RE: [genchatfriends] information on mental institutions

  • Lucie Lou
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 22, 2011
      I imagine it would be hard to get medical documents. Have you tried to make your demand in writing explaining who you are in relation to the person and why you want those documents ? I work in a law firm (Montreal, Qc.) and we can only get medical documents with a probabe from the person authorizing us to get such copies or if you are one of the heirs to the Estate.

      You have nothing to lose by making a written demand to the archives department of the hospital he passed away at.

      Good luck..

      Lucie :)

      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      From: tro_glin@...
      Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:23:56 +0000
      Subject: [genchatfriends] information on mental institutions

      my grandfather died in the state hospital in Wyoming and all my life
      I have this stigma of the state hospital being a mental institution
      I got his probate from Wyo with lots of information and it does
      indicate the reason for his death. I tried to get more information
      form the hospital but they would not reveal any more than I had
      even tho it was 70 yrs old and my cousin and I are his only direct
      living relatives.
      It might depend on the facility and the laws governing them

    • Judy Grundy
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 23, 2011
        I think I will find the same thing but I will give it a go anyway. What I can't understand is why the relatives put this great great aunt in a mental institution in MO? The family all lived in Texas and I know she lived in Dallas with her daughter around 1910. Matter of fact there was and is a state mental institution right out side of Dallas.
        It was not listed on her death certificate she was in a mental institution.
        Judy
        Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 27, 2011
          I have a similar problem. My grandfather died in the State Infirmary in Tewksbury, MA in 1931. They told me that the only way I could gain access to his info is if I apply to the probate court and get a judgment. My question is: Would I have to had a POA over him in order to file for that info or as his granddaughter, would I automatically qualify?

        • Lucie Lou
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 27, 2011
            I would say get a POA from whoever is/did handle his estate, if they are still living.

            Lucie :)

            To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
            From: genseeker48@...
            Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:59:00 +0000

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
              The only people still alive are us grandchildren. All of our parents are deceased. Since I am the only one in the family doing the family history, they are all relying on my to obtain that info. I found out something interesting yesterday. Due to state budget cuts, they are closing this facility very soon. So, I need to make a decision about what I will do.

            • Lucie Lou
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                Hope you find what you want :)

                Maybe, if it's worth it and if you have the means, have a lawyer draw up a motion (affidavit) requesting permission to get such papers and explain the reasons why you need/want them.

                Lucie :)

                To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
                From: genseeker48@...
                Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:23:59 +0000

                The only people still alive are us grandchildren. All of our parents are deceased. Since I am the only one in the family doing the family history, they are all relying on my to obtain that info. I found out something interesting yesterday. Due to state budget cuts, they are closing this facility very soon. So, I need to make a decision about what I will do.

              • Gale Nash
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Not everyone that was in a state hospital was mentally ill. My great
                  grandmother was in one because she was senile. Thats what they did with
                  senile people years ago. My great aunt was in a state hospital after her
                  mother passed because she was not able to be mainstreamed without lots of
                  care so the family put her in the state hospital. She didn't function well
                  but did beautiful handwork.

                  Gale Prince Nash

                  On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 AM, genseeker48 <genseeker48@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > The only people still alive are us grandchildren. All of our parents are
                  > deceased. Since I am the only one in the family doing the family history,
                  > they are all relying on my to obtain that info. I found out something
                  > interesting yesterday. Due to state budget cuts, they are closing this
                  > facility very soon. So, I need to make a decision about what I will do.

                • Lori
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                    I didn't catch all this topic, but they also used state hospitals for TB. My
                    dad's sister was in one here in PA, and possible 2 of them.
                    Lori

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                      I'm afraid state hospitals were the 'dumping grounds' for all sorts of
                      situations and diagnoses. : (

                      Anny

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                        My great aunt who was in the State Hospital in MO was senile and she also had a kidney disease. She was 81 when she died.
                        What bothers me is none of the family lived in MO. Why dump her there?

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                          That seems quite curious. Maybe there were no places open at the state in which they lived???????? I don’t know. Weird.

                          Just the thought of being ‘left’ without anyone thinking someone needs visiting is too sad to me. But I know people have lots of things going on in life that sometimes prevent lots of visiting. Still, I don’t think our society is terribly respectful of the elderly, weak or sick. Even if senility or dementia makes it seem like there is no recognition, surely there is some comfort received??? What do you guys think? What have you experienced in such cases?

                          My grandparents had all sorts of problems in their marriage during their younger years – lots of verbal fighting, threatening divorce (in the 1920’s and 30’s which was virtually unheard of), etc. I think much of it stemmed from my grandmother holding her 2 yr old as he bled to death. She didn’t emotionally connect with hardly anyone after that. Nonetheless, over time, they mellowed and had comfortable relationship. When she developed beginning stages of dementia, he just stayed closer and made sure she was safe and had everything she needed. When she became terminally ill, in terrible pain and was hospitalized, he was there early every morning – stayed 12 hrs – went home to sleep. Back again the next morning. Every day for 3 months. I love that he did that for my grandmother. I’ve not been around a lot of people with dementia, but I choose to believe his presence was comforting to her on some level.

                          Anny

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                            Oh - I can see how that would've happened. As a means of quarantining the
                            TB patients.

                            My paternal grandfather was in a TB hospital in Kerrville, TX, in the
                            1930's. It was in a high/dry/sunny area which was recommended for TB
                            patients. Those hospitals were residential hospitals for extended stays. I
                            wonder if those were considered state institutions or if they were private
                            hospitals that had to be paid for???

                            Anny

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                              Amy, the ones here in PA were called State Hospitals, but were just for TB.
                              And they didn't really have any place else to put them.
                              I contacted the Historical Soc. Where one was located and the lady was very
                              helpful. She actually sent me a full-size information book on the hospital.
                              I thought she could help me find some medical info on my aunt, but after
                              awhile, I got a letter about the new privacy laws, so no help there. I have
                              her basic info, but I'm curious about her condition, like when she was
                              admitted. And how she ended up here when she died. And she was only 16 years
                              old. A year before her death she wrote a letter to her aunt and uncle while
                              she was in the hospital and a few days after a surgery. I have that letter,
                              that aunt gave it to me.
                              Lori

                            • ragweed@e-pops.org
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                There used to be one on South Mountain for TB. My grandmother's second husband died there.

                                However, there was a "State Hospital" in Harrisburg, PA that was for the mentally ill.

                                Joseph

                                From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                  the more we talk about this, the more I don't get that whole privacy law thing.. we have it here too on Quebec. I mean what harm could it do to have vital information about our ancestors and where they came from etc....... sad they wont let us get that :(

                                  Lucie :)

                                  To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                    Joseph, guess what, South Mountain was the one she was in when she wrote
                                    that letter. And the one I got the book from.
                                    I don't know for sure if she was transferred there from the one in Cresson.
                                    According to their website, they closed the children's ward and it said some
                                    of the kids were transferred to South Mountain. I wish I could find out when
                                    she was diagonessed and when and which hospitals she was in. Just curious.
                                    Lori

                                    From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                      Small world. Sounds like South Mountain had more services than I thought. I thought it was just for TB patients. Children? What were they in for, I wonder?

                                      Joseph

                                      From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                        Joseph, she had TB. She died in 1952, and as far as I know that's what it
                                        was used for back then, I don't know if it was a regular hospital as well,
                                        or if that changed in the later years.

                                        From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@...]

                                      • Jthrly@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                          The mental hospital in Milledgeville Ga covered many acres and had lots of
                                          buildings on the campus I guess you could call it. They had fields where
                                          they grew vegetables and fruits that were used to feed the people and
                                          several dairies. The patients who were not violent worked in the areas
                                          outside the buildings including the fields and the dairy. Only the violent
                                          people were not allowed outside. Most of my family that lived in the area
                                          worked there. My uncle ran one of the dairies and the men would walk from
                                          the buildings to the dairy each morning and back in the afternoon. Once, I
                                          remember one of the men jumped off a wagon being pulled by a tractor and all
                                          the other patients jumped off and chased him down. One man would put a rock
                                          on a fence post each day going to the dairy and take it off carefully each
                                          afternoon. I remember asking my uncle about it and he said that it was just
                                          one of the things that made that man feel better and not to be concerned.
                                          One uncle worked in the violent ward and I can remember him telling my Dad
                                          about some of the things that happened. They were locked up on wings but
                                          could move around on that wing. They would scream and yell and that was
                                          freighting to a small child as I was about 10-12 at the time. Many different
                                          building were on the place and still are. Several stories high too. Women
                                          were in some, children in some and men in others. Each area had a place for
                                          the violent people away from others. I also remember they housed people who
                                          had committed crimes and had been judged insane. They were not allowed to
                                          wandered around but kept in a prison like area. The children were the ones
                                          who worried me and I remember Aunt Jane saying more of their parents and
                                          families did not visit. She was a nurse in one of the Children's homes.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                            This hospital area may h ave had an area for sick people like TB and other
                                            illnesses. I will have to ask my cousin who worked and retired from there as
                                            did both her parents. She is in her 70's now. The land owned by the hospital
                                            was as large as the town counting the fields and dairy areas.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                              Just checked and this hospital is called Central State Hospital in
                                              Milledgeville Ga now. It list all the things they treat and house people for
                                              If you can check the place you are interesting in, it might have this on
                                              the first page. One of the things mentioned on this home page was
                                              developmental Disabilities and mental retardation. Maybe the children were
                                              there because of something like this.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                                So I take it that the letter didn't provide much information?

                                                Gee - she was awfully young to endure all that by herself : (

                                                Anny

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 28, 2011
                                                  The TB epidemic in the early 1900's took so many lives. I know for sure
                                                  that I lost a great aunt and great grandfather to it.

                                                  I was very sad to learn a few years ago from one of my dad's 1st cousins
                                                  that my great grandmother thought my grandfather made one of his brothers
                                                  sick with TB when he made a visit home. I can honestly say that if my
                                                  grandfather had known he was ill with TB, he wouldn't have exposed anyone
                                                  unnecessarily. I think my grandmother held a grudge against my grandfather
                                                  because he ran away when he was 14. Still .what a horrible thing for her to
                                                  blame her son for. Especially since my grandparents were VERY familiar with
                                                  TB since they had my grandmother's sister move in with them so my
                                                  grandmother could nurse her through the TB. Sadly, my great aunt didn't
                                                  recover.

                                                  My dad's cousin also told me that my dad's paternal great grandmother was a
                                                  bit of a 'chilly' person. I can't say I have a lot of warm feelings for her
                                                  b/c of saying such things about her own son. She had another son who was a
                                                  bit of a hobo for many years. I hate to think what she had to say about
                                                  him! He did turn his life around and I've had wonderful information from
                                                  one of five step-daughters. Among the personal papers she sent me was a
                                                  copy of my mother's obituary. If he liked my mother, I like him : )

                                                  Anny

                                                  From: Lori [mailto:lori.hilty@... <mailto:lori.hilty%40verizon.net>
                                                  ]

                                                  Amy, the ones here in PA were called State Hospitals, but were just for TB.

                                                • Arlyne Warner
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 30, 2011
                                                    Hi ! Many families from the !900's and earlier thought Mental Illness was something NO one should talk about. Our families have many issues that they have keep secret ! Also, there is the issue of "Family Pride" involved. I have a sister with Paranoid Schizophrenia who spent the majority of her life in Mental Institutions.The last one was in Mississippi, she is a Katrinia survivor, and now lives with me. She's a joy in my life, due to her continuing to take her medication every day.While searching for my genealogy, I found out my Mother, Grandmother, etc. all had the same Mental Illness. They were sick Not Bad, as my family tried to make them out to be.Mental Illness is nothing to be ashamed of. God Bless You !
                                                     If you have any questions,Please email me. If I don't have an answer, I'll try to find one.
                                                    Sincerely, Arlyne

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 30, 2011
                                                      Arlyne,

                                                      I'm SO happy your sister is with you and doing well on her meds.

                                                      You're so right - those were not "bad people" - they were sick. The last 30
                                                      yrs has brought a lot of relief through psychotropic medications.

                                                      I'm sorry your sister was a victim of Katrina. That was such a horrendous
                                                      storm. Was she stuck there or had she evacuated?

                                                      Anny