Please tell me how you would proceed

  • Stan Arney
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 7, 2010
      I have a question about, how you would proceed, given the following
      predicaments:

      Brick wall of Jacob Arney

      Jacob Arney died in Lincoln County, North Carolina, in 1784

      Jacob Arney’s will, only mentions his wife, Elizabeth, and children (no
      specific child).

      Jacob Arney moved his family, from Pennsylvania to North Carolina in
      1767.

      Jacob Arney’s son, Christian Arney, Sr., was born in York(town), York
      County, Pennsylvania, in 1750.

      It’s not believed that Elizabeth was Jacob’s first (or only) wife.

      The “brick wall” is trying to find information on Jacob Arney, when he
      lived in Pennsylvania.

      The Pennsylvania State Archives Series renders no information.

      Where would you start looking, to try to find information, on Jacob
      Arney?

      Brick wall of Peter Arney (son of Jacob Arney)

      Peter Arney was (supposedly) born in Tryon County, North Carolina, in
      1772 [No documentation has been found].

      In 1787, Peter Arney, orphan son of Jacob Arney, dec’d, age 15, was
      bound over to John Fullenwider, until the age of 21.

      Between 1790-1793, Peter Arney moved to the area of Wythe County,
      Virginia, where he married Margaret (surname unknown), and began his family.

      [Note:  I have found no
      documentation of Peter Arney’s marriage (in Wythe County, Virginia), nor any
      documentation of any of his children’s births in Wythe County, Virginia]

      Around 1799, Peter Arney moved to the Cumberland area of Kentucky.

      Around 1801, Peter Arney moved into the area of Smith County,
      Tennessee.

      1801, Peter Arney’s signature is found on a petition to halt the
      annexation of Wilson & Smith Counties in Tennessee to form a new
      county.  This apparently failed.

      1802, Peter Arney is found of the tax roll of Jackson County, Tennessee
      (which was formed from Smith County)

      1814, Peter Arney purchases 300 acres of land, in Overton County,
      Tennessee, from John Sevier (the 1st Governor of Tennessee).

      It “appears” that Peter Arney lived in the same location (from
      1800-1814), only the boundaries and therefore counties changed, during that
      time frame.

      [Note:  I have found no
      documentation of any of Peter Arney’s children born in Tennessee]

      Peter Arney lived in Overton County, Tennessee, from (at least) 1814
      until his death in 1845.

      Peter Arney’s name appears on the US Federal Census for Tennessee (in
      Overton County) for the years 1820-1840.

      In 1840, it lists his age between 70-80, which would place his birth
      year between 1760-1770.

      In 1830, it lists his age between 50-60, which would place his birth
      year between 1770-1780.

      I would like to find a map, showing exactly where Peter Arney’s
      original land purchase was in Overton County, TN.

      I would also like to find a map, showing all lands Peter Arney owned at
      the time of his death, in 1845.

      I would also like to find proof of his marriage, and proof of the
      births/baptism of any of his children.

      Besides the Census, what other documentation could I expect to find on
      Peter Arney?

      Tax Rolls, other land deals (sales/purchases), etc.

      Peter Arney was probably buried where Dale Hollow Lake was
      created.  Therefore, his grave marker
      (may or may not) have been moved, with the “unknown graves”.

      Part of Peter Arney’s land, still exists to this day (believe it or
      not).

      I was told that a person was taken there (several years ago), they had
      to travel by boat, over a lake, because that was the only way to get to it
      (suggesting it was probably an island).
      The person could not remember the name of the lake, and is not reachable
      (either in a Senior Center or passed away) anymore.

      My best guess is she was talking about “County Line Island” in
      Tennessee, the actual borders of Pickett and Clay Counties cross on that island,
      which was once part of Overton County.

      How, the person taking her, knew it was Peter Arney’s land, in not
      known.

      Is there something still on the island that defines it as Peter’s?

      Or was it just information “passed down”

      How would you proceed to find answers to these questions?

    • cathyuthus@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 7, 2010
        since it's the state of Pennsylvania I would check the lutheran records or the german records for any information along with parts of Virginia, Maryland and Delaware on a historical standpoint

        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 9, 2010
          I found this at Ancestry.com . Is this your Peter Arney? It's later
          than you show him in TN, but maybe?

          This is all there was in the entry.

          Groom Name: Peter Arney
          Bride Name: Catherine Fox
          Marriage Date: 2 Jun 1827
          County: Wythe
          State: Virginia

          Joy Weaver
          Islip, NY

        • Stan Arney
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 9, 2010
            Ms. Weaver,
            Thank you for being so kind, as to take time out of your day, to have a look.
            To answer your Q?  There in lies the "rub".
            My Peter Arney, was supposedly married, to Margaret (surname unknown), around 1793, in Wythe County, Virginia.Margaret was also the name of their first child, also born around 1793 (Wythe County, VA)Adam would have been born 1797 (Wythe County, VA)John would have been born 1802 (Wythe County, VA)
            Oddly enough, Peter Arney is listed on the tax roll of Jackson County, Tennessee, in 1802.
            Now, it is possible, that Peter went to Tennessee during good weather, to "work on the land" and returned home, to Virginia, for the Winter.  Meaning he could have left his wife, Margaret, and their children, back in Virginia (since the children would have been very young) while he prepared their new home in Tennessee.
            Is this possible?
            Now, it's possible that my Peter's wife, Margaret, could have died and Peter could have returned to Virginia to get another bride, but that seems unlikely.  More than likely the Peter Arney you referred to, was a child of one of my Peter's relatives (ex. brothers).
            Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.
            Sincerely,
            Stan Arney

            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
              I don't know if any of this is helpfull but this is what I found in the Earney/Arney family surname message board on Rootsweb.com. if any of this is useful you might try contacting the post-er of the information to see if you can locate the source documents for the information. the message board post author listed her name as Jan with the email address of verhaal@... and the post is dated feb 25th of 2001. maybe if Jan can't help she can put you in touch with someone who can. obviously someone else was researching this line, so there is someone out there that you can colaborate with.

              here is the post.......

              Descendants of Jacob Arny

              1 Jacob Arny
              .. +Elizabeth Unknown
              . 2 Christian Arney b: Abt. 1750 in Yorktown, PA d: November 1834 in Lincoln County, NC
              ..... +Mary Wilson b: Abt. 1752 in Rowan, NC m: Abt. 1783 in Lincoln County, NC
              ..... 3 John Arney b: in Lincoln County, NC
              ......... +Betsy Tevebaugh b: October 29, 1786 in Lincoln County, NC m: January 28, 1808 in Lincoln County, NC
              ......... 4 Christian Earney b: November 25, 1808 in Lincoln County, NC d: January 21, 1862
              ............. +Mary Elizabeth Short b: May 15, 1813 in Stokes County, NC m: May 20, 1832 in Lincoln County, NC d: April 03, 1895
              ............. 5 Amanda Emelin Earney b: May 10, 1833 d: May 14, 1895 in Crawford County, MO
              ................. +George Washington Walker b: Abt. 1827 in NC m: September 28, 1850 in Crawford County, MO d: Aft. 1880 in Crawford County, MO
              ............. 5 William Earney b: February 12, 1835 d: September 18, 1835 in NC
              ............. 5 [1] Adelia Salena Luvina Earney b: July 27, 1836 in NC
              ................. +William Jenkins m: March 15, 1850
              ............. *2nd Spouse of [1] Adelia Salena Luvina Earney:
              ................. +Robert Dawson m: August 27, 1854
              ............. 5 David Franlin Earney b: May 15, 1839 d: March 25, 1862 in Crawford County, MO
              ............. 5 Sarah Jane Earney b: Bet. March 04, 1841 - 1842
              ................. +Adam Auther Rawlins m: September 03, 1863 in MO
              ............. 5 Mary Delana Earney b: March 21, 1842 in MO.
              ................. +Henry Beers b: 1847 in MO.
              ............. 5 Marha Angelina Earney b: August 03, 1845 d: August 24, 1848 in Missouri
              ............. 5 Elizabeth F. Earney b: March 18, 1849
              ............. 5 Margaline Earney b: February 24, 1853
              ............. 5 John George Earney b: May 12, 1854 d: 1932
              ................. +Hannah Huges b: 1878 d: 1917
              ......... 4 Sarah (Sally) Earney b: March 13, 1813 in Lincoln County, NC d: October 10, 1888
              ............. +John Jr. Short b: October 12, 1804 in NC m: January 15, 1827 in NC d: February 10, 1880 in Dry Creek, Crawford County, MO
              ............. 5 James M Short b: 1845 in near Henry Eaton School, Old Short Farm d: November 07, 1920 in Cherryville, Crawford County, MO
              ................. +Eliza Ferguson
              ......... 4 Martin Earney b: January 18, 1810 in Lincoln County, NC d: January 21, 1862 in Berryman, Crawford County, MO
              ............. +Lydia Deal b: October 02, 1813 in Lincoln County, NC m: October 06, 1835 in Prob. NC d: January 05, 1904 in Earney Cemetery, Crawford County, MO
              ..... 3 Juliana Earney
              ..... 3 Catherine Earney
              ..... 3 Christian (Christy) Earney
              ..... 3 [2] Jacob Earney b: 1790 in Lincoln County, NC d: 1859 in Crawford County, MO
              ......... +Mary (Polly) Unknown m: Bef. 1813
              ..... *2nd Spouse of [2] Jacob Earney:
              ......... +Sally Dean m: August 12, 1813 in NC
              ..... 3 Elizabeth Arney
              ..... 3 Harvey Arney
            • Verna Lynn
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
                entire web address if fellow Arney resercher that I refferenced in my last post didn't show.
                here is the remaining part that did not post.....

                verhaal at mediaone dot net

                hope this helps it looks like the same Jacob Arney to me and that the Christian Arney that she is referencing may be the brother of your peter. they were all born and died in the counties and states you were refferencing

                hope this helps,
                Verna

                --- In genealogychatfriends@yahoogroups.com, "Verna Lynn" <verna_lynn2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > ............. 5 James M Short b: 1845 in near Henry Eaton School, Old Short Farm d: November 07, 1920 in Cherryville, Crawford County, MO
                > ................. +Eliza Ferguson
                > ......... 4 Martin Earney b: January 18, 1810 in Lincoln County, NC d: January 21, 1862 in Berryman, Crawford County, MO
                > ............. +Lydia Deal b: October 02, 1813 in Lincoln County, NC m: October 06, 1835 in Prob. NC d: January 05, 1904 in Earney Cemetery, Crawford County, MO
                > ..... 3 Juliana Earney
                > ..... 3 Catherine Earney
                > ..... 3 Christian (Christy) Earney
                > ..... 3 [2] Jacob Earney b: 1790 in Lincoln County, NC d: 1859 in Crawford County, MO
                > ......... +Mary (Polly) Unknown m: Bef. 1813
                > ..... *2nd Spouse of [2] Jacob Earney:
                > ......... +Sally Dean m: August 12, 1813 in NC

              • Stan Arney
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
                  Ms. Lynn,
                  I want to thank you so very much, for taking time out of your day, to give me some help, I really appreciate it.
                  Yes, Christian Arney, Sr. was the brother of my Peter Arney.Both Jacob Arney (in 1782) and Christian Arney, Sr. (in 1834) died in Lincoln County, NC.Peter Arney (in 1845) died in Overton County, TN.
                  I will see what I can learn, from what you have given me.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
                    Lincoln county was formed in 1768, from Mecklenburg county, and named Tryon.Dont forget to check in those Counties as well.