Re: [genchatfriends] information on mental institutions

  • Gale Nash
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
      Not everyone that was in a state hospital was mentally ill. My great
      grandmother was in one because she was senile. Thats what they did with
      senile people years ago. My great aunt was in a state hospital after her
      mother passed because she was not able to be mainstreamed without lots of
      care so the family put her in the state hospital. She didn't function well
      but did beautiful handwork.

      Gale Prince Nash

      On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, genseeker48 <genseeker48@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The only people still alive are us grandchildren. All of our parents are
      > deceased. Since I am the only one in the family doing the family history,
      > they are all relying on my to obtain that info. I found out something
      > interesting yesterday. Due to state budget cuts, they are closing this
      > facility very soon. So, I need to make a decision about what I will do.

    • Lori
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
        I didn't catch all this topic, but they also used state hospitals for TB. My
        dad's sister was in one here in PA, and possible 2 of them.
        Lori

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
          I'm afraid state hospitals were the 'dumping grounds' for all sorts of
          situations and diagnoses. : (

          Anny

          Not everyone that was in a state hospital was mentally ill. My great
          grandmother was in one because she was senile. Thats what they did with
          senile people years ago. My great aunt was in a state hospital after her
          mother passed because she was not able to be mainstreamed without lots of
          care so the family put her in the state hospital. She didn't function well
          but did beautiful handwork.

          Gale Prince Nash

          On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, genseeker48 <genseeker48@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > The only people still alive are us grandchildren. All of our parents are
          > deceased. Since I am the only one in the family doing the family history,
          > they are all relying on my to obtain that info. I found out something
          > interesting yesterday. Due to state budget cuts, they are closing this
          > facility very soon. So, I need to make a decision about what I will do.

        • Judy Grundy
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
            My great aunt who was in the State Hospital in MO was senile and she also had a kidney disease. She was 81 when she died.
            What bothers me is none of the family lived in MO. Why dump her there?
            Judy
            Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
              That seems quite curious. Maybe there were no places open at the state in which they lived???????? I don’t know. Weird.

              Just the thought of being ‘left’ without anyone thinking someone needs visiting is too sad to me. But I know people have lots of things going on in life that sometimes prevent lots of visiting. Still, I don’t think our society is terribly respectful of the elderly, weak or sick. Even if senility or dementia makes it seem like there is no recognition, surely there is some comfort received??? What do you guys think? What have you experienced in such cases?

              My grandparents had all sorts of problems in their marriage during their younger years – lots of verbal fighting, threatening divorce (in the 1920’s and 30’s which was virtually unheard of), etc. I think much of it stemmed from my grandmother holding her 2 yr old as he bled to death. She didn’t emotionally connect with hardly anyone after that. Nonetheless, over time, they mellowed and had comfortable relationship. When she developed beginning stages of dementia, he just stayed closer and made sure she was safe and had everything she needed. When she became terminally ill, in terrible pain and was hospitalized, he was there early every morning – stayed 12 hrs – went home to sleep. Back again the next morning. Every day for 3 months. I love that he did that for my grandmother. I’ve not been around a lot of people with dementia, but I choose to believe his presence was comforting to her on some level.

              Anny

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                Oh - I can see how that would've happened. As a means of quarantining the
                TB patients.

                My paternal grandfather was in a TB hospital in Kerrville, TX, in the
                1930's. It was in a high/dry/sunny area which was recommended for TB
                patients. Those hospitals were residential hospitals for extended stays. I
                wonder if those were considered state institutions or if they were private
                hospitals that had to be paid for???

                Anny

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Amy, the ones here in PA were called State Hospitals, but were just for TB.
                  And they didn't really have any place else to put them.
                  I contacted the Historical Soc. Where one was located and the lady was very
                  helpful. She actually sent me a full-size information book on the hospital.
                  I thought she could help me find some medical info on my aunt, but after
                  awhile, I got a letter about the new privacy laws, so no help there. I have
                  her basic info, but I'm curious about her condition, like when she was
                  admitted. And how she ended up here when she died. And she was only 16 years
                  old. A year before her death she wrote a letter to her aunt and uncle while
                  she was in the hospital and a few days after a surgery. I have that letter,
                  that aunt gave it to me.
                  Lori

                • ragweed@e-pops.org
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                    There used to be one on South Mountain for TB. My grandmother's second husband died there.

                    However, there was a "State Hospital" in Harrisburg, PA that was for the mentally ill.

                    Joseph

                    From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                    Amy, the ones here in PA were called State Hospitals, but were just for TB.

                  • Lucie Lou
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                      the more we talk about this, the more I don't get that whole privacy law thing.. we have it here too on Quebec. I mean what harm could it do to have vital information about our ancestors and where they came from etc....... sad they wont let us get that :(

                      Lucie :)

                      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                        Joseph, guess what, South Mountain was the one she was in when she wrote
                        that letter. And the one I got the book from.
                        I don't know for sure if she was transferred there from the one in Cresson.
                        According to their website, they closed the children's ward and it said some
                        of the kids were transferred to South Mountain. I wish I could find out when
                        she was diagonessed and when and which hospitals she was in. Just curious.
                        Lori

                        From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                          Small world. Sounds like South Mountain had more services than I thought. I thought it was just for TB patients. Children? What were they in for, I wonder?

                          Joseph

                          From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                            Joseph, she had TB. She died in 1952, and as far as I know that's what it
                            was used for back then, I don't know if it was a regular hospital as well,
                            or if that changed in the later years.

                            From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                          • Jthrly@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                              The mental hospital in Milledgeville Ga covered many acres and had lots of
                              buildings on the campus I guess you could call it. They had fields where
                              they grew vegetables and fruits that were used to feed the people and
                              several dairies. The patients who were not violent worked in the areas
                              outside the buildings including the fields and the dairy. Only the violent
                              people were not allowed outside. Most of my family that lived in the area
                              worked there. My uncle ran one of the dairies and the men would walk from
                              the buildings to the dairy each morning and back in the afternoon. Once, I
                              remember one of the men jumped off a wagon being pulled by a tractor and all
                              the other patients jumped off and chased him down. One man would put a rock
                              on a fence post each day going to the dairy and take it off carefully each
                              afternoon. I remember asking my uncle about it and he said that it was just
                              one of the things that made that man feel better and not to be concerned.
                              One uncle worked in the violent ward and I can remember him telling my Dad
                              about some of the things that happened. They were locked up on wings but
                              could move around on that wing. They would scream and yell and that was
                              freighting to a small child as I was about 10-12 at the time. Many different
                              building were on the place and still are. Several stories high too. Women
                              were in some, children in some and men in others. Each area had a place for
                              the violent people away from others. I also remember they housed people who
                              had committed crimes and had been judged insane. They were not allowed to
                              wandered around but kept in a prison like area. The children were the ones
                              who worried me and I remember Aunt Jane saying more of their parents and
                              families did not visit. She was a nurse in one of the Children's homes.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                This hospital area may h ave had an area for sick people like TB and other
                                illnesses. I will have to ask my cousin who worked and retired from there as
                                did both her parents. She is in her 70's now. The land owned by the hospital
                                was as large as the town counting the fields and dairy areas.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                  Just checked and this hospital is called Central State Hospital in
                                  Milledgeville Ga now. It list all the things they treat and house people for
                                  If you can check the place you are interesting in, it might have this on
                                  the first page. One of the things mentioned on this home page was
                                  developmental Disabilities and mental retardation. Maybe the children were
                                  there because of something like this.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                    So I take it that the letter didn't provide much information?

                                    Gee - she was awfully young to endure all that by herself : (

                                    Anny

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                      The TB epidemic in the early 1900's took so many lives. I know for sure
                                      that I lost a great aunt and great grandfather to it.

                                      I was very sad to learn a few years ago from one of my dad's 1st cousins
                                      that my great grandmother thought my grandfather made one of his brothers
                                      sick with TB when he made a visit home. I can honestly say that if my
                                      grandfather had known he was ill with TB, he wouldn't have exposed anyone
                                      unnecessarily. I think my grandmother held a grudge against my grandfather
                                      because he ran away when he was 14. Still .what a horrible thing for her to
                                      blame her son for. Especially since my grandparents were VERY familiar with
                                      TB since they had my grandmother's sister move in with them so my
                                      grandmother could nurse her through the TB. Sadly, my great aunt didn't
                                      recover.

                                      My dad's cousin also told me that my dad's paternal great grandmother was a
                                      bit of a 'chilly' person. I can't say I have a lot of warm feelings for her
                                      b/c of saying such things about her own son. She had another son who was a
                                      bit of a hobo for many years. I hate to think what she had to say about
                                      him! He did turn his life around and I've had wonderful information from
                                      one of five step-daughters. Among the personal papers she sent me was a
                                      copy of my mother's obituary. If he liked my mother, I like him : )

                                      Anny

                                      From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@... <mailto:lori.hilty%40verizon.net>
                                      ]

                                      Amy, the ones here in PA were called State Hospitals, but were just for TB.

                                    • Arlyne Warner
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 30, 2011
                                        Hi ! Many families from the !900's and earlier thought Mental Illness was something NO one should talk about. Our families have many issues that they have keep secret ! Also, there is the issue of "Family Pride" involved. I have a sister with Paranoid Schizophrenia who spent the majority of her life in Mental Institutions.The last one was in Mississippi, she is a Katrinia survivor, and now lives with me. She's a joy in my life, due to her continuing to take her medication every day.While searching for my genealogy, I found out my Mother, Grandmother, etc. all had the same Mental Illness. They were sick Not Bad, as my family tried to make them out to be.Mental Illness is nothing to be ashamed of. God Bless You !
                                         If you have any questions,Please email me. If I don't have an answer, I'll try to find one.
                                        Sincerely, Arlyne

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 30, 2011
                                          Arlyne,

                                          I'm SO happy your sister is with you and doing well on her meds.

                                          You're so right - those were not "bad people" - they were sick. The last 30
                                          yrs has brought a lot of relief through psychotropic medications.

                                          I'm sorry your sister was a victim of Katrina. That was such a horrendous
                                          storm. Was she stuck there or had she evacuated?

                                          Anny