Re: [genchatfriends] from Andrew to Andrews?

  • Janie
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
      Were the Elma and Elmer twins?

      -------Original Message-------

      From: ddisaac
      Date: 2/12/2011 5:38:59 PM
      To: genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [genchatfriends] from Andrew to Andrews?

      My family did the same as yours ~ dropped the 's' at the end of Isaacs. I
      knew where my paternal grandparents were born, lived, worked, bought
      property and where they are buried. Their headstones read Isaac ~ no 's'.
      After many block walls, I found my paternal greatgrandmother listed in birth
      records as Davis, infant. Once I got on the right track I found the rest of
      the family. My family lost the 's' somewhere between OK City and Texas. and
      between Texas and CA. Some sources had the 's' others did not, my dad was
      born with the 's' but when it was dropped his paperwork showed no 's'.
      Also my paternal greatgrandmother was named Elma Grace (which I did not
      know) and was another reason for not finding 'Grace' Isaac even though that
      was the name on her headstone. Her brother was named Elmer and I'm assuming
      they called her Grace so as not the get the kids confused ~ especially when
      it came to punishment!~! LOL.
      Good luck with your family hunt.

      Hugs,
      Patty

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2011
        --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "longhorn_jay" <longhorn_jay@...> wrote:
        >> On a broader note, how long should I keep up with Ancestry before I bailout into Family Tree maker and start going to hardcore resources Family History catalog online I have been reading about.

        I would not drop Ancestry too soon, unless finances are a big reason for you... They (Ancestry)are always addig new information. I would ADD the other sites and Family History Center trips and information to the rest of your research sites. FamilyTreeMaker (the computer program for your hard drive which will link to Ancestry) or any other program (though they probably won't LINK to Ancestry)is good to have on your computer (laptop/netbook/or desktop [or all three!]) to access your "Tree" even when you do not have access to the internet.. Useful when you are in a repository that does not have access to the 'net, and you want to update info immediately. Then you can backup the online tree later.
        Happy hunting!