RE: [genchatfriends] Visiting my ancestors

  • Leeann Boone
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 2011
      Ann Y Stokes,You havent happened to have seen the Stokes name spelled Stoik have you? My great grandmother on moms side was Adelaide Annella Stoik. She married Joseph Herman Carlsen in Wisconsin.

      12 is 3x better than 4!

      Packers FTW in 2011!

      YOOHOO! I'll make ya famous!-Billy The Kid "Young Guns 2"

      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      From: annystokes@...
      Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:53:29 -0500
      Subject: RE: [genchatfriends] Visiting my ancestors

      What a find! Glad you'd already heard the name so it struck a chord. How

      many times have we walked in cemeteries and seeing names we didn't know were

      connected to us?

      Anny

      From: legal_secretary_in_montreal2010@...

      Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 07:02:21 -0400

      Subject: [genchatfriends] Visiting my ancestors

      I would like to tell you guys and gals about a trip I decided to take

      yesterday.

      I am presently working on my genealogy and alot of my ancestors, on both of

      my parents' side, were born and buring in Quebec city, Canada. I have

      researched all I could find and found at least 6 of them that were in

      St-Charles Cemetary in Ste-Foy, Quebec. I am sure there are even more where

      I was at but need to research even more and most likely go back in a few

      weeks :-)

      First tombstone (imgp1014) I found was my gr8 grand-father/grand-mother on

      my mother's father's side, so her grand-parents. The cemetary is in 3

      separate small cemetaries and even with a map, I had the tuffest time

      finding their graves ..... how could I ? Well, I went up and down the same

      alley at least 5 times before I finally found them !!! The writing on it

      was so pale, no wonder I missed ! It was nice to have found them and was

      happy :-)

      I was shocked at a few TS that were "broken" in half or plainly in pieces.

      It was heartbreaking :( I mean TS do NOT break in half on their own !!!!

      heartbreaking and troubling too. Sooo disrespectful to have them broken in

      pieces... those people were HUMAN BEING who deserve respect !

      Onto my second one (imgp 1017). I found the stop according to the map but I

      could NOT see the TS!!! This one was not visible to the eye, only if you

      looked DOWN on the ground. It was one that wasnt up like most of the TS you

      have in cemetaries but more like a plaque stuck in the ground. The names

      you see on the TS are the ones of the 2 wifes of my gr8 grand-father Edgar.

      The 4th name I have no idea who it is, I will need to research this, I would

      presume a brother. Also burried there but not mentioned on the TS is my gr8

      gr8 grandmother (Edgar's mother) Seraphine Bernard.

      Third one (imgp1018), I was told that it was my gr8 gr8 grand-father/grand

      mother and I was shocked when I saw the TS... NOTHING and i mean absolutely

      nothing was written on it !!! I looked on both sides, not a line! The dark

      spots you see is dirt and even if i took it off, even upclose nothing is on

      it, which I find weird, even if they died in the late 1800's. I think also

      burried there, according to the map, was my gr8 gr8 gr8 grand-father R�gis

      Roy.

      Onto the last and fourth TS (imgp 1019), 6th TS as indicated on the map that

      was given to me. I was dissapointed at how many TS i found and some names

      were not on them :( anyways ... This TS is people on my father's side..

      Funny how some of my mother's and father's ancestors are in the same

      cemetary :) There are burried my gr8 gr8 grand-parents on my dad's

      mother's side. Jacques Olivier Vachon and Caroline Harbour (not on the TS).

      After all this running around, I almost missed my train back home (thanks to

      you Eugene and Celina... u were too hard to find LOL). So because of this I

      barely made it to my train back home. I am NOT kidding, I ran out of the cab

      at the station and hopped on the train and it wasnt even 20 seconds and it

      was leaving... phewwwwwwwwwwww.

      I wanted to share my experience visiting my ancestors. How about you ? Have

      you ever taken a trip somewhere to visit someone in your history ? Where

      were they at ? Let me know your story !

      Thanks for reading me !

      Lucie

      Montreal, Canada

    • Ron Gadzalinski
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2011
        WOW!   I have some ancestors buried in Prairie Home Cemetery in Waukesha.   The surnames are Daubner and Woodcock.

        -Ron

        From: legal_secretary_in_montreal2010@...
        Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 07:02:21 -0400

[...]

        burried there, according to the map, was my gr8 gr8 gr8 grand-father Régis

        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2011
          Not so far -- but I don't usually do the Stokes research as my husband has
          done a lot. He has his lineage traced very far back which makes me crazy
          jealous. : )

          Anny