean-Paul Paradis who might have had a son named Pascal Faubert born in 1980 and passed in 2002 but I can't seem to pinpoint said Pascal to anyone, although I was told and confirmed by the cemetary where he is burried that he was the grand-son of Paul Paradis (father of Jean-Paul).

                    Jean, Jean-Paul and his wife (Yolande Gaudreault), Francoise Gosselin (she might be a sister of other Gosselin's i have in my family line - the cemetary's personel told me she was granted permission to be burried in this plot by the successors of the plot's owner, who was jean paradis)) and Pascal Faubert are all burried in the same plot.

                    Maybe we are linked in some ways ? Do any of those names ring any bells ?

                    LucieLou :)

                    To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                    From: matthewdenny70@...
                    Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:43:12 +0000
                    Subject: [genchatfriends] Re: Can someone help me find my family history? DENNY

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 25, 2011

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 25, 2011
                        Okay - a quick review of the evidence given -

                        Descendants tree - the lefthand number is a generation # -

                        1. Harris Denny (of Ogdensburg, NY; your ggfather; presumaby deceased)
                        .m (wife of Harris; your ggmother; presumaby deceased)
                        ...2. Paul Denny (still alive; your g'father)
                        ....m Beatrice (maiden?) (your g'mother; deceased)
                        ......3. Robert Denny (your father)
                        .......m Yvonne Begin (your mother)
                        .........4. Matthew Denny (that's YOU)
                        ......3. Paul Denny (uncle moochy)
                        .......m Christine Dube
                        ......3. Nancy Denny (aunt)
                        .......m Mark Faubert

                        Is this the obit index entry for your grandmother Beatrice?
                        Rootsweb Obituary Index
                        DENNY, Beatrice Margaret (HARRIS); 57; Ottawa ON;
                        - Ottawa Citizen (newspaper); 1998-1-24; aashfield
                        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~obituary/
                        So - her estimated birthyear is 1941.
                        And it would be estimated that her husband was born 1930-1941.
                        (Unfortunately, those censuses would be too recent and not released yet.)

                        Hmm - is that HARRIS her maiden name or husband's first name?

                        Do you have the basic documents of family history?
                        Copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, obituaries?
                        Do you know where was your g'father Paul's birthplace?
                        Canada or US? Town & county names?
                        And if you are now in Canada, and the family was from the U.S.,
                        then there should also be emigration information and naturalization papers - when and where did the DENNY family cross the border?
                        Or was your ggfather *from* Canada, and was just *visiting* Ogdensburg, NY?

                        - Tom Knox

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 25, 2011
                          how old do you suspect your grandfather Paul to be? that would be a great help. I have no clue where to begin to look without knowing what age person i'm looking for and since you haven't given your age either, I can't even guestimate what age person i'm looking for.

                          its not like there's one big family tree out there and we just have to plug in a name on the internet to find your answers.

                          please if you want help fill in some of the blanks below....

                          Robert Denny son of
                          Paul Denny (born... Unknown date/place) (still living)
                          Beatrice Unknown maiden name(born Unknown date/place)(died unknown date/place)
                          father of Paul....
                          Harris Denny (born... Unknown date/place)(died unknown date/place)

                          Also... is it possible that Paul and his parrents were immigrants?

                          if you want answers you will need to be able to have enough information for us to start. please provide some of the missing information. as much as possible, not just one or two answers. you may have to contact living relatives to obtain this information, and if they can't or won't help you, you may have to obtain birth certificates and marriage licenses from the county they were born or wed in, to obtain enough information to begin your search. death dates would be helpfull in case there is an obit out there that might yeild some information. without knowing a death date or place, I can't find the obit, if its even on the internet.

                          although you have given additional information, currently you have not provided enough information to yield any viable results on searches I have tried. I'm trying to help, but you don't seem to want to put much effort into getting your answers, you seem to want someone else to do your work for you. if you don't have the nessisary information you will have to work to obtain this information before anyone can begin to help. just as we each did to build our own family trees. alot of times most of the information needed to get started isn't on the internet because information on still living people is not made public so you may have to do some footwork to get started.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 26, 2011
                            Obituary for Donald DUBE, father of Christine DUBE DENNY (your aunt, or the wife of your uncle Paul if you prefer)
                            http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Donald-Dube&lc=3199&pid=150937298&mid=4665759&locale=en_CA
                            http://www.legacy.com/can-ottawa/obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=150951457