RE: [genchatfriends] Mental institutions

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
      Keri,

      I just Googled Jacksonville, IL + 1938 + hospitals. A lot of references to
      Manteno Insane Asylum (later called Mental Hospital and other names). I
      forgot they were called insane asylums.

      I sure hope this isn't where your relative was. This place looks like the
      movie, "The Snake Pit". My mother read the book and then we watched the
      movie. The movie was an expose' about the cruelties of American insane
      aylums in the 1930's-1940's.

      There is a partial patient list on this website:

      http://www.mantenostatehospital.com/wordpress/

      Maybe there are other websites with patient lists. You might also Google:
      criminally insane patients + 1938 + Jacksonville, IL. Or other
      combinations.

      I would bet you'll eventually uncover information about your relative. Do
      you know if she was ever released? Have you looked for death records?

      Anny

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
        Oh wow - this project has a genealogy section to help people find the names
        of former patients:

        http://www.mantenostatehospital.com/wordpress/?page_id=344

        Anny

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011