Re:Hi, I'm New!

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2010
      I had to physically go to the state where my great-grandparents lived and died,
      in order to pick up the "papertrail" on my brick wall.  Seems after Arthur (my
      great-grandfather died), the trail dried up.  :-(  He worked for the RR and I
      was told he was killed on the job.  Recently, my mother who suffers from
      Alzheimer's piped up that Arthur had been hit by a train.  :-O  It is my
      opinion, if this is what killed him, how and/or why would I forget this tidbit
      --- it is entirely shocking to me.  And while I didn't learn what killed him, we
      did find a "death notice" in the local newspaper archieves that told me so much
      about him and his family that I never knew.

      We are still on the road, so I will fill-in the details of my search after I
      return home.  Take heart. You just have to find the right publication to look
      through.

      Good luck on your search!

      ~april

      "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

    • Judy Grundy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2010
        Thanks for the encouragement. I decided I had to regroup and really think about what I had as clues. I decided to go back one more generation because I was almost certain I had the right family line.
        After my mom came to live with me, we were asked many times if we were related to the Perkins in Bastrop Tx or in La Grange Tx. We would say we don't think so. Both Bastrop and La Grange are only 13 miles from me either going west or east.
        By going back one more generation I found out that the Perkins line from Hickman CO TN migrated to Bastrop. Maybe I have a clue right at my own backdoor!
        I laughingly told my husband my great grandfather could be buried at my own backdoor.
        Wish me luck
        Judy
        Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.